Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Cases & Power

Old 26-11-10, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Just bought a 6 inch 4-pin to 8-pin EPS Power Adaptor with LP4 so I can use my existing 500W OCZ stealth extreme PSU on my new mobo which is a PC-AM3RS790G - PURE CrossFireX 790GX. I realise this board will offend most of you but I wasn't outbid I made the initial bid thinking it would be an ok board for the time being and before joining this site.

My question is. Do I have to connect the molex and the 4 pin ATX cable to the 8 pin adapter or just choose one of them? I'm planning on using both of them but i'm no expert with this sort of thing.

Old 26-11-10, 10:11 PM

Send a message via MSN to F-alienware
The 4 pin will fit right into your motherboard. It can only go into the 8 pin socket one way. I tried to explain to you about three times that the adapter was a waste of time. It's complete snake oil. If your PSU can power the board it will work. If it can't no adapter is going to make any difference.
Old 29-11-10, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

The 4 pin will fit right into your motherboard. It can only go into the 8 pin socket one way. I tried to explain to you about three times that the adapter was a waste of time. It's complete snake oil. If your PSU can power the board it will work. If it can't no adapter is going to make any difference.
Hi

Board is working fine with 4 pin ATX cable but I should also point out that the board has a 4 pin molex connector on it (for ATX power) which I have connected to a spare molex power connector as per the manual. My SATA CD/DVD player is getting no power to it whatsoever though which is odd. The SATA power connectors start with DVD player, then connect to HD then slave HD and they are all powered fine, only the DVD player is not detected for obvious reasons.

Been researching the net and come up with zilch so far as to why the PSU is not powering the DVD player....

TBC
Old 29-11-10, 01:34 PM
OC3D Elite

if that molex power is near the pci-e's thats usually what its used to power mate

Intel Core i7 @ 4ghz and rising!

Noctua NH-D14 - Samsung F3 1TB - Asus P6X58D Premium - 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600

Zotac GTX580 at 895/1790/4200 @ 1030v (1000mv stock @ 772 core) - Corsair TX850 - Corsair 700D

Old 29-11-10, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestepster View Post

if that molex power is near the pci-e's thats what its used to power mate
Just checked the manual and it's described as "4-pin connector that supports extra 12V/5V power to your system" that suggests to me it's for the board, not the GPU which is fine as I have a 6pin for that sono worries there.

As my PSU has only the 4 pin ATX powerconnector I assume this oneon the board will add the rest of the power it needs and I have a spare molex power connector anyway..problem solved no.....