Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 06-10-10, 03:50 AM
OC3D Elite

this is a mix between sound card and mobo issue. alright so i have a ASUS crosshair formula III mobo and as you may know it has a supreme FX sound card separate. i have been all over the internet and i cant find a single person who can confirm whether or not you can replace the sound card with a different one. some say you cant others say you can but no one has tried, or has proof. i want to replace the sound card with a ASUS essence stereo sound card, but i dont want to spend the money, find out its not compatible, then RMA it. has any one tried this or have confirmed proof that it does work.

Intel Nvidia rig

Old 06-10-10, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING_OF_SAND View Post

this is a mix between sound card and mobo issue. alright so i have a ASUS crosshair formula III mobo and as you may know it has a supreme FX sound card separate. i have been all over the internet and i cant find a single person who can confirm whether or not you can replace the sound card with a different one. some say you cant others say you can but no one has tried, or has proof. i want to replace the sound card with a ASUS essence stereo sound card, but i dont want to spend the money, find out its not compatible, then RMA it. has any one tried this or have confirmed proof that it does work.
Of course it will work, you will just need to uninstall your old X-Fi drivers before you put the new Asus card in.

[Corsair] 8 GB XMS3 DDR3 1600 MHz / [Diamond] 6950 2 GB GDDR5 (850/1450) / [XION] 600w

[Cooler Master] Thermo Regulator (Elite 341 Mod) / [HP] w2408 24" (1920x1200) / [Realtek] ALC889

[Microsoft] Windows 7 x64
Old 06-10-10, 04:06 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rmal K1ng View Post

Of course it will work, you will just need to uninstall your old X-Fi drivers before you put the new Asus card in.
yea see i have heard that before. BTW i am talking about using the same pci-e/x1 the original sound card is in. some people say that slot will only work with that particular card, and some say "thats not true."

Intel Nvidia rig

Old 06-10-10, 06:49 AM
OC3D Elite

bumb

Intel Nvidia rig

Old 06-10-10, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Not sure about the PCI-E slot it is in, though I reckon it'll probably work. I'm running the onboard card alongside an X-Fi xtremegamer and they play together just fine. All you have to do is swap default device in the windows sound control panel.
Old 06-10-10, 09:56 AM
OC3D Elite

yea ill have to give it a try. my local frys electronics has the ASUS essence, so i may pick one up and see.

Intel Nvidia rig

Old 07-10-10, 04:56 AM
OC3D Elite

can anyone confirm Th3rmal K1ng?

Intel Nvidia rig

Old 07-10-10, 02:38 PM
OC3D Elite

it will work,why wouldent it i mean its not a locked pci lane is it?

is there not another lane anyway,but get all the drivers off there by doing a driver sweeep
Old 07-10-10, 04:51 PM
OC3D Elite

well i have the asus striker extreme and the asus rampage II extreme and they both use the sumpremefx card and i can tell you that you cant use any other card in the same slot, well i couldnt anyways.

Rig Gallery | My Setup | Other Builds
Old 07-10-10, 08:36 PM
OC3D Elite

i think it is a locked PCI lane, that is what i want to so for sure. some say its locked others say it isnt. and as Alicarve said it didnt work for him so i dont know if it will for me. also i could put my sound card in another lane but that would make me lose room for crossfire.

Intel Nvidia rig