Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 11-12-10, 04:33 PM

Hey, Just wondering about the sizes of fittings and tubing. Tom recommends 1/2" barbs and 7/16" tubing and I was going the same but decided to go compression fittings so I assume 1/2" compression fittings will still fit the 7/16" tubing? or will the tubing be too hard to get on?

Old 11-12-10, 05:37 PM
The Guvnor

You can NOT use 7/16 hose on 1/2 compressions the hose OD is too small and the tighting will not work. Also as they have no ridges like normal barbs those can and will pop off.

If you want comps then use 1/2 comps with 1/2 ID - 5/8 OD

Some manus do make 7/16 comps but that just gets confusing. I dont like comp fittings at all tbh.

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 11-12-10, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

You can NOT use 7/16 hose on 1/2 compressions the hose OD is too small and the tighting will not work. Also as they have no ridges like normal barbs those can and will pop off.

If you want comps then use 1/2 comps with 1/2 ID - 5/8 OD

Some manus do make 7/16 comps but that just gets confusing. I dont like comp fittings at all tbh.
Ok thanks a lot, I still think I'll keep with comps though. Btw what tubing manufacturer is the best? I've heard Tygon is.
Old 11-12-10, 09:35 PM

Quote:

I dont like comp fittings at all tbh.
Can I ask why? Do barb fittings work better? Any other reason, just personal preference? I plan on using compression fitting because I think they look better, but I haven't made any purchases yet.

3DMark11 - P10045 | X3680
Old 11-12-10, 09:46 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmblah View Post

Can I ask why? Do barb fittings work better? Any other reason, just personal preference? I plan on using compression fitting because I think they look better, but I haven't made any purchases yet.
i think he means as they have no ridges on them the tubing has more of a chance of coming lose?
Old 11-12-10, 11:15 PM

Hey, quick question: I'm having two separate loops (One for CPU and one for GPU) so how much tubing do you think that will use up? working in an corsair 700D so it's pretty spacious but I wouldn't of thought I'd use any more that 2M of tubing?

Oh and do I go masterkleer: http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/...at=1625&page=1

or Tygon? http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/...at=1625&page=1
Old 11-12-10, 11:19 PM
The Guvnor

Youll need about 3-4m just to be sure as you will make feck ups.

I dont like comps as they are big and look minging. they dont have proper barbs things but the outside but thats what the outside ring does it lock the hose in place.

I just dont like them cos they are hige and look fugly

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 12-12-10, 12:01 AM

Quote:

Youll need about 3-4m just to be sure as you will make feck ups.

I dont like comps as they are big and look minging. they dont have proper barbs things but the outside but thats what the outside ring does it lock the hose in place.

I just dont like them cos they are hige and look fugly
Ok thanks a lot Btw I would agree with you on how barbs look better but then it comes to the clamps and its either plastic rings that apparently don't work very well (I have never used so I can't really judge, just saying what a lot of people said) or jubilee clips which then makes it look really look ugly However I do actually like the look of compression fittings and although not "overflowing with sex appeal" (as one guy said) they look kind of professional.

Also which kind of tubing? I've narrowed it down to either MasterKleer or Tygon which is twice the price but slightly more kink resistant I believe, But I don't think I'm going to have any really tight turns so I think I'll just go MasterKleer. However are both of them really transparent? as in the picture on specialtech of tygon (there's a link above in earlier post) it looks it has a brown tinge though could just be bad image.