Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 28-08-06, 10:03 AM

got my video card finally...turning on my comp finally!!!......and...

woo, my computer turned on (after a scare i might add, i had connected the soft power on switch to the wrong set of prongs so i thought it was not booting). but yeah it works great up utill the part of the windows installation where it says "windows setup cannot detect any hard disks in your computer". i know this hard drive sucks...but i also know it works i used it with my old computer and i have not touched it since then...i reformatted it before i removed all the old parts out of my box. it powers up alright (i can hear it) but the mobo just does not recognise it.

i have checked the cables, is there anything that i should have done that i have not...i notice that there is a small 8 pin connector on the back of the HD that is not being used, but i assume that is for a RAID or SCSI or something.

If not is there a way to install windows on an external HDD (with another working computer of course), and boot up off that?

thanks people

please excuse my gross ineptitude

thanks again

thanks again

[edit]: sorry for posting in the AMD forum...just not sure where else i should post, and just out of habit i guess, feel free to move this post :P

Old 28-08-06, 10:09 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to FragTek Send a message via MSN to FragTek Send a message via Yahoo to FragTek
Yes, u can install to an external USB hard drive but you have to modify the USB driver so that it doesn't disconnect during the boot procedure (Win XP resets the USB driver like 3 times during startup). If you google Windows XP on External Hard Drive you can probably find a step by step guide for getting in to on to a different drive.

That 10gb hd u have sounds like it finally bit the dust, that sucker is OOOOLD. lol.
Old 28-08-06, 10:22 AM

thanks frag, btw nice desert eagle,that is bigger than an ingram (my uncle found and ingram TMP SITTING ON THE STREET in japan)

I am just not sure how my 'ill hard drive could have died in between when i removed all the old crap from that box...and when i put the new stuff in...i was super carefull with static and i deffinatley did not drop it...weird...
Old 28-08-06, 10:24 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to FragTek Send a message via MSN to FragTek Send a message via Yahoo to FragTek
A hard drive that old would just be prone to dying from the slightest little thing. How old is that drive? Has to be almost 10 years old.
Old 28-08-06, 10:31 AM

rofl i have no idea how old it is...very old for a computer component
Old 28-08-06, 11:44 AM
OC3D Elite

Due to its age its quite possible that it just decided to go up mate. Computer components can die from just sitting, they're goofy like that.
Old 29-08-06, 08:44 AM

ok i got it working, and i will tell you how if you promise not to lol...ok initially it was the ribbon cord leading to the HD now plugged in correctly...i removed the power cable and in order to fix the robon cable and forgot to replace the power cable after i was finished.
Old 29-08-06, 09:00 AM
OC3D Elite

I can't promise not to laugh, but I guess in the excitement of it all it's easy enough done Congarts on getting it sorted anyway mate
Old 29-08-06, 12:54 PM

lol, ok i installed all the games and wow...102 fps in the CS;S video test...very pleased with that (full details no AA)
Old 29-08-06, 01:25 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='omgwtfbbq'
lol, ok i installed all the games and wow...102 fps in the CS;S video test...very pleased with that (full details no AA)
Am I wrong to think that the 102fps you are getting is with two 7300GT's in SLI?

G.Skill DDR2-800

Abit FP-IN9

BFG 8800GTS 630/1000

Seagate 360GB and 160GB SATA II 7200 RPM

Cooler Master iGreen 500w Power Supply