Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Screens and Displays

Old 18-12-09, 12:41 PM

New monitor - 24" or 26"?

'allo - if anyone who knows more about this than I do (which is more or less all of you, I expect) could give me a hand picking a monitor, I'd be very grateful...

To start with - I'm currently looking at a 26" Iiyama E2607WSD, 1920*1200 (sorry, I can't post a link - won't let me). Does anyone have any opinions on it? Is 26" just too much monitor?

I think I would prefer a 1920*1200 to 1080, as I use my machine most often for general computer stuff, rather than watching films. That said, I do watch some films (rarely HD), and play a bit of l4d.

I'm not sure whether to go 26" or 24", given that it'd be the same resolution either way. Would having a 26" stress my graphics card more, or is that entirely down to resolution?

I'm not looking to spend masses of money, as it's being bought for me as a gift, and I'd feel bad about asking for too much. 200 quid would be about the limit.

So - if you don't like the Iiyama above, any recommendations? Preferably 24 (or 26)", preferably (but not definitely) 16:10, and definitely 200 quid tops.

Cheers!

Old 18-12-09, 12:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Medium Dave'
I'm not sure whether to go 26" or 24", given that it'd be the same resolution either way. Would having a 26" stress my graphics card more, or is that entirely down to resolution?
I went 24" myself, in the Dell flavor. Don't know the Iiyama model.

The resolution is all ur gfxcard will care about. 26" over 24" wouldn't make a difference to it.

My way of looking at it was, as 26"/27" would be a stretched 24" standard, I'd stick with 24". Any bigger and I'd think 30".

Old 18-12-09, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Once you go 30" you never look back... lol. That's 2560x1600 (16:10).

There are new monitors with a 27" diagonal, that support 2560x1440 (16:9). That would be a good choice.
Old 18-12-09, 08:27 PM
OC3D Elite

been lookin at this 1! thought it wud be good for the price!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...id=510&subcat=

asus top gtx260, 4gb geil ultra 2133mhz

1tb f1 spinpoint, toughpowers 1200w psu

falling apart antec 1200
Old 19-12-09, 07:39 AM
OC3D Crew

After nearly 3 months of hunting and asking lots of questions I ended up getting this

HPLP2475W

So far I can say it is great.

There is a review here:

LINK

I would look at the DELL line too. I use them at work and they are good but there are lots to chose from, avoid the cheaper ranges though.

Ed
Old 19-12-09, 07:50 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='k4p84'
After nearly 3 months of hunting and asking lots of questions I ended up getting this

HPLP2475W

So far I can say it is great.

There is a review here:

LINK

I would look at the DELL line too. I use them at work and they are good but there are lots to chose from, avoid the cheaper ranges though.

Ed
We use the 19" versions of these in work by the 100s, the 24"s we have are rare. Heck of alot better than the Samsung & Sharp ones we have by the 1000.

Have to say tho, the HP brand is good.

This isn't as easy a decision as it was so many years ago. Dell used to be the quality factor, but Samsung (who Dell are cherry picking screens from these days), iiyama, acer, asus, hp - infact quite a few brands, are making some really good ones these days. I've adopted an Eizo in work and it's definition is different again, usb controlled menus too

So much so that the £160 24" Sammy has linked to is so comparatively cheap, it'd be hard to argue against. Number of inputs sets it aside from many others - but so what ? Iiyama obviously identified that consumers what an affordable 24" screen without the many inputs professionals may use.

And ofc, £160 - what exactly can u complain about when u spend that ? And tbh u can only tell when 1 monitor is better than another when u see them side by side - usually.

(just make sure u haven't got a m8 who might bring his Dell over )

Old 19-12-09, 08:17 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'

And ofc, £160 - what exactly can u complain about when u spend that ? And tbh u can only tell when 1 monitor is better than another when u see them side by side - usually.
thats what i was lookin at rasta! and the fact he said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Medium Dave'

I think I would prefer a 1920*1200 to 1080, as I use my machine most often for general computer stuff, rather than watching films. That said, I do watch some films (rarely HD), and play a bit of l4d.

I'm not looking to spend masses of money, as it's being bought for me as a gift, and I'd feel bad about asking for too much. 200 quid would be about the limit.
i mean if he wanted a bargain there's always 1 of these! but he mentioned iiyama already! note this can be tilted horizontally too!

http://www.saverstore.com/product/20...onitor-2436Pwa

asus top gtx260, 4gb geil ultra 2133mhz

1tb f1 spinpoint, toughpowers 1200w psu

falling apart antec 1200
Old 19-12-09, 09:26 AM

cheers

I shall llook into those now.

I've got a few in mind - there's a respectably-priced samsung with a PVA screen (F2380), a Dell with led backlights(G2410), the huge iiyama (which replaces the E2607WSV), a good samsung all-rounder (2443BW) - but a johnny-come-lately to the list is the Sync Master 2343BW. It's quite an odd resolution - 2048*1152 - but this means it seems to have the best of both worlds (16:9 format, but just about as useful as a 1920*1200). It's 23 inch - this combined with the pixel density should, to my mind, result in a very sharp picture - and the colours are said to be vivid and even.

I'm not understanding what's not to like about this screen - there must be something, or more people would be raving about it. What is it that I'm missing? I'm really leaning towards it, at the moment...
Old 21-12-09, 07:53 PM
OC3D Elite

Those Iiyama's can be a pain.

For a single purchase they are probably ok, but we bought a 30 - 40 of them for a project at work and a few more here and then afterwards and they had the most faulty on arrival than any of the other monitors we happen to buy.

I actually have the exact one Sammy linked to on my desk for every day use at work. It's picture is ok but definitely not as good as some of the more established brands. The connectivity on the other hand is great, with DSub, DVI and HDMI.

For the money it's alright so long as it turns up working as a no frills monitor.
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit
Old 29-12-09, 04:47 PM

I went through this aswell before I dived in and bought my Samsung SM2433BW 24" and have to say, the sammy is the nutts.

Brilliant blacks, perfect contrast and out of the box a great picture.

Also, very good looking screen and standard samsung spacings for the wallmount meaning a cheap generic wallmount can be picked up off ebay easily.

Have to recommend spending the extra £40 on the samsung tbh. Ebuyer offer free postage aswell if you can wait 5 days!