Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 24-09-10, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

So after I read some thread that was asking what setup he should get and he listed an Xenon under the 1156 build, and I was surprised because I didn't know 1156 had Xenon processors and an user said it had HT. (Which that model, X3430, did not have.) And that was a downer, but then I Google'd some and noticed the X3440 and above had HT and they're dirt cheap! The X3440 costs the same as an i5-760 so it seems like a bargain!

So my question is: Should I get it? I currently have an i5-750. I've been wanting to get HT for a while, but the LGA1156 i7's are pretty expensive so I've never bothered to buy one. So what do you think? And is Xenons that much better? I heard they're a lot more reliable then the normal processors like the i5's/i7's because they're used in servers which means they're generally better over clockers. Is that true?

Oh, and we all know that if you say you got an Xenon your E-penis will grow three extra miles!

Old 24-09-10, 06:22 PM
The Guvnor

Xeons used to be better clockers, but from the ones Ive has since the end of 775 have just been cooler, not better clockers.

The Hexcore CPU's are 130w tdp the Xeon versions are 95w tdp (but only just about get to 4ghz)

So if its HT you want and they have them it seems like a good buy, just dont bank on getting a WR cpu or something dude.

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 24-09-10, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

Xeons used to be better clockers, but from the ones Ive has since the end of 775 have just been cooler, not better clockers.

The Hexcore CPU's are 130w tdp the Xeon versions are 95w tdp (but only just about get to 4ghz)

So if its HT you want and they have them it seems like a good buy, just dont bank on getting a WR cpu or something dude.
What do you mean with a WR CPU? The CPU's I've looked at are brand new. I think the reason the Xeon's are so cheap (The X3400 Xeon's in Norway.) is because most "gamers" don't know about them so there's not a big demand for them which results in a lower price. Things here are over priced like crazy as long as it sells. So you think I will only barely be able to hit 4GHz because it's a 95W CPU? (My i5-750 is a 95W CPU and I'm currently at 4,11GHz stable.) And hyper threading is very tempting and that's the main reason I want it.

I really want the X3440. Simple as that. So do you think I should go for it? Well, you said yes if I wanted HT, but overall, do you think it will be a good purchase?

Old 24-09-10, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapteinFruit View Post

What do you mean with a WR CPU? The CPU's I've looked at are brand new. I think the reason the Xeon's are so cheap (The X3400 Xeon's in Norway.) is because most "gamers" don't know about them so there's not a big demand for them which results in a lower price. Things here are over priced like crazy as long as it sells. So you think I will only barely be able to hit 4GHz because it's a 95W CPU? (My i5-750 is a 95W CPU and I'm currently at 4,11GHz stable.) And hyper threading is very tempting and that's the main reason I want it.

I really want the X3440. Simple as that. So do you think I should go for it? Well, you said yes if I wanted HT, but overall, do you think it will be a good purchase?
WR = World Record. In other words, don't expect the Xeon to clock as well (high) as the i7's.

3DMark11 - P10045 | X3680
Old 24-09-10, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmblah View Post

WR = World Record. In other words, don't expect the Xeon to clock as well (high) as the i7's.
Oh, I see. How come? But that wouldn't really stop me anyways.

Old 24-09-10, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapteinFruit View Post

Oh, I see. How come? But that wouldn't really stop me anyways.
Just the way they are made I'd assume. The process is different judging by the different TDP. I've never tried clocking a Xeon before, they just run in my servers so I can't really say. Tom said they don't clock as well based on his experience with them. That's enough for me.

3DMark11 - P10045 | X3680
Old 24-09-10, 10:57 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to WC Annihilus Send a message via MSN to WC Annihilus
For one thing, it's Xeon mate, not Xenon. For another, do you do anything that warrants HT? If we're just talking about gaming or the like, then it would be pretty worthless.

MSI P55-GD65

3x Kingston X25-V RAID0

2x Evga 9600GT SSC SLI

G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3-1600

Corsair VX550w, Ghettoed Antec Super Lanboy

Old 24-09-10, 11:40 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC Annihilus View Post

For one thing, it's Xeon mate, not Xenon. For another, do you do anything that warrants HT? If we're just talking about gaming or the like, then it would be pretty worthless.
bit pedantic fella especialy as he knew what he meant,and i am sure hyperthreading does help in games
Old 25-09-10, 01:53 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to WC Annihilus Send a message via MSN to WC Annihilus
I just like things to be correct. If I came off as an ass, I apologize. Now in regards to HT and games, every test I recall seeing showed it did nothing and even hurt performance. I'll admit it's been a while since I've checked that, so if that's changed, good times are had. I just recall that very few games utilized more than 4, or even 2, threads/cores and that really HT mainly benefited encoding and the like. Pretty much the reason why in the previous 775 generation the dual cores were much more highly recommended for gamers.

MSI P55-GD65

3x Kingston X25-V RAID0

2x Evga 9600GT SSC SLI

G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3-1600

Corsair VX550w, Ghettoed Antec Super Lanboy

Old 25-09-10, 02:20 AM
OC3D Elite

i think HT has come along way since say P4's