Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 25-08-10, 08:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to F-alienware

+

+

= Quadfire.

Yes yes yes I know it's not all that, but expect a full rundown and benchmarks. Have ATI improved it since the dawn? We shall find out. Either way I get a stunning lovely mobo and the mobo was £49. It also supports 140w and is spaced and laid out better than the Asrock. So if quadfire blows (but itll be fun playing with) then I shall put that Sapphire in here

Diablo. Weren't you running twin 5970s? how does it scale mate? The 3870x2 is old but I tell you, it's bloody good in games. Can hardly tell the difference between that and my Xfire 5770 in Fallout 3 !

Old 25-08-10, 09:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Quadfire can be f***ing awful mate. I've made a switch on the jumper on my mobo to disable the 2nd 5970 easily. It scales well on crysis (like 90-100fps with all the beans) and on most games not on eyefinity resolution (except fallout 3, seems to be random slowdown). Most of the time if you are on one screen it is OK, three screens is always slower.

To cut short my ramblings, there may be occasional slowdown on some games, but the fact you are getting I'd say 60% more frames is compensation. Bethsoft games (oblivion and fallout 3, especially the latter) doe not like quadfire.

i7 3930K 4.5GHz -EK Supreme HF- Rampage IV Extreme EK Blocks - 32GB 1600MHz RAM - 680GTX SLI Koolance Blocks - Creative Titanium Pro - TJ07B-W - TCubed BigNG - 240GB SSD - 3TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 25-08-10, 10:19 PM

OK cool. To be perfectly frank mate I am doing it because.. Because I am addicted to stupid crap like this

It's not going in here (points to main rig) so it's purely for benchmarks and the figures.

I had some bad luck recently and some spare cash left over that I won't be needing for what I wanted it for (motor bike, refused license) so I must play !

I've heard a lot of bad about quadfired 3870x2, but only in 2008. I mean, in 2008 crossfire was equally crap by all accounts. No one was using it and those who were did nothing but moan. And the reviewers all said you were far better off with a single card etc.

Even the 3870x2 got poor results on release and was peed on by the 8800 ultra. However, I own both cards and I tell you man, in 2010 it's a completely different story. the x2 slaughters the 8800 ultra. This is obviously purely down to time served on the drivers.

I have the second 3870x2 sold already to a mate (the one I literally just got) as he was watching it but it was up for £70. I sent the guy a message saying I'd offer £50 but no more as I already got a Sapphire for that and he accepted. So my mate is kinda peed.

The board? Well, it'll be the best Crossfire AM2+ board in my house. So if quadfire bores me or I whack out the benchmarks and decide to rid? then it will go straight in here in place of this Asrock as it supports up to about 160w. And the brick wall I am hitting in here (again points to rig) is down to that. As soon as I reach 138w TDP my machine becomes terrible unstable and reboots randomly. I have managed to push the 940 to 3.4ghz with a TDP of 137w but that's it. Even if I drop the voltage I still read 138 before it shuts down.

I am now idling at 31c (rifle fans and shrouds) so I should easily get to 3.8ghz if this board had solid caps and better VRMS.
Old 25-08-10, 10:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah, its great for benchies, and I know that addiction. Like I bought the 9800GT to see if I could physx, eyefinity and xfire (no). So now that sits with a ghetto modded 280GTX in my storage server. I've also reclaimed a D2X which may well go into the storage rig for the optical output.

The driver support for crossfire is a lot better, but its like that on both teams to be honest. The board should get you some decent clocks at least, which always makes me happy. I tend to go for the most expensive motherboards, as they have the best power regulators, then buy the cheapest CPU.

The temps are really pretty good, so I reckon you might even see 4.0 if you are careful. I've not had the time to clock my athlon much, its sitting at 3.4, from 3, but at stock volts. I'd be interested in how the quadfire works for you, as the drivers are a lot more mature for that card. Sorry to hear about the motorbike license

i7 3930K 4.5GHz -EK Supreme HF- Rampage IV Extreme EK Blocks - 32GB 1600MHz RAM - 680GTX SLI Koolance Blocks - Creative Titanium Pro - TJ07B-W - TCubed BigNG - 240GB SSD - 3TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 25-08-10, 11:13 PM

License was probably for the best mate tbh.

I do have one more question... How far apart are your 5970s? Basically when I tried to Crossfire in my Crosshair (SLI) the bridge wasn't long enough. I'm worried the ones I have may not reach, but they all look the same

Weird. I mean I have about 20 bridges but they're all identical.. I'm gonna need to flash the bios and reinstall 7, but I reakon I should hit some nice marks. I'll obs do single card marks then with both, with a few FRAPS benchies thrown in for good measure
Old 25-08-10, 11:39 PM
OC3D Elite

I had mine next door to one anoher (i.e. no free slot), but used a little rubber block to space them (about 0.7cm of air between the fans), which brought the temperatures on the primary card down from 90+ to 70 on load. As the cards are over a foot long, the bending force on them wasn't much. After I got the new crosshair, which came with an extra long Xfire bridge there is now a double slot between them, which hasn't done much for the temps, but stops me worrying about the bending. TBH I reckon the slight force on them would be worth it for the 25C reduction in temps.

I know what you mean with the bridges, at least SLI bridges were long, but the ATI ones are rubbish. If you have something small (.5cm cube) to put between them, right at the end of the card, I reckon that would do.

Always look on the bright side, at least you won't die in a horrific motorbike accident now. The upgrade addiction is a lot safer than many other addictions as well (I can attest to that).

Old 25-08-10, 11:42 PM

Yeah that's why it was probably for the best hahaha ! I *would* have stacked it. Not if but when

Man, I hope I don't get stuck looking for a bloody bridge that's long enough. TBH Sapphire should give you one that fits their board layout. My Asrock they are literally right next to one another but with the new Rads they have holes at the end to intake. The Sapphire is excellent for Crossfiring the 3870x2 because I will have a full slot of space between the two, but I'm terrified none of my bridges are going to work.
Old 25-08-10, 11:50 PM
OC3D Elite

I'm surprised that one isn't supplied. I'd send you one of mine, but alas I'm using my only long one. The air intakes at the end don't actually take enough air in really. Try using it without a bridge, but fleabay may well have the answer. Hadn't noticed the 2 slots between the cards on that board...guess I'm getting tired :\

Old 26-08-10, 09:11 AM

Cheapest one is a tenner. Jesus.

Ah well, will hold me back for a while but I'll get there in the end
Old 26-08-10, 11:18 AM
OC3D Elite

You could also try writing to sapphire, you may get lucky, as their service is generally held to be alright.