Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 27-03-10, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stevej696
Racing sim computer

Hi guys im looking to build a PC which is going to be used purely for racing games. I want to build it into my current coolermaster 330 case but need a bit of guidance with hardware specs. I was looking to run a 22" HD TV with a native resolution of 1680 x 1050 via the HDMI cable so i ned a graphics card that powerful enough to cope with the demands but not too expensive any ideas?

This is what i was looking to get:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/190974

Also thinking of buying this core i5 bundle link is below and adding a graphics card to it.

http://www.cclonline.com/product-inf...urer_id=0&tid=

Any suggestions guys?

All help welcome

Old 27-03-10, 03:47 PM
OC3D Elite

A racing PC is always a good idea. It depends on if you mean sim (GTR Evo, RBR, GPL) or if you mean things like Shift/Dirt/Grid which are more arcade than sim.

The 5770 is a good card. I'd be inclined to *taps nose* come here on monday before deciding for sure

An i5 is a good purchase (not that particular bundle though), but I'd look towards AMD for a good bang-for-buck solution.
Old 27-03-10, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Ok thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about going down the route of core i3 @ 4.0ghz, 4gb ddr3 corsair 1600mhz, gigabyte g55 matx mobo and f7p cooler that will be around £320. But definatly wil consider the AMD option.

I would be running acrade mostly but like the sims like gtr evo but they will be a one off occasion.

Thanks for tip
Old 27-03-10, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

My machine (in sig) doesn't have any problems maxing out most of the racing sim games. Some newer arcadey type games (like NFS Shift) need a bit more grunt, but GTR: Evo runs a dream on this, even with lots of eye candy enabled.

I'd just buy the best gaming PC you can for your budget if you're going arcade mostly. I would certainly look at least a crossfire 5770 setup if you can. Or maybe a 5850 instead with a crossfire board for future expansion :-)
Old 27-03-10, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

You think NFS Shift needs more grunt than a GTX 280!? Your CPU is a bit old but still holds up well today, and Im running a GTX275 and can max all settings and still get perfectly playable frame rates.

I would say get a 5770 and a mobo with crossfire, then in the future when games become a bit more demanding you can always add in a second card for a bit of extra power
Old 02-04-10, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Crossfire isnt really the way i want to go. I would rather have a stupidly powerful single card tbh as most of the games i play cant take advantage of multi gpu setups. Im thinking of getting a radeon 5770 as they seem to have good ratings and reviews.

Here's the link:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...56&subcat=1515

At this moment in time ive decided to get the GPU first and add it to project MSI and see how that copes. If anything bottlenecks then can upgrade safe in the knowledge that i havent spent a couple of hundred quid and only got a few fps more than what i would have got with the current setup.

Thanks for all advice its well appreciated