Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 10-11-10, 07:38 PM

As the topic states, I'm looking for a cheap "this will do" build for the next 8 months or so. My system is in dire need of updating, and I was planning on doing 1-2 parts a month until I could build a decent upper-mid range system.. Though due to other circumstances, and "real life" not caring about our love for our PC's, I'm looking at doing something a little more temporary.. Not a permanent solution by any means.

Only parts I need: Motherboard, Processor, Ram

The rest I have will suffice, or can more easily be updated piece by piece. Those 3 are all I'm looking to purchase some time next month.

My budget is between 400-500$ .. Though I'm trying to stick close to the 400$ mark.

What I have so far.. Keeping in mind it is a budgeted upgrade of course.

Mobo: ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Ram: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2G 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

I know the RAM is solid, so the "budget" part is of course MAINLY the motherboard, the fact I'm going AMD over Intel (intel is generally my product of choice, but AMD is the MUCH cheaper option).

Any idea's? Changes? Comments? Any help is much appreciated. Seeing as I dont have a lot to "spoil" myself with this holiday season, and an upgrade is truly in need, I want to make sure with the budget I have I purchase the best I can.

AMD Phenom ii Black Edition 975 @4.2OC,8GB G.Skill Sniper @1600, ASUS Radeon 6950HD 2GB

Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate, 1000 watt Corsair HX

Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSDHD, 1.5TB WD Caviar Green

CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000

Noctua NH-D14

Steelserires 5h V2 Headset
Old 10-11-10, 11:11 PM

Send a message via MSN to F-alienware
EDIT. You made a massive error there my friend. NO AMD CHIP supports triple channel ram. So that Mushkin would not work.

Oh no here we go again. The 965 is a terrible buy.. Please, don't think I am being an Ahole I am just being honest mate.

$165.99. And how much is the X6 1055T? $179 free shipping. Making the 965 an absolute waste of money. However. Let me advise you on an absolutely cracking system for the money with massive OC potential.

CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-222-_-Product

BOARD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-421-_-Product

RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-260-_-Product

Please believe me when I say the I3 is an awesome CPU. So awesome it can easily reach 4ghz. It also has Hyperthreading and in most cases will beat the 965. I know that sounds hard to believe but please, just trust me on this. Asrock boards are terrible for overclocking so don't go there unless you want stock speeds. You don't need 6gb of ram 4gb is plenty.

You'll save a few pennies on that PC and it will be far better.
Old 11-11-10, 05:02 PM

That saves quite a bit actually, much less than my minimum mark. I completely agree with the choices.

Thanks so much for your help and insight, it's much appreciated.

Well I'm still not looking to pick anything up for about a month, so any other idea's are always welcome.

The MAIN reason I was going for the Mushkin RAM, was I was looking for something that could be "recycled" into the newer build I will do into next year.

AMD Phenom ii Black Edition 975 @4.2OC,8GB G.Skill Sniper @1600, ASUS Radeon 6950HD 2GB

CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000

Noctua NH-D14

Old 11-11-10, 06:43 PM

At the moment mate it's all pretty much set in stone tbh. The only AMDs worth considering now due to Intel's aggressive pricing are the Thuban X6 range. And those are better suited to high class boards and high class ram (Crosshair IV, Dominators ETC).

The next logical step up from the I3 is the I5. Nothing AMD do can touch either of those or the non HTed Pentium based on Clarkdale at any of the price brackets. The Thubans merely provide an alternative.

As a budget machine it simply has to be I3 with the UD2. There really is not a better combo choice on the market ATM.

What's also great about the I3 (and Socket 1156) is that Intel make a broad range of cpus on it. I3, I5 and IIRC the I7 870 or something like that? and they have made no noises about dropping it any time soon.

AMD on the other hand have been very honest and very upfront. The AM3 socket is about to be replaced with AM3+ and nothing before it will fit. Basically because it now has an onboard GPU (on the CPU die) and thus the chipset needs to be completely different (see Intel's Sandybridge or whatever the bugger it's called).

Sorry for waffling on. Obs choosing Intel right now is not as clear cut as "AMD are sh*t ! get an Intel !". There are 101 reasons why it really should be Intel
Old 11-11-10, 06:55 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

At the moment mate it's all pretty much set in stone tbh. The only AMDs worth considering now due to Intel's aggressive pricing are the Thuban X6 range. And those are better suited to high class boards and high class ram (Crosshair IV, Dominators ETC).

The next logical step up from the I3 is the I5. Nothing AMD do can touch either of those or the non HTed Pentium based on Clarkdale at any of the price brackets. The Thubans merely provide an alternative.

As a budget machine it simply has to be I3 with the UD2. There really is not a better combo choice on the market ATM.

What's also great about the I3 (and Socket 1156) is that Intel make a broad range of cpus on it. I3, I5 and IIRC the I7 870 or something like that? and they have made no noises about dropping it any time soon.

AMD on the other hand have been very honest and very upfront. The AM3 socket is about to be replaced with AM3+ and nothing before it will fit. Basically because it now has an onboard GPU (on the CPU die) and thus the chipset needs to be completely different (see Intel's Sandybridge or whatever the bugger it's called).

Sorry for waffling on. Obs choosing Intel right now is not as clear cut as "AMD are sh*t ! get an Intel !". There are 101 reasons why it really should be Intel
you have learned well young padawan

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 11-11-10, 07:35 PM

Haha !

So when do I get my sabre bitch?
Old 11-11-10, 07:35 PM

Great points!

And frankly, at a whopping grand total of 310$, after tax, and free shipping, it's impossible to argue against.

Not to mention with the OC potential, and ability if i choose to run dual gpu's, I think it will not only last for as long as I need it to. Will exceed my expectations.

Now for future endeavors, any recommendations for video cards for the board?

I currently have the 4800HD (the his iceq4 version). After the combo is put together in December, shortly after I was going to get a new gpu, and then another a month or so later and sli/xfire them.

That being said, since you've given such rock solid advice thus far, idea's for a solid gpu that runs great solo, and then is worth it also to sli/xfire down the road?

The PLAN, was to go with Asus GTX460 .. and then purchase another when the finances could be justified.

CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000

Noctua NH-D14

Old 11-11-10, 07:44 PM

Careful with the 4 series ATM dude. They're dropping like the Hindenburg.

The most notable drops have been the 470s. This one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-073-_-Product

Is only ever so slightly more and will cut the 460's throat.

Also, don't forget a cooler. You need a darn good one to be reaching the 4ghz.
Old 11-11-10, 07:55 PM

Good call. I was going to go with the Noctua NH-D14 Cant go wrong with it. Will EASILY fit in my tower, and I'm already running 5 120mm scythe case fans as is.

I figure with the Noctua.. yea it's cutting into my "budget" build.. but it's something I can use again in the future, and will continue to perform well as I need it to.

CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000

Noctua NH-D14

Old 11-11-10, 08:10 PM

Absolutely. You will just not be able to believe the size of it (ooer) lol.

Haha it's going to drown that motherboard