Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Screens and Displays

Old 08-04-12, 10:10 PM

Hey,

A year ago I got an Iiyama ProLite E2472HD monitor. It's a 24" LED backlit, and it works fine although if I'm honest I am disappointed by the lack of auto adjust (for some reason the option is greyed out) and it required a lot of tweaking to get the display right and even now I still think the colours are a bit washed out, although I can't for the life of me find the adjustment to fix this.

Also the viewing angles are extremely poor, the screen is noticeably darker at the top than at the bottom, even when looking directly at the screen.

Anyway moaning aside, I've been seeing IPS monitors get a bit cheaper recently (Initially I thought they were in the region of £800 and only available to professionals and of course the iMac). I don't have a huge budget for this but I was looking at the 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M.

So I was just wondering how much of a difference I'd notice with an IPS display. From what I see of the iMac screen, the colours should be amazing and finally not washed out! And of course a great viewing angle too. But what do I know, I assumed all IPS displays have a glossy, glass screen just like the iMac, lol.

Thanks for your input I won't be able to buy this for a while though, so if new technologies / monitors . price drops are on the way then even better.

CM Storm Scout / Corsair TX750M / MSI Z77A-GD65 / Intel i7 3770K @ 4.2GHz (OC Genie) / Noctua NH-D14 / Nvidia GTX 560Ti HAWK /8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blue 1600Mhz / Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB / 1.5TB Samsung / Asus Xonar DGX / Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" IPS / Logitech X-530 / Sennheiser HD 440 / Razer Blackwidow 2013 / Razer Deathadder

Old 08-04-12, 10:21 PM

the dell doesn't have a glossy screen afaik. i couldn't tell you specifically how much better it would get, but i've read from professionals and average people alike that the difference between ips and tn will be quite substantial. even youtube videos show a really big difference between the two. having read lots of reviews, i'm going for the 22 inch version of the same monitor. it's apparently a really good choice for gaming as well because of low input lag. viewing angles will be superb, colours will be more accurate, etc. i'd say go for it. haven't read a bad review on one of these dell ips monitors, ever.
Old 08-04-12, 10:24 PM
OC3D Elite

I have both an IPS and a TN panel monitor. The difference between the two is massive. The IPS has a Matte screen, more accurate colours, brighter screen, awesome viewing angles and is still pretty fantastic for gaming. I haven't experienced any ghosting or input lag when playing BF3 and I play a lot. I can't recommend IPS enough mate
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro (B3) || CPU: i7 2600k || Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 780 Ti ACX || Memory: 16GB - Mushkin Blackline 8GB + Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB || SSD's + HDD's: Crucial M4 128GB (OS + Programs) + Caviar Black 2TB (Games + Storage) || CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 || Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P9 750W || Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D || Monitor(s): Dell U2410 + HP w1907v

Old 08-04-12, 11:46 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to WillSK
I bought an IIyama IPS monitor a little while ago to replace my old LG. I don't caim to be any expert but battlefield 3 looks beautiful on it and i can definitely vouch for better viewing angles. My monitor is on a raised platform on my desk and with my old monitor getting a good viewing angle sometimes involved a bit of adjusting my chair or tilting the screen. No longer a problem now with the IPS!
My Rig: NZXT Phantom 630 Gunmetal Grey, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P, Intel i5 2500K @4.3Ghz, Phanteks PH-TC12DX CPU Cooler, EVGA GTX 780 Classified, 8 Gb Corsair Vengeance LP White, Corsair Force 3 120Gb SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD, Corsair HX750w
Old 09-04-12, 10:57 AM

I've seen a few bad reviews on the Dell - people saying the anti-glare is noticeable. It's a bit worrying for me because I sit quite close, about 2 foot (or slightly less) away from the screen.

Though this seems a common issue for IPS displays - I saw similar issues with the anti-glare on HP's IPS monitors.
CM Storm Scout / Corsair TX750M / MSI Z77A-GD65 / Intel i7 3770K @ 4.2GHz (OC Genie) / Noctua NH-D14 / Nvidia GTX 560Ti HAWK /8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blue 1600Mhz / Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB / 1.5TB Samsung / Asus Xonar DGX / Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" IPS / Logitech X-530 / Sennheiser HD 440 / Razer Blackwidow 2013 / Razer Deathadder

Old 09-04-12, 03:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheza View Post

I've seen a few bad reviews on the Dell - people saying the anti-glare is noticeable. It's a bit worrying for me because I sit quite close, about 2 foot (or slightly less) away from the screen.

Though this seems a common issue for IPS displays - I saw similar issues with the anti-glare on HP's IPS monitors.
Imo the anti glare is not an issue. It's only really noticeable on a fully white background. If you have the chance to take a first hand look at an IPS monitor you should and make up your mind then.
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro (B3) || CPU: i7 2600k || Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 780 Ti ACX || Memory: 16GB - Mushkin Blackline 8GB + Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB || SSD's + HDD's: Crucial M4 128GB (OS + Programs) + Caviar Black 2TB (Games + Storage) || CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 || Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P9 750W || Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D || Monitor(s): Dell U2410 + HP w1907v

Old 10-04-12, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Ive got the HP ZR24w, which uses the same panel as the Dell (probably why the anti-glare thing came up for both). Its great, I cant look at my old TN anymore I haven't had a problem with the anti-glare on mine, its probably one of those things professionals notice that most don't. But yeah its a whole new world of quality compared to TN mate.