Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 31-03-10, 09:22 AM
The Guvnor

OC3D Review: Corsair Flash Padlock 2 8GB

Jim takes a look at the Corsair Flash Padlock 8gb drive with built in 256bit encryption.

Continue Reading

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 31-03-10, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Disappointing performance for the price, but that is to be expected I guess.

If you look at this review, they claim the stick is a lot less secure as the code (from 5 digits) can be guessed as many times as you like with a little dismantling, which I'm sure any serious thief would have no qualms in doing. Fortunately, the chances are your average joe who'll pick it up once dropped will have no idea how to do this. The images also show why the thing is so chunky - it's mostly the rubber casing for durability.
Old 09-04-10, 01:38 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to mayhem
10 million possible combination's. Take into account to hack it using a brute force method it would not take that long.

How ever a nice little draw back for you . In the other review corsair use resin to cover the pins to stop ppl getting to the memory. well i can tell you now that is easy to get around. They use the same method on the wii to stop ppl modding there firmware on the wii. Its not hard to get off at all.

They haven't fixed any problems at all from the last model they have just adopted their methods to suit their needs. that thing is as secure as a asda £1.99 belt. It looks good. It seems to fit, but as soon as you start using it, it will fail.

Its 5 keys not 10 - so they are lying and filling the user with bull.

Its doesn't have as many possible combination's as they say

the encryption is questionable to say the lest as the whole drive is unlocked not file by file.

The reset can be worked around by disconnection of the battery.

i love the proverbial bull these manifaures use to sell there products. Just give these USB Keys to the government and let them lose them on the trains as normal and lets see how long it takes for some one to pick one up and then attack's it and then sell's all you info onto to company's.

All so another note if the code like it says has a master is there a second master key that corsair has ... (a back door) ..

So a hardware hack would be some thing along the lines of

1) Pins 1,2,3,4,5 Are switches

2) Pin 6 is confirm (switch to the enter key)

3) a sensor to denote weather the red flashes or the green flashes. (red carry on / Green correct stop) A simple detection if there is a signal or not isnt hard to code up.

4) and a last connection to the negative on the battery to disconnect every 5 attempts to reset the drive.

5) total of 10 wires to a com port and on PC and a simple rite up of VB code to execute the commands in brute for mode staring from 00000 to 5555555555.

This would be a very simple circuit.

this thing reminds me of them tumble locks ppl have on there bikes because its about as effective as one. infant it would take you longer to decode a bike lock than one of those lol.

conclusion in reality . the product is not a effective solution to modern day problems at all. Its a cheap ineffective product that oky for the normal user but would pose a security risk if used in environments were secure data is of high importance. Personally i think the score is way to high and the price point is to high as well. (or do i just think out of the box)

No offence meant at the reviewer btw.
Old 09-04-10, 05:36 PM
The Guvnor

Mayhem did you actually read the review or just trying to look for a fault? Would have been quicker to read it than all that ^^

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice