Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 21-07-10, 09:52 AM
The Guvnor

OC3D Review: Asus VG236H 3D Vision Monitor

Want to make the leap to 3D but don't fancy limiting yourself to 1680? Asus have a solution for you with the VG236H

Continue Reading

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 21-07-10, 12:39 PM

If you get a 3D monitor like this, does everything have to be viewed in 3D all the time, or can you view games and such like a normal monitor if you want to give your eyes a rest or something?
Old 21-07-10, 01:27 PM
The Guvnor

You just hit the button on the 3D emitter and the whole system goes back to 2D mode.

Old 21-07-10, 04:30 PM

There is an old axiom that says 'seeing is believing' in this case very true, custom pc reviewed 3D vision a few months ago and give it a absolute NO they said it give you a headache after one hour of playing and the 3D effect wears out, so for me it is a absolute NO until the technology evolves to something more mature also I read a review in bit-tech that claimed that the FPS drop dramatically when using 3D vision so another downer, last week I went to CURRY’S and a sales person showed me a 3D movie clip on a 50’’ 3D plasma, to be honest it was very impressive but after a while the 3D effect did wear out, fact is the brain can only be tricked for a short time and all the current 3D products in the market are at the first stages of the evolution of the 3D technology.
Old 21-07-10, 05:53 PM
OC3D Crew

I kind of think it's proably something you just have to adjust to. You don't seem to hear complaints about 3D films, and Custom PC did bad mouth 3D vision, but I stand firm supporting it. Of course it might be weird and your aim might be off completely to begin with, yet this makes sense as when Tom explained how 3D works.

The normal 2D image only imitates 3D through depth perception in terms of the size of object in reference to the foreground. The 3D vision is different in the like real vision one eye effectively sees slightly more of one side of an object and the other eye vice versa, your brain then combines the images to give you the overall image perceiving 3D.

This is probably why it takes some getting used to as your brain will see the 3D of your room and then a second 3D image of different depth on the monitor, hence why it might get confused and lead to some people getting headaches or sometimes just poor aim.

Like patting your head while rubbing your stomach however, the brain can be taught to distinguish between simultaneous tasks affecting the same area of the brain.

Apache pilots effectively learn to look like a Chameleon looking at different images with each eye and still maintaining an overall picture without feeling sick or losing perception of depth.

I think with a little practice it would be easy to adjust to the change in picture and you'd soon be fragging people the same as always.

Of course there's the fact you can still just watch films (if you didn't want to game with them on) providing the 3D movie experience at home.

I myself have bought a 3D vision monitor in preparation for my pc I'm still building (seems like ages, tho I did start planning it in feb lol).

We'll see how I get on eventually.

Core i7 930 / Asus Rampage III Gene / Corsair HX850 / GTX460 448 Twin Frozr III / Noctua NH-D14
Old 21-07-10, 07:26 PM

hope you finish your pc soon like to know your honest opinion on 3D vision after having it for a few days and getting adjusted to it.
Old 21-07-10, 09:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to F-alienware
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='silenthill'
There is an old axiom that says 'seeing is believing' in this case very true, custom pc reviewed 3D vision a few months ago and give it a absolute NO they said it give you a headache after one hour of playing and the 3D effect wears out, so for me it is a absolute NO until the technology evolves to something more mature also I read a review in bit-tech that claimed that the FPS drop dramatically when using 3D vision so another downer, last week I went to CURRY’S and a sales person showed me a 3D movie clip on a 50’’ 3D plasma, to be honest it was very impressive but after a while the 3D effect did wear out, fact is the brain can only be tricked for a short time and all the current 3D products in the market are at the first stages of the evolution of the 3D technology.
3D vision is never going to catch on ever until it does away with those ridiculous f***ing glasses. The problem is that not every one can wear those. Take me for example, I suffer with motion sickness. I used a virtualboy for about ten minutes and threw up. The technology is just all wrong. I mean, look at Virtual Reality. Where the heck has that gone? It's gone because a huge lump of the people who tried it just couldn't live with it, it just isn't good for you.

What they need to do is create a proper depth of view screen that can do it properly without having to fool you. It's quite easily done, you just layer several LCDs over one another with no silver backing. You then create a movie or game in layers so that they have a viewpoint they can make into a vanishing point. Until that happens 3D is not 3D.

Nvidia have been wasting money on this crap for bloody years now. It's just good money after bad trying to invent something that just doesn't work as an idea. I DO NOT want to have to wear a stupid set of glasses on my head that are going to screw up my eyesight any more than it already is.

I can't even play handhelds because I spent too long on the Gameboy as a kid and it buggered my eyesight.
Old 22-07-10, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

I am looking for a bigger monitor. My Samsung SM206BW is starting to show its age. I have it with 4 or 5 years now and the colours arent as good as they were when I got it first. Also I want to game with a bigger monitor than my 20
Old 11-10-10, 01:47 PM

Hi there,

New member here. I am looking at getting the Asus to use with my Xbox 360, which is starting to get 3D games coming online, starting with call of duty in November.

I have heard that to get 120hz you need to connect via the DVI port, so would a hdmi to dvi connector work for this?

Also, I see that there is an IR transmitter which you connect to your pc, any ideas how this would work with the xbox?

Many thanks,

Cheeky
Old 11-10-10, 02:24 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekychappie View Post

Hi there,

New member here. I am looking at getting the Asus to use with my Xbox 360, which is starting to get 3D games coming online, starting with call of duty in November.

I have heard that to get 120hz you need to connect via the DVI port, so would a hdmi to dvi connector work for this?

Also, I see that there is an IR transmitter which you connect to your pc, any ideas how this would work with the xbox?

Many thanks,

Cheeky
Really not sure about xbox specifics yet tbh dude, untill they release detailed information we couldnt answer without it being a guess, sorry fella