Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > OS & Apps

Old 17-11-10, 02:40 AM

Alrighty my first post adding something back, many reading this will know about these already but hey ho might help somebody out.

1) Graphical disk space representation with Space Monger. Download - SpaceMonger 1.4

This program shows your hard drive usage as proportional squares which is great for getting a feel for your drive usage and for those "MY IPHONE BACK UP IS HOW BIG???" moments so you can clean some extraneous stuff up. It's an old version but it's free and works for Win 7 and Vista that I've used.

2) Power searching your hard drives with Agent Ransack. Download - Agent Ransack 2010

Agent Ransack is great as it power searches very quickly using multiple threads and searches deeply, it's also intelligent and has more options as far as searching goes and the parameters you use. For those of you who may have disabled indexing like myself it's also incredibly useful. Feature comparison of the free version to the paid version.

3) Defragging your PageFile with PageDefrag (Win XP) - PageDefrag

For those still on XP who want have a fragmented pagefile and want it to get defragged quickly on a reboot without resetting the pagefile then use this. Otherwise if you're on Vista or 7 best bet is to redo your pagefile and set the min and max values the same as the system recommended value so that it doesn't fluctuate in size, and then move it to the faster beginning of your disk and there are many ways to do that.

These are pretty old and can be inconsequential to most but it can be a real help to the few who want them.

Old 17-11-10, 09:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to F-alienware
Jgoodies Jtools is wicked for seeing your disk space/usage. It uses pie charts.
Old 18-11-10, 12:30 AM

Jgoodies

It looks quite nice although seems marginally less intuitive in it's presentation, nice that there are other options out there
Old 18-11-10, 02:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to F-alienware
It's simple clean and easy. Which is great if you just need to find some bloat and get it shifted

Has a nice feature where you click on the pie with the large chunks of data and then get it to send you to the offending places.

I didn't realise that when you use DVD shrink to rip a DVD to TS it stuffs the entire bloody image in a temp folder that doesn't auto clean. I had about 50gb of films I'd ripped a year earlier lol.
Old 18-11-10, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

It's simple clean and easy. Which is great if you just need to find some bloat and get it shifted

Has a nice feature where you click on the pie with the large chunks of data and then get it to send you to the offending places.

I didn't realise that when you use DVD shrink to rip a DVD to TS it stuffs the entire bloody image in a temp folder that doesn't auto clean. I had about 50gb of films I'd ripped a year earlier lol.
Christ 50GB err I hope an update makes it auto-clean, yesus christos lol. Yep sounds fairly similar to SpaceMonger I'd get annoyed without a program like these two, as you show an example of things like that just take up needless space and get lost! I'll remember that about DVD Shrink.