Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Time To Live Customs

Old 19-01-11, 02:43 PM

Hey all,

Have been following the videos and forums for awhile, some really good stuff on here.

I have recently purcahsed an NZXT Phantom for a new PC build,however I am having problems deciding on cooling soulitions.

From my research I would have liked to get the Nocuta DH14 for my CPU Fan however my ram is just to big to fit it, (Corsiar Vengance)so its about as big as you can get. Ive looked into the H70 and a few of the smaller Nocutas but I just cant decide.

At the moment I have only basic case fans and the stock intel cooler which with a slight overclock my i7 950 is at over 80 degrees on full load.

Anyone have any ideas on which CPU fan to get along with how to sort the airflow out in the case?

I would like to get the additonal front, side and extra top fan for maximum airflow aswell, however I know the side fan gives problems with the oversized CPU coolers.

Any and all help would be much appriceated, system spec below.

System Spec

NZXT Phantom Stock

i7 950

ASUS P6X58D Premium iX58

Nvida 460 SOC (soon to be another one of these)

12 Gig Corsiar Vengance

850w PSU

Old 19-01-11, 02:51 PM
The Guvnor

Put the side fan in the roof slot, take the side fans out and bin them it just forces the air from the front fan out the sides.

Buy a D14 and thats it job done - simples

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 19-01-11, 02:59 PM
OC3D Elite

What about the Prolimatech Mega Shadow Deluxe and than getting a nice fan, like a Noctua or Noiseblocker?
Old 19-01-11, 03:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

Put the side fan in the roof slot, take the side fans out and bin them it just forces the air from the front fan out the sides.

Buy a D14 and thats it job done - simples
Tom I think you jumped the gun here, his main problem is his Corsair Vengeance RAM preventing him from getting a cooler like the Noctua D14 since the heatsinks are too high.
Old 19-01-11, 03:03 PM
OC3D Elite

i think you can only use the nzxt fans in the top of the case so go for the nzt fn 200rb for good air flow or the fs200rb which is the same as the one that the phantom comes with

in my rig i have in top fn 200rb and the fs200rb, back fn 120rb(came with case), side Sharkoon System Designed 140mm Fan, the hd ones are 2 fn120rb (came with case) and at the front a scythe slipstream 120 kaze-jyuni 1900rpm

i have all my fans on the fan controller and at lowest speeds keeps my rig cool and quiet at 3.8ghz and under 70degrees

heatsink wise i have the thermaltake frio but you can get better, if there is anyway you can get the noctua get it lol

Rig Gallery | My Setup | Other Builds
Old 19-01-11, 03:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicarve View Post

i think you can only use the nzxt fans in the top of the case so go for the nzt fn 200rb for good air flow or the fs200rb which is the same as the one that the phantom comes with

in my rig i have in top fn 200rb and the fs200rb, back fn 120rb(came with case), side Sharkoon System Designed 140mm Fan, the hd ones are 2 fn120rb (came with case) and at the front a scythe slipstream 120 kaze-jyuni 1900rpm

i have all my fans on the fan controller and at lowest speeds keeps my rig cool and quiet at 3.8ghz and under 70degrees

heatsink wise i have the thermaltake frio but you can get better, if there is anyway you can get the noctua get it lol
The Frio sounds like a 747 taking off when running at full speed!
Old 19-01-11, 03:11 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeals View Post

The Frio sounds like a 747 taking off when running at full speed!
it does lol, got mine on full whack at the mo as been benching have to turn music up louder to drown it out i do think the 2,600rpm is impressive though even if the cooler is not the best...

Rig Gallery | My Setup | Other Builds
Old 19-01-11, 03:42 PM

Cheers for the prompt replys!

My case runs fairly quiet atm while its not my primary concern would rather it be quite and cool than loud! Id also want to avoid modding any fans/heatsinks, im just looking for a good Noctua alternative.

I only want to overclock up to 4ghz about if that makes any differnce, and just make sure that the case doesnt overheat. Which with two Graphics cards I think it might start too.
Old 19-01-11, 04:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Thermalright Archon, is also something to look at, unlike the Promlitech you won't need to buy a fan. And it's designed so it won't ever be wide enough to contend with tall ram heatspreaders
Old 22-01-11, 04:08 AM
OC3D Crew

the prolimatech super mega that tom reviewed the other day looks quite nice. it does not seem to work as well as the noctua as far as cooling goes, but looks like a good alternative. and you should be able to fit your ram in without a problem.