Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 12-09-10, 02:06 PM
OC3D Elite

Hey guys just want some input, i'm wondering whether it is worth upgrading my rampage II extreme to the III extreme. the only reason i am looking at upgrading it is because im thinking of getting an nvidia 470/480 or 485 if they are out by the time ive decided to take the plunge, i was also going to run my current gtx 260 as a physx card but as i currently use the pci slot for my wireless card i would be unable to put the gtx 260 into the other pcie x 16 lane and only other option would be the other lane but it says in the manual it would only run at pcie x1. if i was to upgrade to r3e then there wouldnt be that problem, I have a while to decide as i don't even have a case at the moment, as i'm waiting for the nzxt phantom to be released, i gave my old case to my brother a few weeks back expecting to recieve the phantom last week as thats what Overclockers.co.uk had the release date as and now they have put it back til the 29th

any help or suggestions would be of great help thanks

Rig Gallery | My Setup | Other Builds
Old 12-09-10, 02:34 PM
The Guvnor

Other than the pcie slot matey what else is on there you need? Do you need USB3, do you need sata6? As tbh thats the only real difference for the normal user. Unless your planning on world record over clocking youll not see any difference.

Id say stick with what you have for now tbh, and spend the money on a dirty great ethernet cable instead

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 12-09-10, 02:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

Other than the pcie slot matey what else is on there you need? Do you need USB3, do you need sata6? As tbh thats the only real difference for the normal user. Unless your planning on world record over clocking youll not see any difference.

Id say stick with what you have for now tbh, and spend the money on a dirty great ethernet cable instead
yeah would get the ethernet cable if i could but would get moaned at tried it already so have to stick with the wireless im afraid, only other thing that appeals to me with it is the sata6 but as i don't have anything that uses it yet not much use. Do you think that it would still perform better using the gtx 260 as a physx card running in pcie x1 with say a gtx 480 or just to have gtx 480 on its own?

Old 12-09-10, 02:45 PM
The Guvnor

It wont work correctly with pciex1 and I think the slots on the re2 are closed so it wont go in anyways mate.

If I was you Id just sli a pair of 460s anyways

Old 12-09-10, 03:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

If I was you Id just sli a pair of 460s anyways
ah fair enough, thanks for your help btw i have been thinking about sli'ing a pair of 460's but still the same issue with the wireless card lol. I may look into just getting a usb adapter, might have to be the way.

thinking of the asus ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP or would you reccomend one of the others?

Old 12-09-10, 06:04 PM
OC3D Elite

the asus engtx 460 directcu top does seem quite good but if i sli a pair of these would they be more powerful than a single 480 as the price is about the same if not cheaper for the 480, though i am concerned about the heat issues with 480. have also read that the gtx 460 disperses alot of its heat actually into the case rather than exhausting it out, so hmm decisions...

Old 12-09-10, 06:54 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicarve View Post

the asus engtx 460 directcu top does seem quite good but if i sli a pair of these would they be more powerful than a single 480 as the price is about the same if not cheaper for the 480, though i am concerned about the heat issues with 480. have also read that the gtx 460 disperses alot of its heat actually into the case rather than exhausting it out, so hmm decisions...
Yeah they will be quicker dude, cooler and quieter too got a 460 SLi review going live friday

Old 12-09-10, 07:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

Yeah they will be quicker dude, cooler and quieter too got a 460 SLi review going live friday
sweet, likely to get them nearer the time i get my case then, will be looking for your review on friday thanks again

Old 12-09-10, 07:18 PM
OC3D Elite

dont worry about centre fan issue,it wont be that much and its not actualy that bad,i can feel some coming out the back,and none of my temps have gone up
Old 12-09-10, 07:36 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDFTW View Post

dont worry about centre fan issue,it wont be that much and its not actualy that bad,i can feel some coming out the back,and none of my temps have gone up
thats good to know then, no worries there then