Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Desk & Work Area

Old 05-04-12, 01:10 PM

Hi!

First off, let me just apologise if any of the mod's feel this is posted in the wrong place. I felt it best to put it here as it technically is a desk, but I suppose it's also a rig and a potential project. So if someone wants to move it there, feel free.

I'm sure most of you have seen Scan's Swordfish Rig, and I'm sure most people, including me, thought "wow, I wish I could afford/have one of them!"

Now, I'm a big fan of scan, but let's face it...most of us will never afford to buy something like that prebuilt. So I thought to myself "how hard would it be, to design and build something like that yourself?"

I certainly don't have the time to build something like that (at the moment anyways) but I certainly do have time to design it...and so...I have.

The following is screenshots from a model I have made in Google SketchUp of a swordfish inspired 'compudesk', with some brief explanations of certain things.

This version of the desk is 2 meters long, the model is constructed in a way that it relates to real life building materials, so that it could be translated into a production plan.

The desk contains windows which are made from 3mm Perspex, which is double glazed sitting on lips inside the panel holes. Once again this is possible to achieve in real life.

The desk consists of two main cabinets, the left one acts as storage for the main pc componets, and the right would contain water-cooling components. The desktop has windows cut in, to allow viewing of the motherboard and contents of the right cabinet.

Instead of creating a custom motherboard mounting system I feel it would be easier to simply use a pre-existing part. I have therefore used a scale model of the Mountain Mod's HPTX motherboard tray, however Caselab's also make a HPTX Tech Station which would also serve the same purpose. Using a HPTX board of this type would allow a wide range of compatibility. The brands/components I have used are simply for illustration purposes. The fans towards the bottom of the picture are intaking from the cavity below via 114mm holes. The fans to the right are exhausting.

This can be better seen here. In reality the fans would be covered on the exteriors by some form of covering/filter. To stop any debris getting inside the rig and to stop any accidents involving fingers and fan blades.

Air gets into the cabinet system via intakes on the rear of the middle cabinet, once again through 114mm cut holes. These would also have to be covered/filtered.

The rear of the desk is flat. In reality there would be cutouts relating to the IO and PCI ports of the motherboard tray. I chose not to model a monitor riser system like the Swordfish has, as personally I think they're James Bond tacky, and it'd be complex. However, as the back of the desk is flat, this could be built separately and simply attached to the rear.

If the main rig components are in the left cabinet and the water cooling is in the right, then of course there needs to be a way for the pipes to get between the cabinets. I decided to model pass through bulkheads, fitted with compression fittings onto the medial cabinet panels. This would allow hosing to be fitted between the left and right cabinets, and it would be on display for aesthetic value, but safely up out of the way.

Of course, there needs to be a way to gain access to the interior of the cabinet in order to install components. In order to do this the front of each cabinet would be hinged and have magnetic poppers. And the entire table top would be hinged to the back board, so that it could be lifted to gain entry, much like a car bonnet for example.

So...that's it.

I would at some point like to use these plans and make myself a desk like this. But at the moment I don't have the time/money. But I thought it'd be nice to show people what's possible with modelling software and a bit of time.

Tell me what you think.

And if anyone wants it, I have uploaded the model file and it is available here http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...5e7734c9b1d8f9. If you genuinely want to adapt/improve it. Or want to potentially make a desk like this yourself.

Is anyone here involved in furniture making? And could anyone advise me as to what wood/composite they think would be best to use. When I modelled this I did so with mdf in mind, but my understanding is that it is somewhat hard to prepare for painting, etc.

Credit goes to Scan for the concept.

Old 05-04-12, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

pretty cool I mean its an exact copy of the desk to my understanding but still cool

Old 05-04-12, 01:53 PM
OC3D Elite

I always enjoy desk builds and this is another brilliant one. I've seen the Scan Swordfish in person and its awesome,

Great design mate, i like
Old 05-04-12, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lys0l View Post

pretty cool I mean its an exact copy of the desk to my understanding but still cool
It's supposed to be like the swordfish, because that was my goal really. Scan made the best 'compudesk', I just wanted to make a model that anyone could use to produce their own.
Old 05-04-12, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipzy View Post

I always enjoy desk builds and this is another brilliant one. I've seen the Scan Swordfish in person and its awesome,

Great design mate, i like
Thanks for the kind words.

I am yet to see the Swordfish in person, I'm hoping they have it on display next time I go to their store!
Old 05-04-12, 02:33 PM
OC3D Elite

needs bigger windows on the inside of the desk imo, so you can see in better when sat there.

is and epic design tho man
Old 05-04-12, 03:27 PM
OC3D Elite

my question is why exhaust to the underside middle of the desk where your legs will be??? Why not out the back instead? You showed the intake area was shielded from exhaust so it wouldnt taint the incoming air.

but yes it does look brilliant when ya starting the project??
WD Black 649Gb 64mb Sata 6GB/s
HIS 7970's in xfire
Custom water Cooled
Corsair AX860
Corsair Air540
Old 05-04-12, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_I_N View Post

my question is why exhaust to the underside middle of the desk where your legs will be??? Why not out the back instead? You showed the intake area was shielded from exhaust so it wouldnt taint the incoming air.

but yes it does look brilliant when ya starting the project??
Simply because there's nowhere to put the fans on the back. The motherboard tray's I/O dock and PCI uprights take up the space. I figured where I have them was the second best place. I'm not too concerned about it blowing onto the users legs as I doubt it'd be noticeable.

At the moment I'm not intending to actually make it. I would love to, but I don't have the money, time or space. If that changes, it's top of the list.
Old 05-04-12, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

also you should upload this on sketchup and name is scan 3xs concept or something so people can get a full interactive look at the desk you've designed

Old 05-04-12, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lys0l View Post

also you should upload this on sketchup and name is scan 3xs concept or something so people can get a full interactive look at the desk you've designed
I'll be uploading it to Google's 3D Warehouse tonight. So it'll be available to download for anyone who wants it. I'll update my original post with a link once it's live.