Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Overclocking

Old 17-01-10, 10:47 AM
OC3D Elite

Slower Clock, faster CPU?

So I was running my Q8200 @ 3.2GHz but started getting some crashes when I was running games after a while. Did some scans for viruses and what not and ran CCleaner and was still getting them. Turned the overclock down to 3GHz and now it seems to be actually running faster and doesn't crash anymore. Is it possible that it was originally an unstable overclock even though in stress tests it was fine?

Check sig for other components.

Formerly Known as siravarice
Old 17-01-10, 11:06 AM

Are you running windows?

I suppose it's possible. If something like the 'System' process on windows falls down and gets locked into a loop waiting for some hardware to respond or something... Or the NT kernel or whatever... It'd make the machine feel sluggish but not necessarily fall over...

I guess a simple test would be to run the stress tests at the higher clocks in safe mode. Then 1 by 1, start adding back in all the daft services called up.

See what's in your event logs. That might shed some light on it. Perhaps something svchost has called went a bit squiffy...

Perhaps at really silly clock speeds you could get soft ram errors and whatnot. Are you running any posh ram, ECC or whatever?

Were you getting application crashes or more serious problems with blue-screens and the like?

If it was a software issue like so called malware or viruses I'd imagine you'd get the errors regardless of clock speeds...

I'm new on this forum and one thing I have seen is that if a benchmark/stress test completes without errors they class the overclock is stable. This is something I don't agree with. People are doing things like 8 hour stress tests. What's 8 hours when they might want to a 24 hour gaming marathon or whatever...

Don't forget - when you're running these tests... Only little bits of your machine's going to be working. Moving a mouse and generating interrupts or playing music and playing havoc with DMA and things can make a machine fall down...

In a nutshell... if you're getting errors - it's unstable. Regardless of clock speeds. A stable machine is one that produces no errors. Ever.
Old 17-01-10, 11:10 AM
OC3D Elite

No just some Kingston 800 ram. It's not overclocked though. It wasnt blue screens or anything, it would literally freeze and do nothing and you would have to restart. Running windows 7 pro 64bit. I know it was originally a bug with windows 7 but i thought they had fixed it by now. Anyway, everything seems fine now, haven't had a problem since putting it down to 3GHz. If I start getting the problem again then I will look into it more deeply.

Old 17-01-10, 11:23 AM

Just noticed 'i ran ccleaner'...of course you're in windows... When it froze could you CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot or did you have to prod the reset switch?

I've just put together a couple of boxes running 7 64 ultimate...but with AMD/nvidia gubbins in... Be good for us to compare faults/flaws...

If you get bored of 3Gig... perhaps have a look in system information (run msinfo32 as admin) and have a look in summary/hardware resources/conflictssharing...

Try and get that list as short as possible. Things like soundcards sharing interrupts and stuff can flatten a windows machine... Ideally the most 'responsive' system won't have anything in that list. That'd make it feel faster clock for clock. And possibly help with any stability issues hiding in the background.

Can you for example run the machine and do your benches and whatnot at 3.2gig with only a chip,harddrive,ram and a mouse plugged in? and with all the extra motherboard things like sound/firewire/usb/etc etc switched off? This takes stress away from your systemboard as it doesn't have to poll lots of oddbod hardware.

A hard-lock (just freezing, no errors, no bluescreen) tends to be memory related...or perhaps you're pushing a mosfet or 2 over the edge heat-wise...

If it locks while playing a sound and the sound loops like a stuck vinyl records...or moving the mouse or pressing keys...then it's IRQ/address/DMA/IO related...

Best of luck with the 7 bud... hope you get on with it better than I am! (I'm solaris till i die...)
Old 17-01-10, 11:24 AM

Have you got a link to the 'original bug in 7' you mentioned? I've never seen anything on technet...

And perhaps try running slacker latency on the ram at 3.2gig...see what happens then...
Old 17-01-10, 01:55 PM
OC3D Elite

No I don't I'm afraid, this was one of the first bugs to be encountered and I was pretty sure they fixed it. The computer would freeze and I could do nothing except reboot. It's been fine for ages but just started doing it all of a sudden, when I get more time I will see if I can loosen the timings on the RAM.

Old 17-01-10, 05:48 PM

What build was the bug in? (And what's the build you're on now?) - I'll see if I can replicate it on an intel box...

If it was bob-on for ages at 3.2 and suddenly gone freaky then i'd bet a device driver or a naughty system .dll is the cause of your woes...

Try giving your sticks something really lazy like 6's 18 2T and see how you get on... maybe it'll cut the controller some slack... I shouldn't ask but I trust you're at the right voltages ;-)
Old 18-01-10, 09:02 AM
OC3D Elite

Oh yes very much so, just the standard voltages for ram, and the what was the perfect voltage for the overclock. I have no idea how to find out what build revision it is though lol

Old 18-01-10, 10:23 AM

For the version information - run "slmgr -dlv" from an admin command prompt... 6.1.xxxx.xxxxx

I had a look through the 7 knowledge base and couldn't find a single mention of a hard lock that was down to the OS...

As I've said...if it was right at 3.2 for ages and then gone mad all of a sudden (and you haven't changed a single piece of hardware or changed anything in the BIOS) then it's down to either:

a) A background process (Run a 24hour stress test in safe-mode)

b) A new driver, either a poorly coded one or one that's made a device change its resources (Have a look at your APIC tables and see what's going on regarding IRQs and whatnot) - try removing all unnessary devices as I've said earlier

c) A couple of tracks or mosfets on your board or other bit of hardware getting a bit old and tired

Let me know your build and I'll try to replicate the problem... I've got a system that's close to yours... But with Corsair RAM...
Old 18-01-10, 02:29 PM

I seem to have a Black screen problem in 7 64bit too..... Hmmm, Stable and stress tested, still randomly if left Idle the screen goes black and Will not resume or anything....

I'm not so sure they have resolved the issue tbh.