Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Memory

Old 07-11-10, 06:56 PM

I'm about to buy the following hardware for heavy graphics and video editing:

ASUS Sabertooth X58 mobo

Core i7 980X

Thermalright Silver Arrow (if I can find one)

nVidia GTX480

WD and Samsung HDDs (7 in total)

CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W

My problem is the choice of RAM. I need a minimum of 12GB for the video editing. This could be one of the following options:

1. Two kits of 3x2GB (same spec and ideally close serial numbers)

2. One kit of 6x2GB (not so many around)

3. One kit of 3x4GB (apparently higher CAS latencies)

From what I've read, the advantage of option 2 over option 1 would be in overclocking, since the DIMMs would supposedly be more closely matched. I will probably try some non-extreme overclocking to improve rendering times. So is it likely to be easier to overclock one bank of triple-channel memory (option 3) than two banks (option 1 or 2)?

I've also read that the performance of X58 mobos is best when only one bank of the triple-channel memory is populated. Why is this? One article indicated that the second bank controller was too weak and that voltages may need to be increased for stability. This seems very odd - why offer six slots if they can't be used without tweaking voltages? Or is this performance degradation to do with the increased quantity of RAM, rather than the fact that 3 or 6 slots are being used? I had a look at the Intel datasheets and it seems there's only one integrated memory controller, so from a clock cycle / latency point of view, what's the difference between addressing 12GB on 3 DIMMs and 12GB on 6 DIMMs? Is this to do with extra processor transactions, increased track lengths / impedence, or something else?

Various video forums indicate that lower CAS latencies are more important than high frequencies for video work, saying that there is little point spending money on memory with higher frequency than that recommended for the CPU (Intel state 1066MHz for the 980X/X58 - here). Is this correct?

I'd be grateful if someone could explain what happens to CAS latencies when two kits of 3x2GB DIMMs are used. For example, the Mushkin Ridgeback 998826 3x2GB kit (review by OC3D) is rated at 6-8-6-24, 1600MHz stock. If I used two of these kits for 12GB, would the latency settings still be correct for this amount of memory? If so, shouldn't these 6 sticks be faster than one kit of the Mushkin Ridgeback 998776 3x4GB (OC3D review), which has 9-9-9-24 timings at stock 1600MHz?

Has anyone successfully used the above Mushkin combinations on the ASUS Sabertooth X58 mobo?

Sorry for the length of this post and the number of questions, but I guess that if someone can answer them, there will be many people out there who will be as pleased as me.

Thanks, Charles.

Old 07-11-10, 07:16 PM
OC3D Elite

look at mushkin RAM

and it should come in sticks of 4 for triple channel

also

DH14 instead of the arrow

why a mix of HDD's juts use samsung

and corsair PSU's over that CM one

is that a stock 480 (cooled)
Old 07-11-10, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDFTW View Post

look at mushkin RAM

and it should come in sticks of 4 for triple channel

also

DH14 instead of the arrow

why a mix of HDD's juts use samsung

and corsair PSU's over that CM one

is that a stock 480 (cooled)
@AMDFTW, thanks for the fast reply. I'm looking at Mushkin - are you advising 3x4GB not two kits of 3x2GB?

Silver Arrow v NH-DH14 - see this review. I also like the second 14cm fan rather than 12cm - balanced air flow through both sets of heatpipes/fins. The design of the fins with the angled edges looks good to me - this should increase air flow when the air spirals off the rotating blades.

1 x WD Velociraptor 600GB on SATAIII port (Boot disk - OS, applications, pagefile)

2 x WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID1 (data, video footage, etc. - security of data important here)

4 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (possibly short-stroked) in RAID0 - these disks are apparently optimized for large files(scratch files, previews, etc. - security not important)

I haven't decided on the GTX480 yet - I'm hoping that the GTX580 will be announced this Tuesday, which should run cooler (lower wattage), have more GPU cores, more RAM, higher frequency and will hopefully be about the same price - here's one report of many...
Old 08-11-10, 10:41 AM
The Guvnor

Dont buy the 980x get the 970 and *ahem* 580 is out tomorrow.

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 08-11-10, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

Dont buy the 980x get the 970 and *ahem* 580 is out tomorrow.
Thanks Tom. I guess there's a post somewhere on OC3D that explains why the 970 is better than the 980x, but are the reasons lower cost for the same number of cores, same 32nm architecture, same 12 MB cache, and can be overclocked to similar speeds? Does the lower QPI 4.8 GT/s spec make much of a difference?
Old 10-11-10, 03:36 PM

@AMDFTW - I checked out the Corsair AX1200 and it looks impressive when compared with the Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W, as you suggested. It's a bit more expensive but probably worth the extra. Thanks for the advice. Here's a review of the AX1200 and here's a review of the Coolermaster. The reviewer is quite a character!
Old 10-11-10, 03:59 PM
OC3D Elite

For the love of god please don't get a Coolermaster PSU the Corsair is the one to go with !

The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it’s impossible to turn back.