Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 09-05-10, 04:27 PM

New Watercooling Setup OK?

This isn't my first time watercooling, but its my first serious loop. I previously had cpu + Mobo loop with 1 double RAD res and pump. But Ive totally upgraded my system and with it I now need to upgrade my watercooling loop.

My new system:

Case - Lian Li PC-A77Fb

Motherboard - EVGA Classified

CPU - i7 920

GPU - MSI 5870

RAM - G.Skill Trident 6gb 2000Mhz "Perfect Storm"

Boot Drive - 3 x Velociraptor in RAID 0

Storage Drive - 1Tb Samsung SpinPoint F1

Ive got some of the components for my new loop from my previous build.

Currently have:

Black Ice GTX 240

Apogee GTZ

Swiftech 12V MCP355 Pump with acrylic top.

5870 EK block

Need to buy

A triple rad (any reccomendations, needs to fit in front)

EK full cover Chipset Block

All new Fittings and tubing

Resevoir.

For the fittings ive decided on Bitspower Matt Black compression fittings. a mixture of 45, 90 and straight fittings. I can find both the straight and 45 on caseking.de, but any idea where I can get the 90's?

Here is a picture of my old loop, which is a little messy, and what i plan, did a mock up on photoshop.

Let me know what you think, and changes that either need to be made or just might make it a little more efficient. Also is that pump enough?

Old 09-05-10, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure how that will work with the res really. Your better off if it just went blocks -> res -> pump -> blocks (and somewhere the rads lol). Just make sure the res is right before the pump.

Basically you shouldnt have the pump turned on without having water going through it, having the res just before the pump (and higher up tends to be better too) means the water goes straight to the pump and keeps it happy

Otherwise looking good, nice setup you have there!
Old 09-05-10, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

oh, and 90 degree black fittings here
Old 09-05-10, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Ducky Spud'
oh, and 90 degree black fittings here
Caseking do thoses, I was looking for the one with the compression fitting and 90 all in one. Or are they just the same thing as buying the two seperatly?

like this one Here
Old 09-05-10, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Ducky Spud'
Not sure how that will work with the res really. Your better off if it just went blocks -> res -> pump -> blocks (and somewhere the rads lol). Just make sure the res is right before the pump.

Basically you shouldnt have the pump turned on without having water going through it, having the res just before the pump (and higher up tends to be better too) means the water goes straight to the pump and keeps it happy

Otherwise looking good, nice setup you have there!
Ok, so if i moved the pump to the bottom would that solve it. then it goes: Pump > Blocks > Rads > Pump.

Old 10-05-10, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Yea, that loop would be better General rule is res before pump, but the rest of the order doesnt make much difference at all, just do whatever looks cleanest.

As for the fittings then, Im not sure, didnt realise you were getting compression fittings. If you cant find any, like you said you can always just stick a compression fitting onto the 90, easy
Old 10-05-10, 09:41 AM

Cool thanks for the help. Now just a question about fan direction. I was going to have the two rads as intaking cold air from outside the case, but that only leaves one fan as an outake... would it make more sense to have RAD 1 as an outake even though it wont be the coolest air going through it? I haven't got this case yet, so not sure if there's anywhere I could put additional outake fans... Its going to be a windowed side panel so no chance of mounting one there...
Old 13-07-10, 04:11 PM

looks good to me.