Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 28-02-11, 10:36 AM
The Guvnor

Today we look at possibly the last hurrah for the LGA1366 socket, the Intel 990X. Did you win the lottery this weekend? This is for you.

Continue Reading

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Old 28-02-11, 10:42 AM
OC3D Elite

I want one but too expensive for me, even the 970 is still lol but overall good review and a good chip

Rig Gallery | My Setup | Other Builds
Old 28-02-11, 10:44 AM
OC3D Elite

Watched the video before bed last night and it does look like a beast, i'll never afford one though
Old 28-02-11, 10:49 AM
OC3D Elite

good read

ill still stick with AMD though
Old 28-02-11, 11:16 AM

It is a great chip and maybe the best one from the i7 1366 famely, but the price doesn't justify the performance as it's the case in all extreme i7 CPU-s . Especially in regards to the new Sand Bridge CPU-s.

Great review
Old 28-02-11, 11:18 AM
OC3D Elite

drools
Old 28-02-11, 11:45 AM
OC3D Elite

Performance of these things never ceases to amaze. The 980 knocks down all the conceptions - then the 990 slaps your wrists afterwards. The 995 would be something to behold, if it ever sees the light of day (I doubt it).

The price really is an irrelevance. The majority of people who'll use these will have them donated to them, unless you own your own oil rig or something. Look out for all the benchmarking records to be broken once again, with the usual suspects having this new toy.

Tis nothing like the old days where the top-of-the-line extreme processors were a little over half this one's suggested price, still high for their day, and a nice trip to the states would get you one for half the price *cough*, but even so, professionals and borderline people would actually purchase and use them.

Not withstanding the absolute power, it's something of a showcase for me. The Intel line-ups, even the "new" sockets, I don't see have too long a shelf life. There are too many new technologies coming through the pipeline to demand a serious outlay of cash for an upgrade.

If you have to - you have to. However, just this week, Apple's new mbp is coming out with a Thunderbolt socket. PCIe 3.0 is going to raise it's ugly (well pretty really) head. SATA3 will become a standard, as will USB3.0. And who knows, maybe the memory will step up to suit...

(just this week I had to stop and think, the IX48 I'm using to bench stuff is using the same grade/rating ddr3 as the i7 mobos consider good - I was donated that years ago)

... at this point, I'll buy something new me thinks.

Old 28-02-11, 01:30 PM

Now before all Sandy brigde lovers start flaming how good the new 155 chip is, to me it is rather obvious, the 1366 chip showed his strenght and power.

Despite the chip will be replaced next for the x68 or whatever they going to call it.

Pricewise there is no way to justify the money they ask for it. However since those of us are here do have a feeling for extreme hardware regardless the price.

So would I buy one ?. A definite yes I would say, but to me the i7-970 would be a more logic choice.

I will stay away from the released Sandy brigde since it doesnt give me the pleasure I would have with a 1366 CPU.

Now one thing is getting the right 1366 board, there are many outthere but I wait a bit more since several motherboard builders said there will be some new mobo`s coming.

Jacob from EVGA, already said there will be new 1366 boards coming shortly.

So unless I find me a good deal Ill wait for that and buy a i7-970.

Review, well nothing to add, your spot on I believe. Great review, as always.

Now I would like to see how far you get on the Assasin rig with watercolling on it ?.

Seeing your results you should be able to reach the 6Ghz rather easily.

So me waits for that too show up here on the frontpage.
Old 28-02-11, 01:42 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CueBall View Post

Now before all Sandy brigde lovers start flaming how good the new 155 chip is, to me it is rather obvious, the 1366 chip showed his strenght and power.

Despite the chip will be replaced next for the x68 or whatever they going to call it.

Pricewise there is no way to justify the money they ask for it. However since those of us are here do have a feeling for extreme hardware regardless the price.

So would I buy one ?. A definite yes I would say, but to me the i7-970 would be a more logic choice.

I will stay away from the released Sandy brigde since it doesnt give me the pleasure I would have with a 1366 CPU.

Now one thing is getting the right 1366 board, there are many outthere but I wait a bit more since several motherboard builders said there will be some new mobo`s coming.

Jacob from EVGA, already said there will be new 1366 boards coming shortly.

So unless I find me a good deal Ill wait for that and buy a i7-970.

Review, well nothing to add, your spot on I believe. Great review, as always.

Now I would like to see how far you get on the Assasin rig with watercolling on it ?.

Seeing your results you should be able to reach the 6Ghz rather easily.

So me waits for that too show up here on the frontpage.
Assassin is gone dude.

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Old 28-02-11, 02:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

Assassin is gone dude.
It's too bad you don't get to keep everything