Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 15-03-12, 03:28 PM
The Guvnor

Its time for the BitFenix Shinobi XL to get the exclusive OC3D case treatment!

Continue Reading

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 15-03-12, 03:35 PM
OC3D Elite

i like.... i like alot.

i may be using these for my future farm-drones
Old 15-03-12, 03:47 PM

Hope sometime soon i can finally replace my antec 300!
Old 15-03-12, 03:50 PM
OC3D Elite

I am a bit disappointed in this case to be honest.

It is a decent case, but, it looks cheap, the frame is really thin and it looks a bit weak, the "dust filter" or should I say pointless mesh on the front is poor.

I don't want it to sound like I am slagging BitFenix off or anything like that, I actually like BitFenix, but the quality and features of this case are lacking compared to cases that cost just a bit more, or even around the same price. The lack of those few extra mm for full sized rads is a big let down as well, if it hadn't been for that, the quality and lack of features could have been overlooked a little due to it having great radiator support. With no real place for a drive bay res or your HDDs with a rad in the front, little room for mounting a pump and a cylinder res, it lets its self down.

The customization options are it's saving grace, really, being able to customize it and choose the window of your choice is good. But it doesn't really make up for the bad points, in "my" opinion, the case is a Silver award at best.

If you are looking for a watercooling case, then I would spend the extra £30 and get the Switch 810, and i'm not just saying that because I have one, but because for that extra £30 you get a lot more. *
Old 15-03-12, 05:17 PM
OC3D Crew

I have to agree with SieB here, for the potential it has to be so good, it falls short in so many ways.

All the little problems add up to a big one and it loses out on tough competition, not only from the Switch 810, but in that price range from the CM Stormtrooper as well.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Old 15-03-12, 05:20 PM

Solid review, I think personally I prefer this to the 810. I know the 810 has a few more features, but this is slightly more of an empty shell, and therefore I can see plenty of customisability options there I understand why people may want the 810 over this, but yeah, I'd say it depends what you want on which one to choose. I'd imagine looks can play a part in this as well. Not to mention it's at a cracking value at the £30 less. Taking a Dremel to that roof support bar wouldn't be too bad an idea, and same with the optical drive issue...

I have thought about the HDD mounting, with a bit of modification, you could mount your HDDs on the back of the motherboard tray if it's 30mm gap?

I have to agree the lack of suppport for full size rads is a bit annoying, but an Alphacool in the front and an SR1 in the top (I've seen some sites offering to ship cases with SR1 pre-installed). Or a 240mm in the bottom would be a possible idea.

Also, Black and Gold - JPS, Black and Gold, New Renault xD Wish they're were more colour options for gold though - sleeve, watercooling etc...

Oh, and you have a close relationship with BitFenix, not NZXT (42 minutes around about)

Anyway, solid review

kd
Old 15-03-12, 06:08 PM
OC3D Crew

i would love one of those cases but being a poorper living on sick benifit doesnt help so wish i could go back to work
Bitfenix shinobi Limited Germany edition. 3 spectre 120 & 2 spectre 140fans. Core i5 3570k ,msi z77a g45,8gb gskill sniper,gigabyte 7950 windforce, samsung 840 120gb ssd, samsung F1 750gb, WD cavier black 500gb, seagate barcuda 1tb,+320gb, win 7 ultimate 64, acer 23" 3dG235H microsoft CC keyboard, logitech G500 mouse
Old 15-03-12, 06:46 PM
OC3D Elite

my take-away from this is:

BitFenix is watching and listening to the public. although some aspects fell short, some considerations can be made.

the one thing i didn't hear was how well the case performs as just an air case. i know the anticipation for this

case was to be epic out-of-the-box performer, but it is not the case for a full on liquid rig without major

reconstruction. simple 2-120 or 2-140 seems to be a close fix-it, but all that room to be left without cooling

potential. so my question is:

is this an air case, liquid case or either?

pricing is everything and there are a lot of choices to make when considering the type of performance and what has

to be considered to make the performance happen. i liked the BitFenix Shinobi, dunna know if I'll like the Shinobi XL

that much more..

i did get more from the Fractal Arc Midi, XL and R3 case reviews than this review on both sides of cooling with emphasis

on the liquid side. Tom, it was a good review and with the extra options available from BitFenix for the case was cleanly

presented.

Tom, appreciate the points of interest of the BitFenix Shinobi XL, thank you.

airdeano
Old 15-03-12, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

not a shinobi fan to begin with so i dont really care for it....you're 100% right tho...could have been epic!!

BTW...you do know it's a Bitfenix....not an NZXT right???

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2716743 highest 2500k+560Ti SLI TO DATE!!!
Old 15-03-12, 07:55 PM

It would be nice if case manufacturers did standardize on a 60mm radiator size, the benefits of which would give users far more case choices when it came to real water-cooling, not the half-ass attempts requiring post-purchase work using a dremel.

Maybe they should begin the design process with a 360 push/pull at the top and a 240 push/pull at the bottom/front. Build the drive bays and motherboard tray AROUND those, then add the top, front, back and sides. This isn't rocket science or expensive to do. NZXT 810 nailed it 99% except for that cross brace.

Good review as always TTL! You rock!