Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Networks & Security

Old 08-02-10, 02:30 PM

TalkTalk

Hey,

I just thought i might post, just in case any of you guys are having any problems with TalkTalk, that their Members Forum provides unparalleled support. I've been with TalkTalk for nearly 3 years, only 1 problem. At the time i was unaware of the forum, so i rang Customer Service, and it was sorted fairly quickly. But shortly after that i discovered the Members Forum, and omg, the support is superb. There are several TalkTalk OCE's that manage the forum 5 days a week, and they honestly know what they are talking about. They can perform line tests, profile changes, provide any information etc etc. So if your having problems with your TalkTalk line, go check out the forum; it beats phone support any day.

I'm on an upto 8Mb legacy package, and this is what i get:

Also, i'm on a Fastpath profile which reduces latency compared to Interleaved lines. This is a ping test:

Thanks,

R

EDIT: The tests were done wirelessly, also i do not work for TalkTalk lol.

Old 08-02-10, 03:28 PM
OC3D Elite

ooh Im with talk talk will have to check that out...

-----------

Project: Flat Pack - Coming soon
Old 08-02-10, 05:22 PM
OC3D Elite

Was with talktalk about 3 years ago

worst company iv ever dealt with, terrible speeds, terrible traffic shaping terrible everything

just hope nothing goes wrong as support will constantly disconnect, be non-understandable or cost the bomb.

idnet, no traffic shaping, free support and wont be changing any time soon

best thing i can say for talktalk is to migrate asap, but that was just my experience i suppose..
Old 08-02-10, 09:26 PM

What makes you say TalkTalks support costs money? The phone support has always been free, and the forum is obviously free too.

TalkTalk do shape P2P traffic yes, but it is not that bad at all. I get very decent speeds when using torrents. Furthermore, TalkTalk now offer a "Pro" package which allows Priority 2 traffic to be far less restricted. They arent a bad company at all; heck, they arent the largest residential broadband provider in the UK for nothing.

Dont knock it until you've tried the Forum support

R
Old 08-02-10, 09:37 PM
OC3D Elite

When i was with them they charged 80p/min or similar for calling support, kept you on hold for ages as they connected you to some script read from india then disconnecting you making you recall again...dropouts were frequent (weekly) and torrent speeds were about 3KB/s

Maybe they are better now but i say they are the largest residential bb supplier due to

a) buying out other firms for their share in the market

b) CONNING the average joe to "unlimited" internet (c'mon, its not unlimited, they will just control how much they want you to download

c) the average joe wanting the CHEAPEST BB out there.

I do have a bit of hatred towards this company, but after cancelling, they did carry on trying to charge us even after migration, with threats from court and support taking about 2-3 months to recognise we wrote to them etc.

We ended up writing to the CEO to complain as they carried on trying to charge us and threats.

I would probably try any company for BB before Talktalk again
Old 08-02-10, 09:58 PM

Well i dont remember them charging for the support, i've always thought that the support was "Free from a TalkTalk landline".

They dont advertise their basic package as being Unlimited, its upto 40GB download allowance per month. Yes their Pro package is unlimited, but that is definitely unlimited. Once they get a customer end download usage meter, they will start charging a £5 fine for people who go over the 40GB limit, however, if you apply for the 80GB Mega Download Boost, they will not charge you at all so it is effectively an unlimited boost.

Many people will experience bad things with bad companies, and it's in human nature to tell everybody about your poor experiences rather than telling people about a good experiences you might have had. This is my bit to say that i've had/having great experience from TalkTalk

R
Old 08-02-10, 10:56 PM
OC3D Elite

Can tell you the good experience with idnet no contract either so must be good.

So how much a month do you pay?
Old 08-02-10, 11:02 PM

I pay £20.48 a month including line rental.

R
Old 09-02-10, 12:07 AM
OC3D Elite

£24.99 here
Old 09-02-10, 12:13 AM
OC3D Elite

as far as the gadget show were concerned the only truly unlimited broadband was from sky couldnt tell u if it has changed since then tho

Intel Core i7 @ 4ghz and rising!

Noctua NH-D14 - Samsung F3 1TB - Asus P6X58D Premium - 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600

Zotac GTX580 at 895/1790/4200 @ 1030v (1000mv stock @ 772 core) - Corsair TX850 - Corsair 700D