Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 20-12-09, 07:25 AM
OC3D Elite

AMD's Lead With DirectX 11 Is 'insignificant,' Nvidia Says

I gave it what I thought was a good amount of time to rise to the surface, around 5 days I think I saw this first in the financial sector, being as the enthusiast sites are so keen to get news on graphics and so forth for their punters... apparently not tho. If it's not -ve nVidia info, it doesn't seem to make the headlines. Something definitely smells in the community. "News" or just enthusiast sites, are meant to represent the market with a broad unbiased nature imo, and not harping for political or favouring interests.

Anywho, being as there is more than 1 graphic card company, I figured in the name of decency, others should get a good chance to read some information, even if the article is chopped a bit - but atleast it's 1 of maybe 3 sites who thought it interesting enough.

Nvidia brushed off the technology lead that rival Advanced Micro Devices built by releasing the first graphics chips to support DirectX 11, saying the release only gives AMD a short-term advantage that won't have a long-term effect on the graphics market.

Source: PCWorld.com (shame on every1 else that PCWorld are required for linkage)

Old 20-12-09, 07:40 AM
OC3D Elite

Want to buy an aftermarket cooler for ur GT330, GTS340/350 or GTX360/380 ?

Silenx seem to have seen the references : IXG-80HA2

Old 20-12-09, 07:49 AM
OC3D Elite

Benchmarks showing ur cards are better than anything else out there atm ? (where have we seen that b4, although then it was BIG news)

Resident Evil 5:

Stalker: Clear Sky:

Far Cry 2:

Absolutely fantastic - and ofc fake like it's predecessors !

Old 20-12-09, 08:04 AM
OC3D Elite

Well, I've read the above three posts and can't really make head nor tail of what they are trying to prove. I'm a kind of person that doesn't usually like grey areas and like to make decisions based on fact not fiction or rumour mongering.

Are you saying nvidia put those graphs up on their own site with no realistic data?

I've always used nvidia products as far back as I can remember and i think the only other card I used and still have is a voodoo 3d.

Do me a favour and bear in mind it's Sunday morning ( the grey matter is still trying to get organsied! ) and put in laymans terms what exactly the above three posts are saying.
Biostar Tpower I55, I5 750 @ 4.2Ghz, 4GB Kingston DDR3, Custom water loop - Thermochill PA120.3, Heatkiller 3.0 LC, Laing DDC Ultra, XSPC res top, XSPC white hose, Asus 5870, Antec Quattro 1000, Lian Li PC-X2000, Win7 ultimate.

Old 20-12-09, 08:07 AM
OC3D Elite

That's not bad at all, especially the far cry 2 one.

Compared to the hd5970 there doesn't seem to be much of a 'quality' difference though. Or at least no difference between playable and well playable. As usual we will have to wait for prices and independent benchmarks before we can say anything relevant.

Assuming these benches are true, the cards are widely available at a reasonable price (unlike ATi atm), this could be a winner.

Old 20-12-09, 08:17 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='lasher'
Well, I've read the above three posts and can't really make head nor tail of what they are trying to prove. I'm a kind of person that doesn't usually like grey areas and like to make decisions based on fact not fiction or rumour mongering.

Are you saying nvidia put those graphs up on their own site with no realistic data?

I've always used nvidia products as far back as I can remember and i think the only other card I used and still have is a voodoo 3d.

Do me a favour and bear in mind it's Sunday morning ( the grey matter is still trying to get organsied! ) and put in laymans terms what exactly the above three posts are saying.
1. they reckon amd's short grasp of glory is insignificant compared to their tech and what it means on release and over the next 4/5 years (til the next api change).

2. aftermarket cooler on sale spouting 300 series specs.

3. fake benchmarks ftw ! get the font right, throw in a logo and every1 feels gooey. (can't remember which forum guy made them)

AMD has sold 800000 units in the HD5xxx series (which is a financial term for 'shipped' not actually sold to an end user). Which means in the first instance 40nm is working fine, as some members will point out (driver hickups to one side, which is probably more Win7 based), and compare that figure to how many enthusiast pcs in the world - how much of an advantage have they been allowed to grab ?

Old 20-12-09, 12:43 PM
The Guvnor

I think 2010 could be a great point for technology. No matter what happens with each team I hope prices are driven down, as thats what we all need.

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 21-12-09, 09:02 AM
OC3D Elite

Prices are another bone of contention. People are being butt tapped over the existing availablity, and no news or enthusiast site is saying 1 damn thing officially.

I can remember long slagging articles over the prices of 8800 GTX/Ultras.

It's nothing to do with s/d, it's pure greed. The likes of consoles released with limited availablity do-not get their prices hiked by the stores by £100 or so. Little stores u can partially forgive. Other countries I've not seen the hike. Atleast not to the extent.

Old 21-12-09, 10:42 AM
OC3D Elite

Fermi's graphic architecture explained

Gonna bang the news snippits within this thread, as they are out there if u look hard enough. (not in the usual sources obviously)

Next-gen silicon 10 times as powerful as existing Nvidia chip

nVidia invented the GPU in 1999 ? C'mon now. Voodoo any1 ? ..

Get this: we asked if it could ray-trace a 3D world fast enough for gaming in real time on a consumer machine. Nvidia said yes it could…

Source: TechRadar

Old 21-12-09, 02:12 PM
OC3D Elite

TechRadar is just PCFormats and other Future publications off spring isnt it?

I get PCFormat and they are usually pretty good with " news "

On the pricing issue i think the reason its not been so much spoken off so far is we are all still sore from the last time! Cant wait for the next "butt tapping"
Biostar Tpower I55, I5 750 @ 4.2Ghz, 4GB Kingston DDR3, Custom water loop - Thermochill PA120.3, Heatkiller 3.0 LC, Laing DDC Ultra, XSPC res top, XSPC white hose, Asus 5870, Antec Quattro 1000, Lian Li PC-X2000, Win7 ultimate.