Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Storage Mediums

Old 25-01-10, 09:39 PM

P6T SE ICH10R RAID Question

Hi all,

I have a quick question on my current raid setup.

I have 2 separate storage controllers on the go. I have the on-board ICH10 and a crap startech raid controller.

The ICH10R has 2 drives connected in no raid setup and the startech has raid0 with 2 drives.

My question is, If i were to remove the startech raid controller and attach all drives to the on-board controller, would my raid set still be in tact and would i be able to access the data on my other drives.

I only ask as i need the room for a 8800GTX as a physx card ( Definitely another post on how to do that!)

Please help as this is driving me nuts!

Thanks ppl

Old 25-01-10, 10:30 PM
The Guvnor

Im almost positive you will loose the data dude. you need to back the data up before moving.

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Old 26-01-10, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='tinytomlogan'
Im almost positive you will loose the data dude. you need to back the data up before moving.
Thanks for the reply

Doesn't Sound too bad but will the excess of 2 non-raid HDD's on the ICH10R chipset cause the raid set to malfunction and will the bios be able to detect and boot the raid set if the additon of 2 non-raid hdd's are attached?
Old 26-01-10, 08:24 PM
OC3D Elite

the raid will boot with non raids no bother mate i have 2 raptors in raid0 and 2 non members for storage and runs without a problem and i have the ICH9R chipset

Intel Core i7 @ 4ghz and rising!

Noctua NH-D14 - Samsung F3 1TB - Asus P6X58D Premium - 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600

Zotac GTX580 at 895/1790/4200 @ 1030v (1000mv stock @ 772 core) - Corsair TX850 - Corsair 700D

Old 26-01-10, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the reply m8

That's what i was hoping to hear! Thanks

Just another quick one then,

Will all drives have to be present including the non-raid drives before the raid set is created or will i be able to add the drives in after i have created the raid set.

I only ask as i fear accidental fomentation or my data backup drives that will be present.

Thank's again!
Old 26-01-10, 09:06 PM
OC3D Elite

right im not sure with that mate TTL will be able to confirm it but i cant see it being an issue as they will be non member and have nowt to do with the actual raid

Zotac GTX580 at 895/1790/4200 @ 1030v (1000mv stock @ 772 core) - Corsair TX850 - Corsair 700D

Old 26-01-10, 09:12 PM

Right, Well i did try this about a week ago. I attached 2 drives, crated a raid set, installed win7, shutdown, installed the 2 drives and it failed to boot. I can't figure this out and it's so frustrating!

The main reason i am wanting to do this is i am not gaining any performance boost using RAID0 on this Sh**y StarTech raid card!

I think the on-board Intel controller will perform much better.( I hope)
Old 26-01-10, 10:14 PM
OC3D Elite

thats maybe the problem there man having the raid running off a pci raid controller and ur non members off the onboard controller

now sure if adding in drives after u have used the raid but i dont think it should be a problem

Old 28-01-10, 05:28 PM

So if i do the followiung steps below it should all work?

Where i get stuck is when i configure the bios to raid. i think it sees all drives attached as raid.

remove the raid card, attach my raid drives to the onboard controller, configure BIOS to raid, boot to onboard raid bios, configure drives, boot to win7 install cd and install driver for raid.
Old 28-01-10, 05:53 PM
OC3D Elite

it will only see the drives as a member or non memeber's

did you make a back up of your previous OS install?

take out the old raid card, then when ur pluggin the drives into the sata ports there might be 2 different coloured sata ports, use the 2 same coloured with the drives u wanna raid (just looked at pics of your motherboard and it looks like your raid satas are the ones that are pointing out and not the ones pointing off the side) then when u go into the bios it should be on the first screen 'configure sata as' and it will automatically be set as IDE and you want to change it to raid, exit and save the settings in the bios, you will more than likely need to install the raid drivers im not sure if i did on mines? just boot from the cd, get to the win 7 install menu and install the drivers from a flash drive i think is how u do it or the m/b driver disc that should work also, then when u start up you will need to press CTRL+I (not sure if thats the correct buttons for ICH10R) after it posts to get into the raid set up, select the discs in there and make them memeber discs (best to name it something i have mines as raid os) once its set up go back into your bios and go into where you select the boot device and select the raid drive to boot from

im stuck if you backed up your previous install of how to get that on the drivers personally i always do a fresh install of windows, but if you need to you can just go about installing your OS normally and after that installs that should be you sorted

sorry if this isnt the best guide mate ive only recently been using raid on my pc so im no expert in it yet experienced members will be able to point you in the direction if i have got it incorrect

good luck mate hope ya get on with it fine