Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 13-04-11, 06:36 PM

Hi people, i have gpu nvidia evga gtx 580 and there is a program evga precision which i can very easy overclock my gpu, and i overclock it from 797 mhz gpu to 830 mhz and shader from 2025 to 2100 mhz, but there is also option that i can oc my card gpu to 1000 mhz and shaders to 3000 mhz but i am afraid to do it, so i want to ask what happened if i turn this evga precision oc options to max? It can burn my gpu? Or my system automaticaly reset this options, or nothing hapened, or it will be much better? And when i oc my gpu it really make better performance, especially i games?

Old 13-04-11, 06:45 PM

When finding your card max limit i would recommend un ticking the "apply at windows startup" so if you do crash and its set to apply at windows start up it probz save you having big trouble.

going all max then testing would proz be bad since you dont know if the card would cope with that.
Old 13-04-11, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon View Post

When finding your card max limit i would recommend un ticking the "apply at windows startup" so if you do crash and its set to apply at windows start up it probz save you having big trouble.

going all max then testing would proz be bad since you dont know if the card would cope with that.
How i know what is maximum oc my card?
Old 13-04-11, 06:53 PM

Every card is different so work your way up the clocks and do some testing with 3d mark vantage or F@H

all good, more speed captain

Till you get artifacts then its time to declock the thing and test again, wallah you have your max OC
Old 13-04-11, 08:16 PM
OC3D Elite

Hi,

You'll need more Voltage and Precision doesn't offer Voltage tweeking. MSI Aftreburner does. If you want to stick with Precision, EVGA System Tune software called ELITE has a GPU Voltage option and I don't know how to make that work, maby it needs an EVGA motherboard. I use MSI Afterburner and it is rated as the best by many. Without the extra Voltage the GPU will not work for demanding tasks.

If your card is a standard or basic design the higher OC's I think will damage and the GF110 might survive best, other components will break sooner.
Old 13-04-11, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post

Hi,

You'll need more Voltage and Precision doesn't offer Voltage tweeking. MSI Aftreburner does. If you want to stick with Precision, EVGA System Tune software called ELITE has a GPU Voltage option and I don't know how to make that work, maby it needs an EVGA motherboard. I use MSI Afterburner and it is rated as the best by many. Without the extra Voltage the GPU will not work for demanding tasks
I think a pinned thread on the GPU max voltages is needed as even i don't know the safe voltages are.
Old 13-04-11, 08:31 PM
OC3D Elite

The max allowed Voltage is installed on the card's BIOS and it should be safe with enough cooling. The performance boost is excellent. To go higher the warranty can be VOID by editing the BIOS. Standard cards aren't designed to cope well beyond standard max BIOS Voltage settings I think and MSI makes an excellent custom card for extreme overclocking.

I've maxed the Voltage on my GTX 480's and they've been perfect. I'm confident they can endure that fo a very long time. Max frequency I can run stable on the GF100 is about 850mhz. For more I'd edit the BIOS and the rest of the card I think wont cope well. Benchmark, competition overclockers do that and I think break many cards
Old 13-04-11, 08:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Don't tick apply at startup till you know they are safe clocks.

Another vote for afterburner here too, voltage control and custom fan profiles ftw.
Old 13-04-11, 09:51 PM
OC3D Elite

EVGA's 10 year warranty covers overclocking and volting if you don't edit the BIOS for my GTX 480 and I guess it's the same for your GTX 580. Email them for confirmation. You know you have to register the card to EVGA within 30 days of purchase for the 10 year warranty I hope