Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 01-03-11, 04:37 AM

I am planning on crossfire first of all. Rampage III forumla whats you thoughts. I hear (as with all x58 mobos) people complaining about overheating of the chips on the motherboard going 80c on idle....scary stuff.

Should I worry? i7 940 (possible later upgrade to a 6 core)?

I just need an extremely trustable motherboard with incredible reviews and these ones are just scaring me even 5 star reviews are complaining about problems with heat.

sabertooth would have been cool but it isnt good for crossfire i hear

gigabyte assasin would be cool if it wasnt 560$ XD

ftw3 would be cool if it didnt have such a bad design.

Old 01-03-11, 12:32 PM
OC3D Elite

if your case has decent airflow I doubt it'll be an issue. I went and looked at the reviews as well and see what ur talkin about. But the majority dont have the issue.Might be a seating issue on the nb sink or just poor qc hard to say. But with so many out there I think its a safe bet.
WD Black 649Gb 64mb Sata 6GB/s
HIS 7970's in xfire
Custom water Cooled
Corsair AX860
Corsair Air540
Old 01-03-11, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Yep it’s a safe bet you won’t have any problems. The mobo has to be red/black?
Old 01-03-11, 02:29 PM
OC3D Crew

If you aren't set on the Formula, I would consider getting the Asus Sabertooth or the Gigabyte UD3R V2. Both are cheaper and have better performance. Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-03-11, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

I've never had any problems with overheated IOH on a R3F board.

Like the R3E you just have to replace the old thermal compound on the chipset cooler then you will see a very big drop in temperature
Old 05-03-11, 12:16 AM

I wanted the sabertooth TBH but I heard that crossfire gets insanely hot NB temps. and seems to be pretty common with the crossfire ususers. Also this R3F will allow me to put a card on the bottom and one on top providing better airflow inbetween (that is if they both run in X16).

Yes I am going to try and go for the red black theme. I love blue and black beyond belif but due to the fact that I am getting a large triple rad liquid cooled system and I found that there isnt really any good cases to choose from if I want the rad internal, so I came up with the haf X which is already a red/black theme, since I couldnt get the sabertooth and most msi boards have some problems I found the R3F and it happened to be red and black so I figured i might as well go all out and get red tubing for the liquid cooling and get UV and red lights (one for the tubing and one for a red tint) and maybe replace the top 200mm fans with red, and get red sleeving for the 32pin/8pin/and 4 6pins for the vid cards. considering getting 3 individually sleeved sata power connectors aas well just to add to the effect.

Yeah I think changing the thermalcompound and possible sticking a fan to it (if I can find a nice way of doing it) would be perfect. I saw someone with an MSI motherboard that got his temps from 70 idle to 30 idle just by chaning the compound and screwing a fan into the heatsink.
Old 05-03-11, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

R3F will be just fine for you, maybe you won’t even have these problems