Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 24-09-10, 05:53 PM
KapteinFruit KapteinFruit is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 378
So after I read some thread that was asking what setup he should get and he listed an Xenon under the 1156 build, and I was surprised because I didn't know 1156 had Xenon processors and an user said it had HT. (Which that model, X3430, did not have.) And that was a downer, but then I Google'd some and noticed the X3440 and above had HT and they're dirt cheap! The X3440 costs the same as an i5-760 so it seems like a bargain!

So my question is: Should I get it? I currently have an i5-750. I've been wanting to get HT for a while, but the LGA1156 i7's are pretty expensive so I've never bothered to buy one. So what do you think? And is Xenons that much better? I heard they're a lot more reliable then the normal processors like the i5's/i7's because they're used in servers which means they're generally better over clockers. Is that true?

Oh, and we all know that if you say you got an Xenon your E-penis will grow three extra miles!

__________________
sig 3x too tall sorry [management]



Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24-09-10, 06:22 PM
tinytomlogan's Avatar
tinytomlogan tinytomlogan is online now
The Guvnor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TTL Towers
Posts: 15,726
Xeons used to be better clockers, but from the ones Ive has since the end of 775 have just been cooler, not better clockers.

The Hexcore CPU's are 130w tdp the Xeon versions are 95w tdp (but only just about get to 4ghz)

So if its HT you want and they have them it seems like a good buy, just dont bank on getting a WR cpu or something dude.
__________________

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW


Get along or run along. Your choice
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24-09-10, 07:22 PM
KapteinFruit KapteinFruit is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

Xeons used to be better clockers, but from the ones Ive has since the end of 775 have just been cooler, not better clockers.

The Hexcore CPU's are 130w tdp the Xeon versions are 95w tdp (but only just about get to 4ghz)

So if its HT you want and they have them it seems like a good buy, just dont bank on getting a WR cpu or something dude.
What do you mean with a WR CPU? The CPU's I've looked at are brand new. I think the reason the Xeon's are so cheap (The X3400 Xeon's in Norway.) is because most "gamers" don't know about them so there's not a big demand for them which results in a lower price. Things here are over priced like crazy as long as it sells. So you think I will only barely be able to hit 4GHz because it's a 95W CPU? (My i5-750 is a 95W CPU and I'm currently at 4,11GHz stable.) And hyper threading is very tempting and that's the main reason I want it.

I really want the X3440. Simple as that. So do you think I should go for it? Well, you said yes if I wanted HT, but overall, do you think it will be a good purchase?
__________________
sig 3x too tall sorry [management]



Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24-09-10, 07:24 PM
hmmblah's Avatar
hmmblah hmmblah is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapteinFruit View Post

What do you mean with a WR CPU? The CPU's I've looked at are brand new. I think the reason the Xeon's are so cheap (The X3400 Xeon's in Norway.) is because most "gamers" don't know about them so there's not a big demand for them which results in a lower price. Things here are over priced like crazy as long as it sells. So you think I will only barely be able to hit 4GHz because it's a 95W CPU? (My i5-750 is a 95W CPU and I'm currently at 4,11GHz stable.) And hyper threading is very tempting and that's the main reason I want it.

I really want the X3440. Simple as that. So do you think I should go for it? Well, you said yes if I wanted HT, but overall, do you think it will be a good purchase?
WR = World Record. In other words, don't expect the Xeon to clock as well (high) as the i7's.
__________________
i7 930 | GA-X58A-UD3R | GTX680 | 6GB DDR3 | 250GB 840 Pro SSD



3DMark11 - P10045 | X3680
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24-09-10, 07:30 PM
KapteinFruit KapteinFruit is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmblah View Post

WR = World Record. In other words, don't expect the Xeon to clock as well (high) as the i7's.
Oh, I see. How come? But that wouldn't really stop me anyways.
__________________
sig 3x too tall sorry [management]



Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24-09-10, 07:41 PM
hmmblah's Avatar
hmmblah hmmblah is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapteinFruit View Post

Oh, I see. How come? But that wouldn't really stop me anyways.
Just the way they are made I'd assume. The process is different judging by the different TDP. I've never tried clocking a Xeon before, they just run in my servers so I can't really say. Tom said they don't clock as well based on his experience with them. That's enough for me.
__________________
i7 930 | GA-X58A-UD3R | GTX680 | 6GB DDR3 | 250GB 840 Pro SSD



3DMark11 - P10045 | X3680
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24-09-10, 10:57 PM
WC Annihilus WC Annihilus is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,057
Send a message via AIM to WC Annihilus Send a message via MSN to WC Annihilus
For one thing, it's Xeon mate, not Xenon. For another, do you do anything that warrants HT? If we're just talking about gaming or the like, then it would be pretty worthless.
__________________
Core i5 750 3.8GHz@1.3v under OCZ Vendetta 2

MSI P55-GD65

3x Kingston X25-V RAID0

2x Evga 9600GT SSC SLI

G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3-1600

Corsair VX550w, Ghettoed Antec Super Lanboy

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24-09-10, 11:40 PM
AMDFTW AMDFTW is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 4,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC Annihilus View Post

For one thing, it's Xeon mate, not Xenon. For another, do you do anything that warrants HT? If we're just talking about gaming or the like, then it would be pretty worthless.
bit pedantic fella especialy as he knew what he meant,and i am sure hyperthreading does help in games
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25-09-10, 01:53 AM
WC Annihilus WC Annihilus is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,057
Send a message via AIM to WC Annihilus Send a message via MSN to WC Annihilus
I just like things to be correct. If I came off as an ass, I apologize. Now in regards to HT and games, every test I recall seeing showed it did nothing and even hurt performance. I'll admit it's been a while since I've checked that, so if that's changed, good times are had. I just recall that very few games utilized more than 4, or even 2, threads/cores and that really HT mainly benefited encoding and the like. Pretty much the reason why in the previous 775 generation the dual cores were much more highly recommended for gamers.
__________________
Core i5 750 3.8GHz@1.3v under OCZ Vendetta 2

MSI P55-GD65

3x Kingston X25-V RAID0

2x Evga 9600GT SSC SLI

G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3-1600

Corsair VX550w, Ghettoed Antec Super Lanboy

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 25-09-10, 02:20 AM
AMDFTW AMDFTW is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 4,608
i think HT has come along way since say P4's
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT. The time now is 04:15 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.