Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Time To Live Customs

Old 01-12-10, 05:39 AM
OC3D Crew

Send a message via MSN to cbiltsouris
Hey everyone I replaced the d14 with the stock cooler from intrel and I also changed the heatsink from the northbidge I don't know which one but it cones with an extra heat sink any way I fired her up and she wouldn't start... Checked all the cables and the psu and still no start however the fog light flash and on my 1st bios chip its lit up orange wiser day much? Anyone asking what the specs are there here i7 950, re3 extreme, nhd14, dominator gt 6gb 2000mhz c8 2 ngtx 460 hawks in sli and that the main parts

Old 01-12-10, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to MeltedDuron Send a message via MSN to MeltedDuron
you tried a cmos reset? not sure about the R3E but there should definitely be a jumper or switch on the board somewhere to reset it. You could also try pulling the battery overnight, and reseating the ram.

I'm sure somebody experienced with the rampage will chime in soon, but I'd try my suggestions in the mean time.

On a side note would it kill you to use paragraphs? No offence intended mate but it'd make it a lot easier for you to get your points across.
Old 01-12-10, 07:55 AM
OC3D Crew

Sorry about the paragraphs I'm on my iPhone so Its harder to type. Where would the reset switches be? And how in the world do you clean on dried thermal paste on a heatsink. I also used the noctua thermal compound for the north bridge heatsink, was a disaster, so I reapplied it and now it's got marks all over it The only thing I used to clean it is with mentholated spirits

Old 01-12-10, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Ah I didn't realise you were on a phone, fair play to ya.

Have a look in the manual for the cmos reset location, there should be a troubleshooting section at the back, and an overview of the board at the front.

As for cleaning off thermal paste, I'd recommend Isopropyl alcohol (sold as CD cleaner) or lighter fluid. Methylated spirits like you've tried would probably work as well but they may leave a blue residue. Scraping off what you can with plastic (an old credit card works well, or a CD will do in a pinch) will go a long way before it's time to break out the solvents. Use cotton wool or tissue paper to clean up as the solvents will dissolve the paste.

Edit: for really stubborn stuff like glue residue I've used petrol, but I really wouldn't reccomend it for obvious (explosive) reasons. Just take your time and you should be able to get everything cleaned up.
Old 01-12-10, 08:29 AM
OC3D Crew

I'll do that tommorow and see what happens theres only so much a frustrated 15 yr old can do and another is alright to use the noctua paste on the north bridge heatsink?

Old 01-12-10, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

I was there too once mate albeit not with such a mental rig..You really did dive in at the deep end with this.

Noctua paste should be fine on the northbridge, as long as the contact is good any paste should work on a NB.