Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Rig Gallery

Old 13-06-10, 11:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to F-alienware
Updated pics.

As a friend of mine once said to me "dude, your room is like a computer shop with a bed on top of it" .

On the left side of the room is the main machine I use for gaming.

And on the right my media PC. Well, it sort of started life as a media PC but is now becoming quite capable.

As every man knows there's nothing like loafing in bed. My ex display (arf arf) is a 22" Acer. So I use that for TV media and Fallout 3 when I can't be bothered to sit at this one.

I also realised today that my Silverstone MFP thingy was doing absolutely nothing in my black machine. I originally used it in there when I only had one PC. However due to me constantly fiddling around with the black one and some times knocking it unconcious I decided I should build something to stand in for it on a media/TV/Hifi level should it go wrong.

It's utterly horrible losing everything all in one swoop should you bugger something up. Funny, I never thought I would see the day where you could make a gaming machine do anything other than gaming and remain stable. How things progress eh?

Today was also the first time I have ever used the beautiful remote control that comes with the Silverstone.

I got some updated pics of the insides today when switching out the Silverstone.

Black one.

Silver one.

Old 14-06-10, 03:08 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to FragTek Send a message via MSN to FragTek Send a message via Yahoo to FragTek
Alienware? Meh....
Old 14-06-10, 04:04 AM
OC3D Elite

Apart from your room layout that i rather like (need a bigger desk tho ), i completely agree with Frag there, and please dont say you brought them new?

But saying that i did pick an old style one up off ebay about 2 years ago (am2 4800+, 4 gig xms2, 7800GTX sli & 3x 250gb hdd's in raid 0) for around £70 inc delivery so i could use the parts as a system for a family member and and practice painting on the case (the date on these photo's was taken way after when it was painted).

The cases are utter crap to work with aswell.
-Need to fit-
Xspc Rasa | Phobya G-Changer 240 + 360 | Phobya dc12-400 | 7x Orange Xigmatek XLF 120mm
| Alphacool Copper fittings

Old 14-06-10, 11:36 AM

Both self builds.

It's amazing what you can find on Ebay UK at the moment. The PSU for example (the Alienware one) was £29.99 for a 80+ 750w.
Old 14-06-10, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='I Hunta x'

The cases are utter crap to work with aswell.
The predator 1 wasn't so good. The predator 2 however is completely different both inside and out. Instead of being designed to wrap around the Chieftec Dragon it was a completely new (and unique) design.
Old 14-06-10, 02:11 PM
OC3D Elite

Ive replaced a psu + mobo in a predator 2 (psu poped and took mobo out) and i still thought it was pretty crap to work with, realy do not like them at all. Give me 5 lian li/coolermaster towers to work on anyday instead of 1 more alienware tower.
-Need to fit-
Xspc Rasa | Phobya G-Changer 240 + 360 | Phobya dc12-400 | 7x Orange Xigmatek XLF 120mm
| Alphacool Copper fittings

Old 14-06-10, 02:12 PM

Personal preference I suppose

BTW I did spend an hour or so writing up a member review of the chassis and my general thoughts on Alienware past and present yesterday.

Sadly in hindsight it seems I was a bit too brutally honest in my writing and used a few naughty words to describe certain aspects. I highly doubt the review will make public reading.

However, in that review I expressed all of the strong points and weak points about the chassis and all of the good bits and bad bits.

As a summary? Well, they're certainly not the best chassis on the planet. They're also, however, not the worst. They do what you would expect from a decent case and cooling is acceptable.

The look of course comes down to personal preference. I love Art Deco and anything from that era. Nothing else looks like the Alienware chassis apart from knock offs of the Alienware chassis and I have 'reviewed' a good few of them in my time

So, with that said (and me being completely honest about how they're a love or hate thing) please let's not get into a big boring debate with everyone's opinion about how much they hate them.

As I say, I understand why people may not like them. So, with that said people should at least try to understand why some people do like them (and I'm not one of the many people whom I summed up in my review, I simply like the look and after a lot of testing have concluded that they're not the best but are by far not the worst either)
Old 14-06-10, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='FragTek'
Alienware? Meh....
+1
Old 15-06-10, 12:06 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='FragTek'
Alienware? Meh....
+1

I never liked AlienWare. Their products look really cheap.

You've got some pretty decent specs though. I would love to put another 5770 Vapor-X in my rig.
Old 15-06-10, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='killablade'
+1

I never liked AlienWare. Their products look really cheap.

You've got some pretty decent specs though. I would love to put another 5770 Vapor-X in my rig.
I agree totally they do look cheap. They don't feel it though. I mean they are afterall made by Chieftec and I have never met any one who has been into PC gaming for the last decade and not owned a dragon. At the time they were the only choice really.

As for the second 5770? Do it. My best purchases in recent years that really made me sit back and go "OMFG" was my second 5770 and the difference my SSD made. It takes an awful lot to make me sit up and pay attention because none of this new fangled stuff really makes a difference any more. But Crossfire and SSD made a MASSIVE difference. Infact the last time anything made me realise just how far PCs had come was when I got my Athy XP and 5950u years ago. Right around the time Doom 3 launched. Core 2 was awesome also (felt I should mention that )