Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Sub-Zero Cooling

Old 09-08-06, 02:15 PM

would this work?

this is my idea of a phase change cooling systeam, the idea is not only to cool the CPU but the motherbord and GPU also. I whant to have a cube with all my computer parts in side a cube that will be sumerged in a sphear that is full of a translusint, liquid, realy good heat conductor with a low freezing point that does not conduct electisity, like what is used in stock liquid cooling computer systeams. In side of the sphear I will have the evaporater wich will be a copper coil going around the cube in side the heat exchanger (so basicly the liquid absorbs the heat and the evaporater cools it down) but i will also have part of the coil go in to the cube to a CPU heat sink and then back out agine. You will beable to drain off the liquid from the shpare with a pump that goes in to a holding tank, the case will be open at the tops of both the cube and spaher and then be sealed with rubber seals and clamps. the case will sit on a pedistale that will house both the pump and the compereser and all the other parts for the phase change systeam besides the condenser. oh and there will the a tube going out of the cube on ether side for the CD bay and for cables.

will it work?

<(^.^<)skooly(>^.^)>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plans.JPG (20.0 KB, 17 views)

Old 09-08-06, 05:00 PM
OC3D Elite

And how again does that cool the motherboard?

Btw the sheer complexity, and the fact that you have tubes and such that INTO the case would make it next to impossible. It'd also be just like a normal direct die system as evaporator on the cpu then run the suction out and about.

But nah.

Send me your food.
Old 09-08-06, 09:23 PM

oh well .... back to the drawing bord =P

what if i sealed up the whole computer and then got rid of the cube and let it have deretly submurged in the liquid, i have hear of this done but with cooing oil and it help keep ever thing cooler because the oil absorbed the heat and put a coil in the oil to keep the oil cold and cool the system the much more

<(^.^<)skooly(>^.^)>
Old 09-08-06, 10:15 PM

In the end it's basically a waste of timeand money. yeah an oil-cooled PC is fun...even funny - but it's not gonna outperform a decent phase and water combo anymore than leaving your PC out in the snow

You'll just end up with an incredibly messy pile of components you can't sell
Old 10-08-06, 01:43 PM

oh ... ok, i am trying to come up with a computer desine for Skills USA and i whanted to it to be cooled with a phase change system, but since they compention we are going to is in Lorado Tx and it is realy hot in side the building i whanted my case to frost over (notice how there wasn't any insulation on the outside of my first plan) to show the judgues how cooled my CPU was getting and the whole WOW affect. Is there still some way to do this with out conduncation build up in side my case while using a basic phase change setup? and is it posisble to have both my CPU and GPU on the same line?

<(^.^<)skooly(>^.^)>
Old 10-08-06, 02:20 PM

One of the case companies has fitted a TEC to a case fan which means that the case has a kind of "air conditioning". This would probably keeps temps down whilst using phase

You could always got for phased CPU and GPU (dual head) and fully watercooled motherboard PWN IC's, RAM and chipset
Old 10-08-06, 04:23 PM
OC3D Elite

The "a/c thing" doesn't do a thing but actually raise your ambient and then raise your computer case. So it's pretty useless. TEC's are terrible at cooling thru a large medium (thus we use a coldplate that isn't 10mm thick like swiftech would tell us to)

Dual head phase or just 2 single stages with watercooling everything would be cheaper, better performance, and certainly better lookking.

Send me your food.
Old 10-08-06, 10:41 PM

ok thank you, does any body have plans showing what a double head phase would look like? and about how much would the stuff to make a dual headed phase and to water cooled my RAM and chipset? and what does the motherboard PWN IC's do?

<(^.^<)skooly(>^.^)>
Old 10-08-06, 11:25 PM
OC3D Elite

If you dont have the tools for phase your looking at near $1000 for the hydra-phase.

Send me your food.
Old 10-08-06, 11:37 PM

hummm i think i am going to have to draw out a list and see what i can savenge and get on e-bay

<(^.^<)skooly(>^.^)>