Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Storage Mediums

Old 06-02-11, 04:17 AM

Hey all.

Ok I just got a Sata3 WD 1T 64mb cache in Sata2 mode (Jumpered Pins 5 and 6).

I have Win7 (enterprise 90 day evaluation) and games on my exsisting Sata2 WD 500Gig 32mb Cache.

I'm wanting to do a clean istall now that I have Win7 Ultimate 64.

So how should I setup my drives?

1. Should I continue to use the Sata2 WD 500Gig 32mb Cache for Win7 and have my games on Sata3 WD 1T 64mb cache in Sata2 mode? Or will my older drive bottle neck performance of games running off the new drive?

2. Should I have every thing on the Sata3 WD 1T 64mb cache in Sata2 mode and use my 500 gig for storage?

The new drive is faster even in sata2 mode. I got something like 67mb/sec read on the 500gig and 116mb/sec read on the 1T 64mb cache.

What do you guys think?

Tom?

Old 06-02-11, 06:21 AM
OC3D Elite

The only way a hard drive can bottle neck gaming is with your loading times, but it doesn't actually affect performance, you just might spend a little longer sitting on the loading screens.

Also when it comes to speeds with mechanical hard drives it's proportional to how much stuff you have on the hard drive. A hard drive that is almost full runs slower than a hard drive that is empty. What I would do is install the OS on the WD 1TB hard drive, since it is faster have games on that, but all movies and music on the 500GB drive, but honestly it won't make much difference at all.
Old 06-02-11, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeals View Post

The only way a hard drive can bottle neck gaming is with your loading times, but it doesn't actually affect performance, you just might spend a little longer sitting on the loading screens.

Also when it comes to speeds with mechanical hard drives it's proportional to how much stuff you have on the hard drive. A hard drive that is almost full runs slower than a hard drive that is empty. What I would do is install the OS on the WD 1TB hard drive, since it is faster have games on that, but all movies and music on the 500GB drive, but honestly it won't make much difference at all.
Ok thanks. I think I'll just keep things the way they are in that case. Format and load Win7 on the 500gig, then when I get a OCZ vertex SSD I can just transfer the OS to that and then use the 500 gig for storage.