Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Screens and Displays

Old 19-01-12, 06:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Hi guys,

I'm currently using this monitor and have been very happy with it for the last year but feel the need for an upgrade, always fun!

The biggest reason is that I'd like a bigger screen so something in the 27"-32" bracket (give or take an inch) would be sexy.

I'm playing with around a £300 budget and it will be used on occasion for a bit of gaming, I barely watch tv so im not fussed about tuners and and I also use my own speakers so don't care about the sound quality.

I've been browsing around looking for something with stats no worse than:

1080P (not fussed about 2500x1600)

5ms gtg

5mil:1 contrast

250 cd/m2 brightness

60hz refresh rate

Having said that I'm no expert at choosing monitors so I might not entirely be looking for the right things which is where your help would be much appreciated as always

So far I've come across the likes of:

Acer S273HLABMII

There are also several monitors mentioned in other OC3D threads I'll be looking into.

I also came across this passive 3d LG which claims to be able to turn 2d images into 3d and the reviews I've read across the web suggest that there's no significant image quality loss - especially at the smaller screen sizes. Is the idea of playing Skyrim in 3D affecting my judgement or could this actually work?

So:

1. Am I looking for the right things? I'm not at all clued up on screen surface types...

2. Passive 3d an option or not do you think?

3. Any advice on a 2DHD monitor if question 2 is a no go?

M&P

OC3D Overclockers Club Member #006 (Alec Trevelyan was always harder than Bond anyway)
Old 19-01-12, 07:09 PM
OC3D Elite

i think you need to look into EPS monitors dude
Old 19-01-12, 07:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master&Puppet View Post

I also came across this passive 3d LG which claims to be able to turn 2d images into 3d and the reviews I've read across the web suggest that there's no significant image quality loss - especially at the smaller screen sizes. Is the idea of playing Skyrim in 3D affecting my judgement or could this actually work?
2D to 3D works pretty well but it isn't perfect, Skyrim doesn't work to well 2D to 3D but if you have a Nvidia card you buy the 3D kit for that which is supposed to be a lot better than the normal 2D to 3D because it uses active shutter glasses.

I'm not to clued up on it all to be honest the TV I have now is my first 3D experience.
Old 19-01-12, 07:51 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdiamond View Post

i think you need to look into EPS monitors dude
EPS? I'm not sure what that is, do you mean IPS? I tend to sit infront of the screen dead centre, is IPS going to make a lot of difference here?

Jesus the W3000H is like £800!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post

2D to 3D works pretty well but it isn't perfect, Skyrim doesn't work to well 2D to 3D but if you have a Nvidia card you buy the 3D kit for that which is supposed to be a lot better than the normal 2D to 3D because it uses active shutter glasses.

I'm not to clued up on it all to be honest the TV I have now is my first 3D experience.
Hmm, I've also read of reviews which say passive is as good if not better. LG have gone passive throughout their range now I believe? I'm not sure what to make of it to be honest. It definitely seems like 3D is still in its infancy and still a little gimmicky. I've got two 5850s at the mo but will probably go the nvidia route next depending on how kepler turns out.

What's the LG like in 2d mode? If it's decent enough then I might well get it, or something similar, and if i like the 3d its a bonus.

Cheers guys

OC3D Overclockers Club Member #006 (Alec Trevelyan was always harder than Bond anyway)
Old 19-01-12, 08:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah, everything is going passive now, from what I have read active is better than passive but passive is getting better so i'd say that if you do go passive it's best to get the most recent passive model there is. At first I wasn't really bothered about going 3D myself but I got my TV for £450 and they were being sold for £800 at the time, so I thought I may as well get it and the 3D was just a bonus to be honest.

Personally i'd give the 2D to 3D a 8/10 but as I said i've not seen anything in native 3D yet so I can't compare the differences. Most games do look pretty good and work really well with the 2D to 3D, same with films and TV. The 2D on my LG is just as good as any other HDTV I have seen so as far as 2D goes no probs there.

As you said though 3D is still in it's infancy, all you can do really is get the most recent model 3D TV you can afford, that way you know you have the most up to date 3D technology on it. *
Old 19-01-12, 09:22 PM
OC3D Elite

Sounds like you got yours with the same mindset as I'm looking at it so I'll go for it.

Edit: LG DM2780D is on its way Can't wait to try it!

Thanks to you both.

M&P