Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Cases & Power

Old 14-03-10, 01:22 PM
OC3D Crew

Send a message via MSN to AMD_PBz
Corsair HX850 or XFX 850 Black edition???

Hey all I'm having a difficult time choosing between the corsair unit and the xfx unit while the corsair unit is far superior for cable management and marginally better on efficiency it's also about $50 more than xfx which would be an absolute eyesore in my storm sniper black editon I am also open to suggestions on alternate psu options as I am currently waiting for Asus Rog 890fx mb and Thuban

Thanks again

AMD_PBz

Old 14-03-10, 02:05 PM
The Guvnor

In all honesty matey the Corsair is one of the best PSU's on the planet. Give the XFX a very wide berth.

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 14-03-10, 02:10 PM
OC3D Crew

Once again more great advice from TTL
Old 14-03-10, 03:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to invisibleninja06
yea, you cant really go wrong with corsairs, they're like the hummers of the power supply world, always under rated for their wattage too. Price is a factor too, i havnt looked but if the price isnt too much more you wont go wrong with the corsair.
Old 14-03-10, 04:33 PM

If you go Corsair then you wont have to worry about second guessing about your decision.If you want the best then get the best and don't look back.
Old 14-03-10, 05:02 PM
OC3D Crew

The hx850 has very good efficiency, better than the hx1000. Imo is THE psu to buy unless you need mega power

E8400@4.5Ghz 1.4v, Asus commando, HD4870 512mb @ 835/1020, 4gb ballistix @1011, 4.4.4.8, Water, avec thermochill and fuzion, Zalman 850w Braided, Yuraku 24" aou A-MVA panel,

Win 7 64bit pro

Old 14-03-10, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Guys I'm a total noob when it comes to PSU's so when it comes to buying one I usually rely on reviews posted in forums like this. However, given that everyone rates the Corsair in this example, what exactly are people looking for in a good PSU ? Other than the obvious means of tried and tested over time, what defines a great PSU ?

Here
Old 15-03-10, 04:43 AM
OC3D Crew

Hey for me besides various reviews, the factors I take into account are as follows: continuous power rating rather than max power rating, single 12v rail vs multi rail, warranty ie corsair for the most part has 5 & 7 year warranties, the xfx has 5, functionality of the unit case in point the Hx series have flat modular cables which to me seem as though they will be able to manage far easier than the traditional round sheathed cables and lastly asthetics the corsair being black and blue will compliment the coolermaster storm sniper black edition quite nicely.

It all depends on what your budget is and what you will be powering

hope that helps.

Cheers AMD_PBz
Old 15-03-10, 02:38 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='sprento'
Guys I'm a total noob when it comes to PSU's so when it comes to buying one I usually rely on reviews posted in forums like this. However, given that everyone rates the Corsair in this example, what exactly are people looking for in a good PSU ? Other than the obvious means of tried and tested over time, what defines a great PSU ?
Read the reviews dude, its all explained in great detail in every one of our reviews.

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 21-03-10, 09:46 PM

easy choice the corasir, the xfx is not 100% stable unlike the corasir but do you really need that much power? what are your system specs going to be for this psu?