Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 01-08-11, 10:34 AM
The Guvnor

At last, we are proud to present to you our verdict on AMD's latest APU platform.

Continue Reading

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 01-08-11, 10:53 AM
OC3D Elite

Good review Mul
Old 01-08-11, 11:43 AM

Send a message via MSN to F-alienware
This is going to be a very hard product to review.

Mostly because there is nothing else like it on the market.

I'm a little confused as to why this was pitted against an I5 when the I5 is clearly far more expensive.

£103.99 inc for the Llano from Ebuyer, £137 inc for the I5.

The comparissons should be against the I3. Now sure, as a CPU the I3 is faster. However, the GPU aboard the 3850 poos on the I3 and is actually playable at sensible resolutions. Every other review I have read have pitted it like for like, so I can't understand why this has been benched against a CPU that puts another 35% on top of what the 3850 costs.

I can only summise it was because OC3D maybe didn't have an I3 to put it against?
Old 01-08-11, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

I agree but nice review!

Intel Core i5 760 @4Ghz - Radeon HD5850 1Gb - 4Gb 1600Mhz DDR3 - MSI P55-GD65 - Corsair A70 - Corsair HX750W Power Supply - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit.
Old 01-08-11, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Oh FFS Gigabyte, I want vomit when I see SATA ports stick straight out of motherboard. Yeah this motherboard has some odd mix of price, IGP, and Crossfire capability.

Old 01-08-11, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post

Good review Mul
Thank you. I haven't published anything since February - glad to have been able to help out a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0mB13 View Post

I can only summise it was because OC3D maybe didn't have an I3 to put it against?
Bingo.

Indeed an i3 wasn't available to compare it with, however I had left hints along the way that the price of the A8-3850 accounts for its inferior core for core and clock for clock (gag) performance. However, I feel that the article was able to highlight what was most important. Entry level multimedia users don't need outright core processor performance - combine an average CPU with a good enough GPU and their most complex needs are satisfied. Intel's Atom + nVidia ION as well as AMD's own FUZION E350 is a testament to this.

I maintain that so long as you build a FM1 system in a cut price fashion, it represents very good value for money. However as I've said in the review, you've got to be bonkers to spend big £££ on a A75 FM1 board.
Old 01-08-11, 03:10 PM

Fair play Mul. Cheers for clearing that up

Yeah the sweet spot ATM seems to be getting the Asrock £50 micro and then getting 2000mhz ram. The GPU on it performs better on faster ram apparently
Old 01-08-11, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

seems like this could be a really good choice for a young schoolchildren age type family computer?!?!?!?

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2716743 highest 2500k+560Ti SLI TO DATE!!!
Old 01-08-11, 03:14 PM

For around £250 you can build an entire computer that can actually play a real game.

When seen for what they are these are cracking little CPUs. I read this in another review....

The Llano APU from AMD is immensely clever. It has, overnight, made all of the entry level gaming GPUs completely redundant.
Old 01-08-11, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

As a desktop based APU I think it will fill a market primarily for OEMS and cheap system vendors. The interesting point about these APU's is not really in the desktop environment. I think the cheap laptop market is where these APU's will excel. For the OEM's like Dell HP/Compaq etc its a bit of a no brainer, offering the customer a better media experience for the same cost. Maybe i'll then get one day at work without some idiot wondering why he can't play WoW on his new Dell with all the settings on full....I pray for that day....