Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Storage Mediums

Old 13-08-10, 07:31 PM

Send a message via MSN to F-alienware
So today I had some bummy news and decided to get something for the PC. I'm still very wary of the 1055T and want a retail packaged 95w, so I shall hold off for a minute. Any way, was poking around and found the Patriot PS-100 64gb for £70. Wow, too good to be true? almost.

I looked up some reviews and when the drive was released it was slated. It was fast on read and write, but the random speeds were terrible. It also hates Jmicron SATA controllers (which thankfully I don't have because my friend's 790i has one and it was a nightmare to get working).

So before I ordered it I sauntered off to Patriot's site to do some digging. A bios was released on the 29th July 2010 that fixes the random speeds, adds TRIM and basically sorts the drive completely.

So pleased as punch Very cheap SSD with cracking performance for half of what I paid for my X32 !

Old 13-08-10, 07:42 PM
OC3D Elite

Nicely done mate.
Old 13-08-10, 07:48 PM
OC3D Elite

nice i was lookin for a nice wee ssd to see what kinda performance gains i would get

Intel Core i7 @ 4ghz and rising!

Noctua NH-D14 - Samsung F3 1TB - Asus P6X58D Premium - 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600

Zotac GTX580 at 895/1790/4200 @ 1030v (1000mv stock @ 772 core) - Corsair TX850 - Corsair 700D

Old 13-08-10, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestepster View Post

nice i was lookin for a nice wee ssd to see what kinda performance gains i would get
Have a pokesee for it. Patriot PS-100 64gb. I mean really, £70 is cheaper than the X25V and 33% bigger. Just make sure you flash up the bios, but don't worry about faffin it 'cos on the Patriot website it gives you the info on RMA if you screw it up

The page you need for that is here -

http://patriotmemory.com/support/dri...jsp?source=914

And the manual for the flash is here -

http://patriotmemory.com/software/Ap...mory_3_004.pdf

Fixes are as follows...

Notes:

Firmware update #3.004

* Improved power cycling during read/write cycles

* MBR Disabled

Firmware update #3.000

* Improved random read performance

* Improved random write performance

* Upgraded channel management

So as you can see from the last two updates they have pretty much taken care of every fault with the drive. TRIM was added on bios 2.004.

MAN I do my research before buying anything But this time I soooo nearly got it without doing my homework

Meh ! can't wait to get it and fill it up with games haha !

Stepy. If you wanted to know what performance gain? Watch this. 55 seconds from power button to browsing the web, and five seconds of that was waiting for the network to pick up the wireless.

Honestly man, SSD FTW. I had to go skint for a month to get my Extreme but man oh man, made the biggest difference to speed than any upgrade I have ever bought.
Old 13-08-10, 08:49 PM
OC3D Elite

thought you were going to show the bios you were given then
Biostar Tpower I55, I5 750 @ 4.2Ghz, 4GB Kingston DDR3, Custom water loop - Thermochill PA120.3, Heatkiller 3.0 LC, Laing DDC Ultra, XSPC res top, XSPC white hose, Asus 5870, Antec Quattro 1000, Lian Li PC-X2000, Win7 ultimate.

Old 13-08-10, 09:02 PM
OC3D Elite

cheers for the heads up mate ill look into the drive

Intel Core i7 @ 4ghz and rising!

Noctua NH-D14 - Samsung F3 1TB - Asus P6X58D Premium - 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600

Zotac GTX580 at 895/1790/4200 @ 1030v (1000mv stock @ 772 core) - Corsair TX850 - Corsair 700D

Old 13-08-10, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasher View Post

thought you were going to show the bios you were given then
hehe nah. That vid was from June, hence the weaker overclock because it was so damn hot

Edit in for tidyness

I was poking around last night and I found a really cool toy. I don't have a mount for my new SSD that's coming on Monday and the one I am using is nasty. Couple of metal rails. So, after poking around for hours I found this thing.#

Twin drive, twin sockets single power socket. Supports RAID and all sorts and is how swappable too. Only cost me £16. The downside is that Patriot do not export goods other than memory or SSD to the UK so I have had to get a mate out there to buy it and send it over for me
Old 16-08-10, 06:29 PM

I am highly interested in how this drive performs...please keep updated...
Old 16-08-10, 06:45 PM

Will do for sure mate

The 3.004 bios was only released on the 11th of August and already people are reporting massive differences. The worst bench I saw was 199/45. If you consider that the Intel X25v is 40gb and does 170/40 and costs £25 more.. No brainer. 64gb SSD for £70 that at worst goes faster than the V and at best slaughters it.

It's coming tomorrow (apparently) and I have ordered a cable extension kit for my Temjin so hopefully I should know within a couple of days. However, I do know that a build into a case can throw up some problems so I may need to buy more cables ETC.

Rest assured you shall get the full scoop though

I wouldn't wait around for me however because I saw a review on OCUK today that has let the cat out of the bag (IE - fix this drive with the brand new bios). I think once a few people notice that they won't last long.
Old 17-08-10, 12:59 PM

Excuse me for a moment chaps...

Hahahahahaha. Aha, ahahahahahaha. Ahahahahahahahahahaha.

So it arrived. Bios flash made me quite frankly soil my kecks, as it takes AGES. Rebooted and ran ATTO and O.M.F.G.

It DECIMATES my Corsair Extreme series.

So, it will come as no surprise I have a smile on my piehole so big that it's touching my lugs.

Get one. Now. It offers over double the write performance of an Intel 25v (40gb) costs £25 less, is 20gb larger and reads faster than my Corsair Extreme.

Lolage, College.