Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 16-07-10, 09:29 AM
The Guvnor

OC3D Review: nVidia GeForce GTX 460 768MB GDDR5 Review

At last, nVidia have brought DirectX 11 to the masses! Or have they?

Continue Reading

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 16-07-10, 09:50 AM
OC3D Crew

Best thing I've seen NVidia do all year imo. If I were looking to upgrade whilst staying in the green camp, this is the obvious choice. Will you be getting in a 1GB version to test and compare as well?

Core i7 930 / Asus Rampage III Gene / Corsair HX850 / GTX460 448 Twin Frozr III / Noctua NH-D14
Old 16-07-10, 09:52 AM
The Guvnor

I would have thought we would yes matey, but Ive got nothing secured as we speak. Will deffo happen soon though.

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 16-07-10, 09:55 AM

Great review, well done Mul, great price too from CPL at scan and overclockers the cheapest is 152£ seams that nvidia have come up with actually something worth buying but ATI will definitely bring their prices down on certain cards to compete with this card so don’t be hasty guys.
Old 16-07-10, 09:56 AM
OC3D Crew

Awesome dude! Thanks very much

Core i7 930 / Asus Rampage III Gene / Corsair HX850 / GTX460 448 Twin Frozr III / Noctua NH-D14
Old 16-07-10, 09:59 AM
OC3D Elite

this is definitely of massive interest to me on both fronts (thanks to tom and mul for the folding@home bit) does 10k overclocked on an OEM card im lookin at the asus with the volt mod for a bigger overclock and gettin 2 of them to run sli in games when i eventually turn off f@h for some gamin, another thing i was thinkin what was the power consumption of the cards when they were overclocked i was reading some pretty high numbers on other sites and it would definately need a new psu if its true

would also love to see how these compare to a gtx480 when they are in sli

once again guys amazing review and has basically cemented my decision on buying 2 of these

EDIT: there is 2 brands of this card i was reading on futuremark u might want to avoid the palit and gainward ones (palit owns gainward?) they are what seems to be strangly shipping without ANY VRM heatsinks?
Old 16-07-10, 10:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to F-alienware
Hurrah, good show !

It's about time (I mean Nvidia, not OC3D)

EDIT. Where are my manners today?

Thanks Mul, and thanks to Tom and OC3D for making this happen. I really look forward to the reviews on here (especially when Bryan is beating the crap out of a graphics card, takes me right back to our 9800/5950 rival days )
Old 16-07-10, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='thestepster'

EDIT: there is 2 brands of this card i was reading on futuremark u might want to avoid the palit and gainward ones (palit owns gainward?) they are what seems to be strangly shipping without ANY VRM heatsinks?
Notice at the time of release they were the cheapest. They are obviously designed for out of the box users who do not intend to overclock them at all and thus, perfectly adequate. No such thing as a free lunch, as they say, and peformance will cost you.

That said, even out of the box these are good enough.
Old 16-07-10, 10:58 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='AlienALX'
Notice at the time of release they were the cheapest. They are obviously designed for out of the box users who do not intend to overclock them at all and thus, perfectly adequate. No such thing as a free lunch, as they say, and peformance will cost you.

That said, even out of the box these are good enough.
only way that argument is valid is if the OEM ones dont ship with them either and not to mention the most expencive one at £210 is an overclocked gainward one

Intel Core i7 @ 4ghz and rising!

Noctua NH-D14 - Samsung F3 1TB - Asus P6X58D Premium - 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600

Zotac GTX580 at 895/1790/4200 @ 1030v (1000mv stock @ 772 core) - Corsair TX850 - Corsair 700D

Old 16-07-10, 11:03 AM

Well if the card is not a reference cooler then tbh Gainward and Palit can pretty much do what they want. They're obviously buying 'vanilla' boards and then whacking on coolers.

I'm not a big fan of Palit any way. They did a version of the 9800GT with a tiny flower cooler and pathetic ram coolers. Again, this is all fine if you intend to keep them at stock but that's where it ends.

IMO the best looking one for playing around with is the Asus. It doesn't look the nicest but it has heatpipes poking out and everything. Looks the best for Overclocking.

Also to mention something pointed out by Mul...

"Due to logistical issues with our original GTX 460 supplier, we had to request a nVidia Reference GTX 460 sample instead. While this is not really an issue, I must warn that there are no pretty photographs of decorated packaging or accessory sets "

To be completely honest mate I like the virgin reference cards. I think they look more mean. Once a company starts putting stickers on them they lose all their charm hehe. Mind you, I'm a bit of a Ratrod flat black man myself, so that may be why. But when the 5770 released I tried everything to get the reference plain ones with the ATI logo on the fan. At least that way you're not paying for some dumb sticker with a semi clad woman accross it lol.