Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 08-12-10, 12:01 PM
OC3D Elite

After the arrest of Julian Assange hundreds of thousands of people on the 4chan image board website also known as the /b/ brothers, are taking down all websites linked to the wikileaks website overall downfall. This includes mastercard which is already down and they are targetting paypal next.

Is this justifiable?

The people of 4chan are hell-bent on keeping those sites down for aslong as possible!

I myself support wikileaks and what its done, but the shadowy government as we know it want every last bit of this guys crusade destroyed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11935539

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...ileaks-revenge

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...rcard.com.html

Laptop
[i7-4710MQ | 16GB | 500GB SEVO | GTX 860M]
Old 08-12-10, 12:39 PM
OC3D Elite

This was to be expected
Old 08-12-10, 02:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to F-alienware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthud1 View Post

I myself support wikileaks and what its done
I don't.

It's pretty damn obvious that the world all hate eachother. Both politically and geographically. That doesn't come as any real surprise.

Leaking stuff like that, to me, can only be construed in a few ways.

1. He is an attention seeking idiot desperate for the limelight.

2. He is a belligerent arsehole looking to start trouble.

3. He is just plain stupid and thought he would or could get away with it.

As I said above, it's no great news that the world hates eachother. It's been like that for centuries. Some things are better left unsaid for the sake of peace. Some things are better off unknown. I really don't need to know what Prince Charles had for breakfast or that President Dickhole thinks of Vladimir Putin. I also know that no government will take this lying down. There is going to be hell to pay, and tbh? what the hell did he expect?

It's almost like working for a company you don't like. I mean, no one likes working and we would all sit around all day doing SFA if we could. However, you find out a secret about your boss and instead of keeping your mouth shut you then go around blabbing it at work. Would you expect to keep your job? and what good do you think it would do in the long run? change things? do me a favour.

Absolutely and utterly NOTHING good could possibly have come from this. He has put people in danger. Women, children, people. What a complete arsehole.

It's like that utter knobmelon a few months ago who was going to burn the Qaran on national TV (that whacked out inbred prick in Florida). I mean, who gives a crap right? he's obviously a racist inbred vapid imbecile right? However it's not that thick skulled idiot I blame. It's pretty obvious what the ramifications were going to be if it was all plastered over the news. It could cause unrest, fighting and violence. Yet every news station and news paper had it as headline news. Why? why the hell would you want to provoke more hatred between one religious faction and another?

Attention. Nothing good comes out of crap like this, all it does is get some desperate knob some attention.

Personally I hope he has had his fun. I do. Because now he's got to pay the price. I personally would not like MI5 and the CIA ETC up my ass. So I hope he thinks it was worth it.

BTW dude. You say you support it. Would you be willing to put your ass on the line and do something like that?
Old 08-12-10, 09:48 PM
OC3D Crew

I said in another thread that the latest releases had nothing worth leaking. I was wrong.

These cables have shown malfeasance and abuse of power on a massive scale. They have shown that the UK government kept things from us during the Iraq enquiry. They have shown that the CIA kidnapped people in Germany and told their government to keep out of it and there is so much more that's going to come out.

I also said Assange is a bit of a ****, but the more I think about it, the more I believe that he has to be in order to so this. He is rocking the boat and going toe to toe with governments from around the world, you have to have a massive ego and balls to do that.

They have stripped all the names and most of the recognisable details from these cables. They took advice from several international news papers about what to redact and tried to get information from the US government about what needed to be removed. The US didn't reply...

These cables show abuse of power and no matter what you feel about Assange - even if he is a rapist - it doesn't change the content of these cables one bit. Instead of being embarrassed and firing a few of the worst offenders, they have chosen to abuse their positions even further and have Interpol - an organisation that deals with war criminals, mass murderers and the like - put out a red notice for a suspected rapist.

DDOSing these companies won't make them change their minds, but it might make others think twice. I don't think they've successfully brought any site down though.
Old 09-12-10, 05:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Information has been released... too late tbh.
Old 09-12-10, 05:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post

I said in another thread that the latest releases had nothing worth leaking. I was wrong.

These cables have shown malfeasance and abuse of power on a massive scale. They have shown that the UK government kept things from us during the Iraq enquiry. They have shown that the CIA kidnapped people in Germany and told their government to keep out of it and there is so much more that's going to come out.

I also said Assange is a bit of a ****, but the more I think about it, the more I believe that he has to be in order to so this. He is rocking the boat and going toe to toe with governments from around the world, you have to have a massive ego and balls to do that.

They have stripped all the names and most of the recognisable details from these cables. They took advice from several international news papers about what to redact and tried to get information from the US government about what needed to be removed. The US didn't reply...

These cables show abuse of power and no matter what you feel about Assange - even if he is a rapist - it doesn't change the content of these cables one bit. Instead of being embarrassed and firing a few of the worst offenders, they have chosen to abuse their positions even further and have Interpol - an organisation that deals with war criminals, mass murderers and the like - put out a red notice for a suspected rapist.
Not sure if I'm the only one who is confused by the use of the word 'cables' in this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post

DDOSing these companies won't make them change their minds, but it might make others think twice. I don't think they've successfully brought any site down though.
This is more confusing

i5-2500K @ 4.8Ghz | 8G DDR3 | P8Z68-V GEN3 | Archlinux | Win7
Old 09-12-10, 09:08 PM
OC3D Elite

I agree with Alien on a lot of what he said.

Some things are not for everyone to know about. While I agree with right and wrong not everyone else does, take extremists for example, they have a different opinion of what is acceptable to better their own belief and do not take any one elses into consideration.

It all reminds me of the quote in " A Few Good Men" where the lawyer asks for the truth and gets this reply:

Kaffee: *I want the truth!*

Col. Jessep: *You can't handle the truth!*

[pauses]

Col. Jessep: Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Another type of quote that reminds me of why the leaks should not have happened is "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Old 10-12-10, 02:56 AM

Talking about what both Alien and chudley have, I'd add that it's about the difficulty of organising a society with perfect information on the demographics to be able to ascertain the level of information that is available to them. While many learned people would be intrigued to the Wikileaks findings others may take that it react and do something that harms lives. You cannot calculate which stories are allowed to pass to who, as once it's out there then it's out and with sensitive issues this can cause huge problems. While there is benefit to the some of the information from Wikileaks it's also dangerous, I'm in no way condoning the failing released by Wikileaks I just question if they really thought about the full ramifications of the manner in which they did it especially with the media hype bringing people who would normally have never seen Dispatches or any such show into the picture. That's good for some as it gives them a better insight into the world, but for others it provides more room for a lot of "crazy" talk about things that are barely understood.

Wikileaks is said to be releasing documents from a harddrive about executives from Bank of America, and how this could even bring down "the unnamed bank" (said to be BoA) due to the level of corruption within the higher ranks. While on the surface that makes sense, let's think more about that by taking a look at the fact that the Fed bailout information was released showing what a huge chunk of money BoA recieved which is much less than Citigroup but still, then with news of an impending Wikileaks release the stock price dipped but later recovered. Bad things are known about BoA's practices such as the Merrill Lynch buyout, and it's dealings in subprime with automated systems it also owns MBNA a relatively "bad" credit company and so on. If the Wikileaks documents were about BoA and really were that damaging to the banks stock price, investors, investor relations and clients then regardless of how bad the banks practices were and it's behaviour that'd cause speculator hysteria to crush the banks liquidity and as it stands it'd be a huge problem for many business and home owners, it'd cause a bigger problem than it'd solve and be quite frankly irresponsible if the information was that damning. Give it to the regulators as they're there for a reason, a huge speculative hysterical response could have large ramifications for an economy that's only just starting to look good again.

I'm torn on the Wikileaks issue because some of what's been released is just so damn important but then on the other hand it's playing with fire, some things aren't meant to be known by those that would misuse it or gloss over what they feel are the key points and use it in their own ramblings. Yes there are problems with major systems and wars, we all know that (at least those who've thought properly about it) but there are ways to deal with certain things, although that said the shock to the world has had some good effects too. It's an issue that's all over the place and has me rambling on too.

I'll close by saying that those that are putting the pressure on for Wikileaks to be crushed aren't affected by the DDoSing of Paypal and so on, to me it looks more like an elaborate petition to show how many are angered by the way Wikileaks is being dealt with. DDoSing these sites as an act in itself achieves little if anything, but the message is there although it's obvious because people were so intrigued by the releases anyway. The debates and the talks will go on and so will the actions taken by both sides and it'll be interesting to see how it pans out. Apologies to anyone that read the entire wall, that's time in your life I can't refund!
Old 10-12-10, 09:17 AM
OC3D Elite

LOL at 16 year old Dutch boyie

nice ha running a little pesty program

The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it’s impossible to turn back.
Old 17-12-10, 07:20 PM

omg 4chan is everywhere!