Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 05-03-10, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

Machine Power

Hey guys can someone tell me why this is happening.

Machine powers up and then power down for about 2 seconds and then powers up again and stays on.

If i shut the machine down and turn it on again its fine. If i shut the machine down and disconnect and reconnect the power cord the issue returns.

I have changed the PSU as I wanted to upgrade for crossfire 5850 but this was occurring prior to replacing the PSU.

This is annoying me so if anyone has any clues let me know

Old 05-03-10, 09:33 AM
OC3D Elite

Happens to me also, only after altering some things in the bios. I've yet to find the problem, but it works for me. I guess it's something to do with the CMOS since leaving power going through the mobo (not turning off plug or PSU switch) it starts straight away.
Old 05-03-10, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Hey thanks mate. So I might not be the only one out there. Yesterday I upgraded my P/S to a 900W to go 5850 crossfire. My old PSU didn't have enough 6 pin PCI-E connectors and even after changing the PSU it still happens. Do you guys reakon it might be worth clearing the CMOS?
Old 05-03-10, 10:15 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='CRAZYCAP'
Hey thanks mate. So I might not be the only one out there. Yesterday I upgraded my P/S to a 900W to go 5850 crossfire. My old PSU didn't have enough 6 pin PCI-E connectors and even after changing the PSU it still happens. Do you guys reakon it might be worth clearing the CMOS?
I would give it a try if it's bothering you . Yeah I've had it since I changed my PSU to the OCZ 750w. Might be worth a shot.
Old 06-03-10, 09:14 AM
The Guvnor

Is the system overclocked? Have you set anything in the bios?

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 06-03-10, 09:16 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='tinytomlogan'
Is the system overclocked? Have you set anything in the bios?
I've tried looking for it TTL, I've still yet to figure out what it is. I never got it with my old PSU but as soon as I upgraded I got it after altering the clocks. It kind of seems like it's setting overclocks at startup, modifying bios, turns off power (which happens when you save and exit from bios) and then starts up. Also does it for me sometimes @ stock.
Old 06-03-10, 09:34 AM
The Guvnor

Ive had systems do it all the time in th epast, but if it was at stock I was going to suggest a new battery as it can sometimes be when the bios is having to 're learn' the hardware config. If its overclocked and keeping the settings I really wouldnt worry too much.

Old 06-03-10, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Guys, Thanks for the feedback Tom. I am running an E8400 at 4.0Ghz. I upgraded my P/S to a 900w huntkey to run 5850's in crossfire (as my thermaltake 750w didn't have enough PCI-E connectors) and the machine still does it. If its not much to worry about then all is good.
Old 06-03-10, 12:28 PM
The Guvnor

Yeah I wouldnt worry too much, as I said Ive had machines do it all the time. Heaven and Hell did it the whole time it was overclocked. I would be interested my self to get an expert explanation on why it does it though.

Old 06-03-10, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Once again, many thanks Youngie337 and to you also Tom. Love the forums, love the new site and your vids (awesome), but the thing for me, working in the computing industry as a programmer for IBM is that it is gr8 to see a forum where people actually can be bothered replying to posts. Too many other sites out there and there is one particular in AUS where the members don't give a toss, so OVERCLOCK3D.NET all the way for me. Keep up the gr8 work.