Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 10-11-10, 06:47 AM
The Guvnor

Finally the NDA for the retail cards has lifted so barely 8 months after the GTX480 hit the market nVidia have released their next card, the GTX580. Does it fix the issues?

Continue Reading

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 10-11-10, 07:01 AM
OC3D Crew

Send a message via MSN to AMD_PBz
Another Great Review Bryan

And The best Review Video's on you tube Tom

Another Top notch job to both of you Lads !

Best Line Ever!

"Considering the main problem with the GTX480 was it being hotter than Katy Perry wearing nothing but a smile"

It's better to contribute what you have than not contribute at all!

It's all about team work!

Team Redline 98860 @OC3D Folding@Home Check us out!

PBzzz on 360
Old 10-11-10, 08:07 AM
OC3D Elite

Be interested in what you thought of the drivers. What we've picked up was that it seemed as if just the identifiers were in the 262.xx, and that 263.xx atleast should have some 5xx 'special stuff' in them.

The oc too, somewhere around 100mhz should really be achieveable as there will be something like a 835 or 850 "oc" variant on the market using the same cooler and the usual crappy compound.

Not really worth it if you got a tamed 480. But £400 should really be the stock versions price prior to christmas, dropping to £350-375 in Q1.

Old 10-11-10, 08:35 AM
OC3D Crew

Impressive stuff indeed. I'm almost tempted to splurge some student loan on one of these

I'd deffo rather turn the fan up a little bit more than let temps creep up, I play my games quite loud so wouldn't hear it anyways.

Great combined effort though guys, keep it up

Core i7 930 / Asus Rampage III Gene / Corsair HX850 / GTX460 448 Twin Frozr III / Noctua NH-D14
Old 10-11-10, 08:47 AM

"It's got an Nvidia badge on it...I'm gonna go buy it!" Haha, so true

I am interested now to see where the 6970 comes out in relation; will it be better? Or will it be 10% less powerful but at a £100 lower price point?
Old 10-11-10, 10:24 AM

I’ve seen the sli performance for the 580 on GURU 3D and it is very similar to the 480 so for me no upgrade & no selling my 480’s on eBay, I think I’ll wait for the next generation or something with at least 50% more kick to justify the huge price tag and also there are no games that really demand more power right now so the Christmas dough will have to go this year on something ells.

Old 10-11-10, 10:24 AM

Send a message via MSN to F-alienware
At last. At pigging last a decent review pitting it against other cards of the ilk.

Being brutally frank I am still not sold. I would still rather have the lightning for its build quality, back plate and (IMO) better cooling solution.

I would say hats off to Nvidia but I can't. Mostly because I feel for those who bought the 480 who really should have got this card.

Is it a good card? yes. But there are still forks in the road that lead to where it is now.

There is one great part to this card though. 4 series cards are now dropping through the floor in prices. This morning I stopped over at OCUK only to find they are selling the EVGA 460 1gb for £135 or so. This is actually the most awesome part to come from the 5 series launch. Most of the 4 series were very fast cards. Obviously the 460 doesn't need any fettling to get right but the 470 can now be had, with a Gelid Icyvision (which isn't the best cooler but does make it behave) for £200. And the 470 beats the 5850 by quite a margin (in all of the tests and reviews it only lost in Anno whatever the heck that was, taking a clear lead in absolutely everything else).

Again, you guys absolutely rock. I love this review because it gives a very good understanding of exactly what this card can do when pitted against the cards that are in the same pricing bracket AND the one that was the pre 'what the 480 should have been'.

So a big thankyou as always. I can't quite put my finger on it but there's just something very honest and very real about OC3D reviews that I can't seem to find anywhere else. Maybe it's the fact that the reviewers here (and IMO Bryan above all else, sorry other reviewers ! ) are so passionate about the job in hand. I mean, there I was last night literally with my hands together praying that the lightning could be used in this review. And there it is.

*applauds*
Old 10-11-10, 10:28 AM
OC3D Elite

This touches on what I was going to ask..

I was reading that the 480's performance actually suffered as it got hotter.

Look at some of the 580 benches here, it looks like it has been throttled on certain games at certain settings. While this was probably still playing silently, would the performance have increased should you have manually bumped the fan speed up and in turn lowered the temps so if throttling was happening, it would be aleviated and fps may have increased.

Reason I ask is that I tend to set my own fan profiles manually and as Runebeard said, I'm not fussed at all by noise from the fan while gaming.

Oh yeah, nice review by the way Brian... One thing you might want to update though is talking about the cooler.. You say it's a big lump of copper and heatsink but don't once mention the vapor chamber part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runebeard View Post

Impressive stuff indeed. I'm almost tempted to splurge some student loan on one of these

I'd deffo rather turn the fan up a little bit more than let temps creep up, I play my games quite loud so wouldn't hear it anyways.

Great combined effort though guys, keep it up
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit
Old 10-11-10, 10:32 AM
OC3D Crew

Want to see what a non ref one can do from some one like msi or gainward
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? It may be answered that one should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, is much safer to be feared than loved

Nicolo Machiavelli
Old 10-11-10, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

At last. At pigging last a decent review pitting it against other cards of the ilk.

Being brutally frank I am still not sold. I would still rather have the lightning for its build quality, back plate and (IMO) better cooling solution.

I would say hats off to Nvidia but I can't. Mostly because I feel for those who bought the 480 who really should have got this card.

Is it a good card? yes. But there are still forks in the road that lead to where it is now.

There is one great part to this card though. 4 series cards are now dropping through the floor in prices. This morning I stopped over at OCUK only to find they are selling the EVGA 460 1gb for £135 or so. This is actually the most awesome part to come from the 5 series launch. Most of the 4 series were very fast cards. Obviously the 460 doesn't need any fettling to get right but the 470 can now be had, with a Gelid Icyvision (which isn't the best cooler but does make it behave) for £200. And the 470 beats the 5850 by quite a margin (in all of the tests and reviews it only lost in Anno whatever the heck that was, taking a clear lead in absolutely everything else).

Again, you guys absolutely rock. I love this review because it gives a very good understanding of exactly what this card can do when pitted against the cards that are in the same pricing bracket AND the one that was the pre 'what the 480 should have been'.

So a big thankyou as always. I can't quite put my finger on it but there's just something very honest and very real about OC3D reviews that I can't seem to find anywhere else. Maybe it's the fact that the reviewers here (and IMO Bryan above all else, sorry other reviewers ! ) are so passionate about the job in hand. I mean, there I was last night literally with my hands together praying that the lightning could be used in this review. And there it is.

*applauds*
Thanks for your feelings