Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 20-03-12, 07:05 AM

Hey guys,

I've been planning my water cooling setup for quite some time now in my Obsidian 650D. What I have in mind for radiators is an XSPC EX240 (35.5mm thick) at the top and a Phobya G-Changer 140mm (60mm thick) at the front with my drive bays removed. My question is if you guys think I could squeeze in a gpu block in my loop. I know TTL's instant response would be "NO MATE," but I don't plan to overclock much. the only reason I would want to water cool my graphics card would be for looks . This is what I had planned if I had my gpu water cooled as well. Otherwise, it'd be the same, only without the gpu block as part of the loop.

Also, I would rather not add another 120mm rad on the rear exhaust cause that would just cluster up my tubing around the cpu block, which is not ideal to me. This is simply a yes or no question, but if you have any more feedback, it'd be appreciated .

For the radiators i've chosen, I've measured out the parts in my case and in the top, I have enough room for one set of fans and a ~43mm thick rad. the EX240 was the thickest I could find with a low FPI that stayed under that limit. the G-changer is open for substitutions but I think it'll be the best I can get in terms of a 140.1 rad.

Thanks everyone

EDIT: i realized i didnt get the chance to ask this, but would a 240 and a 120 rad perform the same in comparison to a single 360 rad (all rads being same thickness and FPI)? I know that in terms of surface area, they are the same, but what i am questioning is the efficiency/temperature of the coolant split between two rads or just in one rad.

Corsair Obsidian 650D || Intel Core i5 2500k || Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 || Corsair HX850W || Corsair Dominator 16GB 1600MHz || EVGA GTX 570 Classified || XSPC Raystorm || Corsair Force Series 3 90GB SSD || Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM

Old 20-03-12, 11:17 AM
OC3D Elite

Yeesh, you'd be pushing limits under stress but probably ok for general gaming. What gpu/cpu are you thinking of cooling? Overclocking is probably out of the question.

You've picked some good radiators for a low rpm setup but I'd consider a higher fpi and more powerful fans for this to give you some chance of a temp overhead. But that begs the question, since that would be louder, of why bothering with watercooling at all - you will be paying more money for the same coolong and noise.

I'd stick the cpu under water, with those 2 rads it will be cool and quiet, but then get a decent air cooled gpu and be done with it. Water cooling setups look better with big rads anyway!

OC3D Overclockers Club Member #006 (Alec Trevelyan was always harder than Bond anyway)
Old 20-03-12, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master&Puppet View Post

Yeesh, you'd be pushing limits under stress but probably ok for general gaming. What gpu/cpu are you thinking of cooling? Overclocking is probably out of the question.

You've picked some good radiators for a low rpm setup but I'd consider a higher fpi and more powerful fans for this to give you some chance of a temp overhead. But that begs the question, since that would be louder, of why bothering with watercooling at all - you will be paying more money for the same coolong and noise.

I'd stick the cpu under water, with those 2 rads it will be cool and quiet, but then get a decent air cooled gpu and be done with it. Water cooling setups look better with big rads anyway!
I went for lower fpi cause I do have relatively quiet, low rpm fans: 2 x noctua nf-p12's and 3 x Bitfenix spectre pro's (two 140's and one 200mm). buying a new set of louder/stronger fans isn't out of the question but as you said, why bother with water cooling in the first place then? I am actually quite fond of the air cooler on my gpu at the moment, the only reason I wanted to water cool it was to cover the blue pcb and make my overall rig nicer. I guess I can fix that with a simple backplate .

Thanks for your input, mate

Corsair Obsidian 650D || Intel Core i5 2500k || Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 || Corsair HX850W || Corsair Dominator 16GB 1600MHz || EVGA GTX 570 Classified || XSPC Raystorm || Corsair Force Series 3 90GB SSD || Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM

Old 20-03-12, 03:58 PM
OC3D Elite

Sounds like the right decision to me!

OC3D Overclockers Club Member #006 (Alec Trevelyan was always harder than Bond anyway)
Old 20-03-12, 05:59 PM
OC3D Elite

if your not going to overclock then I would say those 2 rads should hold ur temps well. After all were talking about ur 965 AMD right and 6950?? I would so go for it and share your temps with us.
WD Black 649Gb 64mb Sata 6GB/s
HIS 7970's in xfire
Custom water Cooled
Corsair AX860
Corsair Air540
Old 20-03-12, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_I_N View Post

if your not going to overclock then I would say those 2 rads should hold ur temps well. After all were talking about ur 965 AMD right and 6950?? I would so go for it and share your temps with us.
yes, those are the components i would be putting under water . my current temps under load are 55C cpu and 68C gpu. idles are about 33C and 41C respectively.

thanks S_I_N ! i'll be sure to post temps once i go through with my build

Old 20-03-12, 06:43 PM

i'm still open to others' opinions as i personally dont like being persuaded by a single opinion on a commitment such as this (no offense S_I_N, i still love your stuff ).

Old 20-03-12, 07:14 PM
OC3D Elite

Bah I couldn't see your signature on my phone whn I was replying.

Old 20-03-12, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master&Puppet View Post

Bah I couldn't see your signature on my phone whn I was replying.
no problem

just added another question to my post:

EDIT: i realized i didnt get the chance to ask this, but would a 240 and a 120 rad perform the same in comparison to a single 360 rad (all rads being same thickness and FPI)? I know that in terms of surface area, they are the same, but what i am questioning is the efficiency/temperature of the coolant split between two rads or just in one rad.

Old 22-03-12, 05:19 AM

Ever take a look at the Phobya 200mm rad would work pretty well in the front of a 650D, Move one hard drive cage back to the spot closer to the power supply and remover the other and it would fit in there nicely. Probably cool better then a 140mm one as well.