Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 02-04-12, 01:48 AM

Hey guys, I wanted to throw this one out to you. I recently had some bad luck with a Gigabyte SKT-2011 X79-UD3 I ordered from Aria; they rejected an RMA on the grounds that the board is stable at stock speeds, OC is not covered

I literally cannot over clock more than 10mhz, sometimes even 1mhz will cause instability.

I disagree with Aria's conclusion that Overclocking isn't defined as faulty, many of the board's functions is designed for overclocking; it comes with a CD that has overclocking features and of course a major proportion of the BIOS is designed so users can overclock.

They are now demanding that I make arrangements for me to have the board sent back to me at my expense which is infuriating.

I wanted to canvas your opinion; who is right? Aria or me?

Old 02-04-12, 01:55 AM
OC3D Elite

overclocking use has never really been supported by retailers. I'd take it up with the Manufacturer imho its out of Aria's hands if it works stock.
2x 240GB Kingston HyperX 3K's in Raid 0
HIS 7970's in xfire
Custom water Cooled
Corsair AX860
Corsair 780T
Old 02-04-12, 02:08 AM
OC3D Elite

imho if the company markets overclocking and provides software for it then it should be covered! most people who by this platform will overclock on it. so i find it a bit ironic when people say its not covered, why would for example MSI boards have OC genie/1 click overclock on the box then, if they are not going to cover it?????

Take it up with gigabyte, im sure they will sort you out.
-
Old 02-04-12, 05:56 AM
OC3D Elite

the retailers will market it the way the manufacturers provide info for. No retailer afaik supports overclocking unless its on their preoverclocked bundles then you have a claim with them outside that its a manu's issue not the retailer. Back when I first got started with overclocking most would not warranty a product if it had been overclocked. Now-a-days they encourage it to a degree
2x 240GB Kingston HyperX 3K's in Raid 0
HIS 7970's in xfire
Custom water Cooled
Corsair AX860
Corsair 780T
Old 02-04-12, 06:19 AM
OC3D Elite

have being been in both markets of manufacturing and sales it is a tough call for the retailer.

not knowing the story, just upon what has been released, the retailer does sell over-clocked "kits"

and to follow-up a small issue as you say, this should have been a RMA. but, their deem with the

manufacturer to get their replacement. and replacing a working part isn't necessary. you'd have to

take this up with Gigabyte and thier customer service. now to get your part back, again, not knowing

Aria cs rep and what they told you, you should contact that same rep and see what can be done.

it sucks hard to find out this kind of issues, but then this isn't a stock issue and it's hard to get

"perfect" service from this venture.

airdeano
Old 02-04-12, 08:26 AM
OC3D Elite

You should have given them another BS reason why you gave it back. BTW AMAZON and Newegg will accept products for ANY reason, including OC instability. You may run into issues if you fry a board via OC. Also Gigabyte should be able to handle your return if you have OC issues, ASUS does.

Intel Nvidia rig

Old 02-04-12, 09:13 AM

Does Aria's site advertise its overclocking abilities as part of its selling specs? if so then the 'not fit for purpose' cliche could be used to get yourself a replacement. As others have said though it sounds like you should be going straight to the manufacturer with this one
Old 02-04-12, 09:46 AM

Contact Gigabyte direct. They have fantastic customer service, in my experience, and they will sort out any problems.
Old 02-04-12, 10:01 AM

unfortunately I'd say you're screwed dude

Even looking on the gigabyte website it doesn't specifically mention anything about overclocking. And unless it's sold in order to have the ability to overclock then it's "fit for purpose"

that said, if aria wont take it back that's pretty sucky of them in terms of customer service, I bet a good proportion of their customers do overclock, and despite their good prices i'd now be a bit wary about buying from them

Best bet is to find a supplier with a good 28 day or so no quibble returns policy
Old 02-04-12, 10:47 AM
OC3D Elite

Have you ever thought it might be your cpu that isnt allowing you to overclock?

TBH overclocking is a freebie and in no way are you entitled to the extra performance, if they marketed stuff as guaranteed to overclock at least X% then sure you would be entitled but stuff is sold to work as is at stock speeds, just cause it has the options to maybe run faster doesnt mean it will run faster.
-Need to fit-
Xspc Rasa | Phobya G-Changer 240 + 360 | Phobya dc12-400 | 7x Orange Xigmatek XLF 120mm
| Alphacool Copper fittings