Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 02-11-10, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

As I thought that my GFX is faulty, I bought 2 x 460 GTx today, unfortunately I got the same problem like before on GTX480 gfx card.

Freezing in games, Crysis, Metro 2033 and some other, but first two are very bad.Picture is jumping even when i have 90 FPS, and freezing for 1/100 sec all the time.

As I have been told this is problem with card memory I thought that replacing card will help, which it didn’t.

I think this may be problem with my RAM or Mobo.

My rig:

EVGA x58 SLI le, i7 920, 6 GB Dominator 1600 MHz, 2 x 460 GTX, Enermax 1250W revolution one.

I'm testing now Prime 95 along with OCCT CPU Linpak and superPi 32M = all over 40 minutes, everything seems to be fine, even checking voltages to check that everything is ok with my PSU.

Strange thing is that on my old gtx280 my CPU was OCed up to 4 GHz, now it is impossible and it is restarting, or getting BSOD after a while when 3D apps is running.

Cards seems to be fine as in Vantage I can get over 29K - with no Ocing. Also BBC2 is ok.

What the problem is - anybody know?

Old 02-11-10, 07:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Now this is thread (a lot) with a Fermi and overclocking problems , i see a pattern

So ones NOT overclocked everything is running fine ?

The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it’s impossible to turn back.
Old 02-11-10, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Nope - even when on default still freezing, no BSOD tho, but cannot play Metro and Crysis.

Just finished Prime, OCCT Linpak and superPi32M (1hour) - prime still running - everything fine.
Old 02-11-10, 07:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Now i am going towards faulty system memory as i remember this when i had one stick that was faulty,

rig also locked up/bsod's even the restarts you mentioned..

I didn't read your other thread about this issue but i take it you also tried different memory ?

i am now going to train, so i won't be able to reply untill tomorrow.. so excuse me about that

The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it’s impossible to turn back.
Old 02-11-10, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Ok thanks anyway - No I didn't try other RAM mate.
Old 03-11-10, 12:04 AM

Send a message via MSN to F-alienware
What did I say yesterday? Oh yeah that was it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

Run a test on your physical ram and your hard drive.
Which you chose to ignore. Being patient I said it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

Any model and any version are the same. Stay away from the blower fans though as they're noisy and far less efficient.

Did you test your memory and hard drive? because if not it could work out to be a costly upgrade that doesn't fix the situation.

Make sure with a suspected bad part that you test every single last part of your system before you decide to replace something.
In future please read the advice given to you. It will save you money.

Google windows memory test. It's free and will write to every single last sector of your ram. If that doesn't fix it go to the site of your drive make (WD for example) and download their hard drive testing application. If you want to test your CPU use Prime95.

Oh and get the ram timings for your ram (the exact settings) and make sure they are all present and correct in the bios. That includes ram voltage. Good luck with that though, good old EVGA quirky bios FTL.
Old 03-11-10, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

I've tested meory via Memtest86 under windows for 6 hours (all unsued RAM) - seems to be fine - no errors.

CPU tested via Prime95, and OCCT Linpak - ok.

SMART od My HDD is ok - I'm using SSD for OS and WD 640 Black for Games, dATA etc,

PSU ok as I have tested on another one and same problems occured.

Timmings for my RAM are ok, as should be, voltage also.

BIOS flashed to newsest one.
Old 03-11-10, 11:08 AM

The fact is that this can be a bunch of problems and the only way to find out is to replace hardware. Yeh, ok, you might not have the money to just buy random bits of hardware and change it to see if it works, but I guess it is the only way. It can be the GPU, RAM, Mobo, hell, it could be your monitor, it could even be Windows being gay like usual. There are too many factors.

Personally, it could be the mobo more than anything. You got sufficient wattage to power it all? I assume so but asking anyway.
Old 03-11-10, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

I've checked on another Monitor, I've installed Crysis on my SSD instead WD, Checked PSU using another one, changed gtx480 for 2 x 460 GTX - using SLI and single card set up, different Drivers, checked my WD HDD by WD tool, checked RAm by memtest 86 under windows for 6 hours - no luck.

I bought new Mobo as I think it is the problem, we will see tomorrow.

Also reinstalled windows 2 days ago.
Old 03-11-10, 11:40 AM

Send a message via MSN to F-alienware
OK next test. Take your motherboard out and make sure it isn't shorting anywhere. Check for extra mounting posts in the wrong places.

Make sure you don't have any loose cables (SATA, power) check all of your cards. Reseat the CPU.

If that doesn't work then try a different PSU.

However if none of the above work then I would imagine it could be that motherboard. I have absolutely no faith in Evga's boards at all really.

Sorry mate didn't see that. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post

Strange thing is that on my old gtx280 my CPU was OCed up to 4 GHz, now it is impossible and it is restarting, or getting BSOD after a while when 3D apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnW View Post

Now this is thread (a lot) with a Fermi and overclocking problems , i see a pattern

So ones NOT overclocked everything is running fine ?
I've had no such problems. I strongly suspect this is an Evga issue. It just sounds like classic Evga. Infact it sounds pretty much identical to the issues my mate was having with his 790i ultra sli. However I could be wrong and my second guess (that is merely a guess) would be the PSU.