Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 12-05-11, 02:58 PM
The Guvnor

Following our earlier preview, let's take a full look at the latest motherboard from Gigabyte, the Z68X UD5 B3.

Continue Reading

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 12-05-11, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via Skype™ to adamjamesroe
Looks ok, but a bit expensive, nice review though.

Old 12-05-11, 03:51 PM
OC3D Elite

nice mobo - but for the price i would rather have a sabertooth
Old 12-05-11, 03:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Not as impressive as I thought it was going to be but as said it's not a bad motherboard. Z68, apart from the addition of SSD caching doesn't really seem worth it tbh, I know some of the boards offer the use of the IGP but if you are spending over £150+ on a motherboard it seems a waste to use the IGP and not a proper GPU.

With the IGP you also get the Lucid chip (on some boards) and the ability to overclock the CPU where as on H67 you only get use of the IGP which can be overclocked but no CPU overclocking and P67 no use of the IGP and only CPU overclocking.

Combining the use of the IGP and being able to overclock both IGP and CPU is good, but again if you are spending money on a decent motherboard i'd say it's best to go with P67 with a proper GPU or a high end Z68 motherboard with a proper GPU. The SSD caching is good but i would like to see the tech mature a bit to see what it is fully capable of on future motherboards.

Good review anyway Bryan
Old 18-05-11, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

the igp can also be used for encoding

ive seen mediashow espresso 6 benchmarks that show it encoding twice as fast then a gtx 560 ti
Old 18-05-11, 09:34 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luger718 View Post

the igp can also be used for encoding

ive seen mediashow espresso 6 benchmarks that show it encoding twice as fast then a gtx 560 ti
I read about that in this months Custom PC, not about the 560s but the igp. You can only use it on boards with the Lucid chip though but still it's a good feature to have. You can also switch between using you GPU to using the IGP or you can use it to boost the performance of the GPU, on the Asus boards with the Lucid chip anyway.

Also in Intels key notes at CES they showed the Quick Sync encoding being faster than a 580 .
Old 18-05-11, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post

I read about that in this months Custom PC, not about the 560s but the igp. You can only use it on boards with the Lucid chip though but still it's a good feature to have. You can also switch between using you GPU to using the IGP or you can use it to boost the performance of the GPU, on the Asus boards with the Lucid chip anyway.

Also in Intels key notes at CES they showed the Quick Sync encoding being faster than a 580 .
i thought all the z68 boards have that lucid virtu stuff on them

damn the quick sync must be really optimized for encoding

considering a gtx560ti or anything higher completely destroys it in gaming
Old 18-05-11, 09:14 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

i thought all the z68 boards have that lucid virtu stuff on them

damn the quick sync must be really optimized for encoding

considering a gtx560ti or anything higher completely destroys it in gaming
Not all of them have it, the higher end Gigabyte ones don't anyway. The Asus P8Z68 VPRO does, not sure about the MSI ones, the lower end ones do but I haven't looked at them all so I don't know whether they all do.

I haven't seen Quick Sync in action apart from the Intel keynotes at CES where it encoded a vid faster than a 580, by a fair bit as well.
Old 18-05-11, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post

Not all of them have it, the higher end Gigabyte ones don't anyway. The Asus P8Z68 VPRO does, not sure about the MSI ones, the lower end ones do but I haven't looked at them all so I don't know whether they all do.

I haven't seen Quick Sync in action apart from the Intel keynotes at CES where it encoded a vid faster than a 580, by a fair bit as well.
oh you mean the video outputs on the mobo? yea higher ends dont but cant they still do the dGPU thing where they plug monitor into graphics card but still use quicksync features

iGPU is when you plug into the motherboard and it allows it to idle on intels video instead of graphics card for more power saving
Old 18-05-11, 10:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

oh you mean the video outputs on the mobo? yea higher ends dont but cant they still do the dGPU thing where they plug monitor into graphics card but still use quicksync features

iGPU is when you plug into the motherboard and it allows it to idle on intels video instead of graphics card for more power saving
I thought only the ones with the video output had the Lucid chip. The Gigabyte Z68 UD5 and Z68 UD7 don't have video outs or the Lucid chip and you can't use IGP on those so you wouldn't be able to use quick Sync.

I think the boards with the video outs have the Lucid chip but the ones without don't, so on the ones with out I don't think you can use it because you would need the Lucid chip to be able to use the IGP and Quick Sync.