Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section

Old 11-10-10, 06:18 AM

Hello all. Just wanted to see if anybody has sought out the best customer support options for programs like Acronis Workstation and Backup Executive? A couple years ago I received stateside support via paying for "Essential Support" with Backup Executive. However, when I called months ago it was an oversees professional providing the service. He said no higher level of service could be purchased beyond the essential support that I already had. Bummer. Anyone have any thoughts about this or the Advantage Premier support that can be purchased with Acronis Workstation? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-10-10, 08:09 AM
OC3D Elite

why do you need support?

i use ghost IMO it just works lol
Old 12-10-10, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDFTW View Post

why do you need support?

i use ghost IMO it just works lol
I mostly use the feature to restore images to dissimilar hardware.

www.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-restore-anyware-restore-anywhere

www.acronis.com/backup-recovery/advanced-server/universal-restore.html

My experience has been that even if I feed either program the correct storage controller driver, some of the time it still won't properly instate it...resulting in 0x7B or 0x7E bug checks. Backup Executive mishandles it more than Acronis WS but nevertheless the problem can occur with both. When this happens, it's a big pain to hack/tweak the image/restoration without some expert guidance. The means to quickly tap into expert working knowledge to fix these is invaluable to me.
Old 25-10-10, 04:17 AM

A final update... It looks like www.paragon-software.com/business/db-workstation with their "extended support" service is just what the doctor ordered. The don't charge extra money for the feature of restoring to dissimilar hardware & all of their support professionals are in the US (in California). They charge an extra $15 for the "extended support" but it's worth 10x that to me. Their program has a couple little quirks I hadn't observed with Acronis/Backup Exec. However, it's nothing that really diminishes the overall effectiveness of the program. Yippee!