Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 08-01-10, 06:15 PM

Mobility HD5870....Oh

So the mobility HD 5870 is actually a HD 5750.....why not just call it a mobility HD 5750 ?

Sounds rather misleading to me. You think anyone buying a laptop might just think they are ACTUALLY getting a HD 5870?

We've had half the graphics card fanboys screaming about despicable re-naming and false advertising that's associated with it in recent times. Is it likely those same red-faced soapbox ranters will vent their rage at this travesty?

Old 08-01-10, 06:19 PM
The Guvnor

That is uber confusing tbh

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 08-01-10, 06:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Hemicuda'
We've had half the graphics card fanboys screaming about despicable re-naming and false advertising that's associated with it in recent times. Is it likely those same red-faced soapbox ranters will vent their rage at this travesty?
They're busy writing their articles about the HD5145/65 rebadged 55nm Dx10.1 offerings I'm sure. They must be cos it's old news. (cept I challenge u to find it)

U gotta get used to it. 1 side 'allegedly' does something, and the fanboi camp of the other goes beserk. That camp does something and u would be lucky to see an article about it.

Anywho, crap ""news"" sites are what they are.

Taking a serious note on it, I don't really see the issue. All the previous incarnations of ATI Mobility, like the HD4650 aint the same as the HD4650 u get in the pc form. nVidia are the same, they have millions of 8600M laptops, they aren't the same as 8600 pc cards. GT 250 laptops, HD 4850 laptops - same deal. They're usually different gpus too.

Same with the HD5145/65 mobility options. The Dx10.1 is not exactly a piece of crap, and I'm sure there's a massive stock of it/them somewhere, so use the damn things. As with a new product range, u keep current with the naming scheme, only ur not trying to trick any1, the number 5145 is easy to compare to 5870 in terms of performance expectation.

"rebadge zomg!!" lol

Old 08-01-10, 07:48 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeeaahh old news lol
Old 08-01-10, 08:33 PM

@ Rastalovich

In all honesty the post was a tongue-firmly-in-cheek jibe.

I belong (as do most I suspect) to many online forums, and as is readily apparent, a great percentage of posts lately have been media/PR induced fire-stoking of the "HD5xxx series is the pinnacle of human civilisation/Fermi (supposed) setbacks mean the end of nVidia" conflagration, or variations on the theme

At the moment I'm trying to gauge the "personality" if you will, or the forums here. I've frequented OC3D for quite a while but have browsed the article/review/guide base and been a little selfish in putting back into forums (in general) through lack of free time and expediency.

I now find myself with more free time due to restructuring my catering business as I'm rehabilitating after undergoing Cochlear Implant, and would like to give back a little to the sites that have been invaluable in building up my own tech knowledge base.

I've found that a little reconnaissance helps in getting the feel for the place. For instance researching a posters component specs and advising on how to achieve a stable RAM overclock in order that they may then find their stable CPU oc is wasted time and energy if the poster is only interested in a lovely CPU-Z validation banner and cares little for Vcore ,wouldn't know tRD from tURD and is more intent on logging post counts.

I figure a few well spaced posts will allow me best rationalize the time for the posters who really need help.

Rant over....

As an aside, at my Cochlear Implant "switch-on"- the electonic implant array was calibrated (MAPped) and programmed using nVidia GPGPU technology- I went from 2.5% hearing ability to 85% in three minutes thanks to the folks at Med-El and nVidia......it's not all about fps!

@ killablade

Very insightful
Old 08-01-10, 09:08 PM
OC3D Elite

Number of years ago my aunt had a 2 part implant surgically put in her scalp with a 2nd part that I think magnetically clips to it. Took a whole load of visits to calibrate the metalic sampled sounds into something she could comprehend decently, and sometimes u could hear weird noises coming from it urself. That was a fair time ago, and I'm sure it still needs to be calibrated from time to time.

Absolutely no idea what it's made from or what crazy machine talks with it, Siemens rings a bell, but don't know anything else.

She's top side of 80 and tbh I really don't know how much she benefits from it right now. But she is losing short term memory and all kinds of age related things - but is one heck of a happy soul, so u just kinda go along with everything. Keeps telling u u've really grown up and not seen u for a while etc.

Around the time of having it tho, u could tell just by the smile on her face whilst speaking to her that although it was sampled - it was inherently hearing when u never b4.

Old 08-01-10, 10:53 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Hemicuda'

@ killablade

Very insightful
Ain't it though haha
Old 09-01-10, 02:05 AM

@ Rastalovich

Same two part deal, tho the tech has likely changed a lot- My implant came with remote control and is bluetooth enabled and well as telecoil. Success of the implant differs greatly from person to person. In my case I went from being profoundly deaf (lost my hearing over the course of 7 hours, almost 6 years ago) to being able to carry on a conversation without visual clues in about 3 minutes.

The tech involves a thin wire with 32 electrode points on it inserted into the inner ear-these fire in set sequences to mimic how the cochear converts the movement of tiny hairs (via sound waves and air pressure) in the inner ear to electrical signals. The nVidia setup consisted of a 9800GTX+/GTS 250 for processing and one other for outputting video the the monitor. The system self tests by sending out huge combinations of signals to ascertain which 32 areas require electonic stimulus (and at what mVoltage and number of Hertz ) and what patterns are effective in reproducing a natural "sound"- this process took around 20 seconds, as opposed to the 2-3 hours using CPU as the processor.

I board looked ATX size but had PCI-X slots. Don't know what the CPU was as the audiologist wouldn't let me near the thing to access the device manager, while she seemed to think the hardware ran by Voodoo (the occult version not the GPU)!

Ah, killablade, QED.
Old 10-01-10, 06:57 AM

Marketing HD5750 as a mobile HD5870 is misleading, as is marketing 8800GTS 512MB/9800GTX+/GTS250 as GTX280M à la nV.

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯