Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 06-04-12, 09:31 AM
OC3D Crew

Did real quick on paint, ill admit my photo editing skills are poor at best but i think it gives you a rough idea

now keep in mind in my chopping the board is actually scaling about 1 and half ram slots longer then a real srx though the ram slots are angled int he picture which changes alot. if it came down to it. would you be willing to give up an exta 6 or 7 mm to have an extra 4 ram slots? and for imho to board to look better? I certinally would!

discuss

Old 06-04-12, 09:40 AM

isn't that a little bit long? <--noob here, please be gentle. but as far as i know, the original matches some existing bigger atx boards. what's the idea behind your design? curious.
Old 06-04-12, 09:41 AM
OC3D Elite

Original looks better.

The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it’s impossible to turn back.
Old 06-04-12, 09:43 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownuser200 View Post

Did real quick on paint, ill admit my photo editing skills are poor at best but i think it gives you a rough idea

now keep in mind in my chopping the board is actually scaling about 1 and half ram slots longer then a real srx though the ram slots are angled int he picture which changes alot. if it came down to it. would you be willing to give up an exta 6 or 7 mm to have an extra 4 ram slots? and for imho to board to look better? I certinally would!

discuss
is this your impression of what the mobo will/should look like?

the evga forums say/show different !!!
Old 06-04-12, 09:45 AM

it's his redesign. and sorry i didn't read op properly. 4 additional ram slots. but in terms of looks, i agree with SnW!
Old 06-04-12, 09:52 AM
OC3D Crew

yes its my redesign. Keep in mind though its a reallly crappy photo chopp... in real life or someone who has real skills there wouldnt say be a giant black bloche on the middle right.. and the heatsink was stretched out just to fill in ther white space... again this was bored not professionalism so that might make a big difference. Also what about the evga forums? I only posted this here. The idea was IMHO i thought the board would have been better if the cpus were rotated 90* and the the extra ram slots were added, so it could be used as a proper work station board if needed. the other thought was it would look more balanced and not like they just slapped it together any way possible on an old pcb. lol
Old 06-04-12, 10:24 AM
OC3D Crew

I think it should look like this:

The pros of this design are obviously the EEB form factor which physically is the same as E-ATX but with some different mounting holes. This size would increase the amount of cases that the board would fit substantially over the annoyingly incompatible HPTX form factor that the EVGA SR-2 and SR-X utilise. The size of those boards have been my main point of contention and was the reason I didn't get the SR-2. Yes it had the best performance of any LGA 1366 board thanks to its overclocking prowess and dual sockets but I wasn't willing to sacrifice a good looking and well sized rig for something that was monstrously obtrusive in my home.

When the SR-X was announced I was interested in it only from a geeky "whoa" aspect. But then we found out the new LGA 2011 XEON's are so locked down that the best overclock you can muster is about 5MHz on the BCLK. This brings the total overclock potential to around 100-150MHz. That is really just too low in my opinion considering how much money you need to spend to get decent XEON's that will outpace a well overclocked i7 Sandy Bridge-E chip.

So for me the SR-X is a board without a market. It doesn't appeal to workstation users because it doesn't use standard workstation board form sizes such as CEB or EEB and it doesn't support overclocking so the benchmarking crowd won't be that interested in it either. To me the Asus Z9PE-D8 WS is a much better buy. It's priced competitively and it supports overclocking if Intel ever release less locked down XEON's (which I doubt they will) and it uses a standard EEB form factor.

Just my thoughts on it.
Old 07-04-12, 11:18 AM
OC3D Crew

Correct me if im wrong but if your spending the money for even the cheapestes 8 cores and 1 these boards wouldnt you have the money for a case to support it?
Old 07-04-12, 11:22 AM
OC3D Crew

I think you didn't read my entire post?

At the end of the first paragraph I said this:

Quote:
Yes it had the best performance of any LGA 1366 board thanks to its overclocking prowess and dual sockets but I wasn't willing to sacrifice a good looking and well sized rig for something that was monstrously obtrusive in my home.
It isn't about money.