Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Storage Mediums

Old 03-03-10, 09:17 PM

SATA III v. SATA II on SSD drives

Hey,

I am thinking of upgrading my current HDD setup.

I have read a couple of threads and as I understand it, the best drives are between the OCZ Vertex and the newish Intel drives.

I have seen a couple of drives that offer 6GB/s SATA III connection. Do these have much advantage over the SATA II drives?

Old 04-03-10, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='a8875624'
Hey,

I am thinking of upgrading my current HDD setup.

I have read a couple of threads and as I understand it, the best drives are between the OCZ Vertex and the newish Intel drives.

I have seen a couple of drives that offer 6GB/s SATA III connection. Do these have much advantage over the SATA II drives?
What drives have you seen using SATA III? The only one I know of is the Crucial RealSSD C300. And that one has had some problems with drives just dying, so it's a bit of a gamble.

Other than that one, the OCZ Vertex LE is the fastest one. It is quite a bit faster than the vanilla OCZ Vertex, but has a somewhat untested new controller, so its a question of how much you just OCZ's testing. If you want a 100% reliable and tested drive, go for the Intel X25-M 34 nm. That is the fastest one in real world usage which has been thoroughly tested.

The order of speed is:

Crucial RealSSD C300 Sata III > OCZ Vertex LE > Intel X25-M 34nm > OCZ Vertex

So if you want perfect reliability, go Intel. If you want maximum speed, go Crucial. The OCZ Vertex LE is somewhere in between, but there is a limited supply of those, and there won't be produced any more, so you've got to be quick to grab one.
Old 04-03-10, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Lallespasser'
What drives have you seen using SATA III? The only one I know of is the Crucial RealSSD C300. And that one has had some problems with drives just dying, so it's a bit of a gamble.

Other than that one, the OCZ Vertex LE is the fastest one. It is quite a bit faster than the vanilla OCZ Vertex, but has a somewhat untested new controller, so its a question of how much you just OCZ's testing. If you want a 100% reliable and tested drive, go for the Intel X25-M 34 nm. That is the fastest one in real world usage which has been thoroughly tested.

The order of speed is:

Crucial RealSSD C300 Sata III > OCZ Vertex LE > Intel X25-M 34nm > OCZ Vertex

So if you want perfect reliability, go Intel. If you want maximum speed, go Crucial. The OCZ Vertex LE is somewhere in between, but there is a limited supply of those, and there won't be produced any more, so you've got to be quick to grab one.
Thanks. Helped.