Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 12-05-10, 08:52 AM
The Guvnor

OC3D Review: Asrock X58 Extreme3

Asrock return to the high-end fold with a X58 333 motherboard. Does it cut the mustard?

Continue Reading

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 12-05-10, 10:47 AM
OC3D Elite

What a excellent well thought out review.

I agree a floppy and IDE is a bit nuts. the ide i could live with just for moving across old stuff or to use some of the old 750 gigs i have lying around how ever the floppy . that got me scratching my head. Allso why do they have PS2 ports. they could have saved a few quid buy removing all this old gear.

I wasn't to fussed about placement of parts until you said about the small fan. oh dear me comes to mind here.

The sound OH MY OH MY OH MY .. squealing , electrical noise .. oh dear me a throw back to the early days of the first on board sound comes to mind. That is one hell of a major flaw esp since a hell of a lot of people now a days use on board sound. Something doesn't sound rite at all.

ASrock have all ways mixed old and new tech but if the old tech is a bad interference on the new tech then is it a worth while thing to do. All so i noted that the caps next to the ram slots are well to say the least unbelievably close to the ram slots does that cause any problems (just wondering). Ive seen ppl miss when placing ram in there slot and them caps look a little fragile. I could imagine them being ripped off by accident,

Ah well asrock nice try may be a ver 2 would be on the drawing boards pritty much straight away ....

p.s Love the Insta Boot if it works that well.
Old 12-05-10, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Yea the big performance thing that caught me off guard was the 3DMark Vantage scores. There must be some serious things screwed up there. My Q6700 at 3.5ghz easily gets to 30k on performance for CPU. Why would a better CPU get less? This mobo seems to be one to stay away from.

I do like that instant on feature though. That's pretty cool to get into Windows so fast.
Old 12-05-10, 04:03 PM
OC3D Elite

The 3D mark scores you get are probably physx enhanced, which won't be the case for these scores. Mine will only hit 35K or so standard. Also, floppy drive, welcome to the 1990s?

i7 3930K 4.5GHz -EK Supreme HF- Rampage IV Extreme EK Blocks - 32GB 1600MHz RAM - 680GTX SLI Koolance Blocks - Creative Titanium Pro - TJ07B-W - TCubed BigNG - 240GB SSD - 3TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 12-05-10, 05:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via MSN to BloomerzUK
Probably for people that still flash using floppy maybe?
Old 12-05-10, 06:52 PM

Hmm I have used this for about 3 weeks Just to give it a shot and be fair.Its ALOT better than i thought . BUT how true that it cant hold the OC's without CRAZY voltages.:0.. soall and all if they had a few Minor tweeks IE. Board layout ect and Updayed the bios WAY more often then they do. I would have givein it a shot. As it sits I just Orderd the RAMPAGE 3 EX. because if you can find that in stock you wouldnt want anything else..lol. Asrock could go along way if promted to and Tried alittle harder.
Old 12-05-10, 07:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='BloomerzUK'
Probably for people that still flash using floppy maybe?
Maybe, but I prefer flashing with USB drives, no worry about a skipped track or read error, which can happen on older FD. If they did a few tweaks with the layout, got rid of the legacy connectors, and maybe slashed the price it might be a better option. But with the P6T series around the price tag it seems just too much.

i7 3930K 4.5GHz -EK Supreme HF- Rampage IV Extreme EK Blocks - 32GB 1600MHz RAM - 680GTX SLI Koolance Blocks - Creative Titanium Pro - TJ07B-W - TCubed BigNG - 240GB SSD - 3TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 12-05-10, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Diablo'
The 3D mark scores you get are probably physx enhanced, which won't be the case for these scores. Mine will only hit 35K or so standard. Also, floppy drive, welcome to the 1990s?
What I was refering to was just the CPU score. Not the total score.
Old 12-05-10, 10:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Same, the CPU score is based on the physx score, which in your case is supplemented by the gpu having the physx offloaded. This is why the official benchmarks in the hall of fame don't have the physx enabled.