Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 07-01-10, 05:10 PM
OC3D Elite

HP Slate... wait wtf?

Wasn't it supposedly the name of Apple's new tablet?

But now it looks like they turned it into the official terminology for tablets. lol.

And for those of you who don't understand, now there wil be four outsanding computer products. Desktop, Laptop, Netbook AND Slate.

Well this is what it seems like they are trying to say at CES:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8444672.stm

Old 07-01-10, 05:14 PM
OC3D Elite

Not sure. I'm personally led to believe that the ""iSlate"" was a purposely-leaked bit of info to sidetrack competitors. Kinda thing Apple do.

But not only HP, I think ASUS have a good model, along with a few others. Not sure about the model names, but maybe ""Slates"" are what they're going to be known as as oppose to Apple's ""Tablet"" thinking.

Pfft ?!?!

All nice and shiney tho !

Old 07-01-10, 05:20 PM
OC3D Elite

It does look very fashionable. But I wonder how long it will take for it to be stolen from peoples' bags? lol
Old 08-01-10, 10:06 AM

Apple's offering is rumoured to be at £300 price point. If it is, and it's a cut down version of OSX then we're having it. The missus only needs web and e-mail and £300 for a device like that is perfect for her.
Old 08-01-10, 10:33 AM
OC3D Elite

It'd wholeheartedly be OSX. More or less whatever Linux can run on, some kind of Leopard will find it's way on it.

Just a word on these Slate things being sexeh. This is an offering Verison were showing off at CES, not sure on the 'real' manufacturer, probably something along the lines of HTC - but there are some funky dual ARM processing nonsense-umma-thingy and nvidia's new Tegra2 stuff-umma-something:

U know Apple's proposed offering would kinda look the same, but instead of being something u look at and think it's sexy - u'd also have an overwhelming need to pick it up and give it a squeeze. That's without even seeing what it is yet !

At the show they were demo'ing how these things run the Unreal 3 engine, 1080p and all kinda of crazy web flash 10.1 and whatever. A comment from a tech review guy who belongs to one of the partner links at the bottom of oc3d's pages, was along the lines of these things versus the new phones coming out - in so much that these things handled everything thrown at them with great speed, whereas the newer phones were still stuttering at places they used to.

I'd love a device like this in the front room. Full net access, touch screen hopefully, and access to (and control of) other pcs/mac/gadgets throughout the house. All wifi'd, bt'd. Ugh, noiceness.

Old 08-01-10, 02:03 PM

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm thinking. However, I want a slightly cut down version, don't need the whole PC thing
Old 08-01-10, 05:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Could you guys seeit replacing laptops sometime in the future?

If it had USB ports then you could just stick in a mini keyboard.

I would love to use one lieing in my bed. None of that "perfet position" nonsense with the laptop.
Old 08-01-10, 08:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Way things are going with all the wireless gadgetry going around, it wouldn't surprise me if u had a tablet like in the picture and could walk into ur room, placing it on an area and disco- ur keyboard/mouse/speaker -AND- monitor would all detect it and use it. Wireless charging also.

Need to go back in the other room ? just pick it up and take it with u. Turn ur tv/sound system on via the tablet, select what u want to watch and away u go again.

On ur iPhone (or any of the phones capable I guess) is back on the other desk, wirelessly charging - but it's also wirelessly networked to the system and u can chuck new music/shows on it from the other room.

Low power for portable, but once put on a desk u could have fairly good gaming power.

It all seems possible, going through just the things shown off at CES2010, just getting all the people concerned together would be the trick.

Old 08-01-10, 09:47 PM
OC3D Elite

I feel the buzz on this isn't as big as the buzz for netbooks were.
Old 09-01-10, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
Way things are going with all the wireless gadgetry going around, it wouldn't surprise me if u had a tablet like in the picture and could walk into ur room, placing it on an area and disco- ur keyboard/mouse/speaker -AND- monitor would all detect it and use it. Wireless charging also.

Need to go back in the other room ? just pick it up and take it with u. Turn ur tv/sound system on via the tablet, select what u want to watch and away u go again.

On ur iPhone (or any of the phones capable I guess) is back on the other desk, wirelessly charging - but it's also wirelessly networked to the system and u can chuck new music/shows on it from the other room.

Low power for portable, but once put on a desk u could have fairly good gaming power.

It all seems possible, going through just the things shown off at CES2010, just getting all the people concerned together would be the trick.
We're almost there mate, just needs a bit more clever bluetooth management really. The iPhone remotes do that sort of thing, though I use my logitech's to turn everything on etc.