Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat > Serious Discussion

Old 06-10-10, 12:12 PM
OC3D Crew

Scan have gone REALLY downhill lately.

Purchased a £120 router back in January, router has gone faulty.

Decided to get a replacement from scan.co.uk, and they basically said "sorry guv, don't have that router in stock, however, we can give you this one instead <some £50 belkin thing>.

I basically stated "erm.....purchased router for £120, so I want up to £120 of router..."

They basically replied with this:

"Unfortunately looking at the current value of the returned item and taking into account the benefit of use obtained from the item an exchange to the DGN2200 is not possible.

Wesley

Scan Computers

The set of characters in the subject uniquely identifies your query. When replying to this email please ensure that these characters remain unaltered.

This message is entirely the creation of its author in his or her personal capacity and any views expressed in this message are the views of that author. Accordingly, Scan Computers Intl Ltd shall not be nor become liable in any way, whether contractually, tortuously or otherwise, in respect of anything stated or depicted in this message. Please also note that this message shall not constitute an offer or an acceptance or be legally binding upon Scan Computers Intl Ltd in any way."

Utter *poo*. No other company operates that dumbass rule. And this isn't the first time that this has happened with them either.

My suggestion people? KEEP AWAY FROM SCAN. They will try and screw you over. (And yes, I have tried to go to trading standards, who basically came back with "yup, they can choose to do that if they want, and yes, they can choose their own arbitrary amount")

Old 06-10-10, 12:27 PM

You bought it back in January and you expect an equal dollar replacement now? Isn't it under warranty with the manufacturer? Most routers have at least a one year warranty.

3DMark11 - P10045 | X3680
Old 06-10-10, 12:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to mayhem
If he paying £120 then he should be given back some thing of the same or equal value or refund if the item cannot be fixed.

Go to trading standards ...

This is not USA were you can get away with murder the laws are different.
Old 06-10-10, 02:22 PM
OC3D Elite

i have found scan better at returning items when you go instore,i no most people dont live near it but all my items get replaced within 20min of being there.

but yes they wont give you the same amaount back due to how old the prodcut is,i took my 4890 back 14mnths and it was £160ish old and they gave me a 5770
Old 06-10-10, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post

If he paying £120 then he should be given back some thing of the same or equal value or refund if the item cannot be fixed.

Go to trading standards ...

This is not USA were you can get away with murder the laws are different.
And this is why you pay more than us for the same things. I'd totally expect a manufacturer to honor a warranty, but how long is a reseller supposed to support things? This is an honest question, not trying to start an argument.

IMO, as long as an item isn't DOA, the reseller has met their obligation. Hell, depending on the brand of the item, you will probably get a replacement faster (and with less headaches and no need to deal with trading standards) from the manufacturer than dealing with the reseller.

3DMark11 - P10045 | X3680
Old 06-10-10, 02:58 PM
OC3D Elite

If the seller doesn't have it in stock, they should refund the money (the full amount) as far as I know. I heard this going on at microdirect a couple of years back, and ended up with the guy taking them to the small claims court (I don't know the outcome). I had a 5970 go wrong and ebuyer refunded the whole value (as they sent me a DOA card in return), so I think the same applies.

This isn't insurance, its warrantee, so you should get the money back . Have a look at the distance seller laws and if you find anything relevant quote it to them.

i7 3930K 4.5GHz -EK Supreme HF- Rampage IV Extreme EK Blocks - 32GB 1600MHz RAM - 680GTX SLI Koolance Blocks - Creative Titanium Pro - TJ07B-W - TCubed BigNG - 240GB SSD - 3TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 06-10-10, 08:23 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo View Post

If the seller doesn't have it in stock, they should refund the money (the full amount) as far as I know. I heard this going on at microdirect a couple of years back, and ended up with the guy taking them to the small claims court (I don't know the outcome). I had a 5970 go wrong and ebuyer refunded the whole value (as they sent me a DOA card in return), so I think the same applies.

This isn't insurance, its warrantee, so you should get the money back . Have a look at the distance seller laws and if you find anything relevant quote it to them.
Trading Standards basically said "tough titties, they are within their rights to refund you as much as they like "for benefit of use".

-.-
Old 12-10-10, 09:26 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to mayhem
hmm goto http://www.consumerrightsexpert.co.uk/

Consumer Direct for advice on 08454 04 05 06.

have a good read ...
Old 12-10-10, 10:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to F-alienware
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermaniac View Post

Scan have gone REALLY downhill lately.
No sh*t Sherlock !

I won't even go into how crappy they treated me because I'd be here all day. But yes, it seems they're pinching the pennies and becoming rather arrogant.

I'd like to see them bloody come here and answer for their crimes.
Old 12-10-10, 10:46 AM

Send a message via MSN to F-alienware
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDFTW View Post

but yes they wont give you the same amaount back due to how old the prodcut is,i took my 4890 back 14mnths and it was £160ish old and they gave me a 5770
And that's out of order IMO. A 5770 can just about keep DX9/10 pace with a 4870. The 4890 was a much more powerful DX9/10 card.

Edit. Oh cack it.. Can a mod please put this post into my previous one and delete this one? Thanks.