Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 11-12-09, 10:38 AM

Corsair Obsidian 800 D Watercooled

hello all. I just got the Obsidian 800d and plan to watercool it. I have made a picture sketching out what i want to put in it and where to put it. I was hoping for some feedback on the location of things.

I have bought most of the things to put in (list follows):

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage II Extreme, X58

Processor: Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-920

Memory: Corsair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz 6GB

Video: PowerColor Radeon HD 5870 1GB LCS GDDR5 Factory mounted EK Waterblock

HDD: 2 X WD Caviar® Black 1TB 3,5", SATA Raid 0 1 X Western Digital Caviar® GreenPower™ 1TB as backup

PSU: Corsair TX 750W PSU

Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D

Sound: SupremeFX X-Fi - 7.1 surround

Optical: Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-5240S Black

Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 226 BW and a Syncmaster 930 BF

Cooling parts:

Pump: Laing ddc-1 pro with EK-DDC X-TOP-V2-AC

Radiator: Feser X-Changer 360mm

Reservoir: Swiftech Mcres-Micro Rev.2

Cpu Block: Swiftech Apogee GTZ

Fans Radiator: Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm Times 3

Fans Cabinet: Noctua NF-P14-1200 140mm Times 2 and Noctua NF-P12-1300 Times2

Fittings: 1/2" ID

Tubing: 1/2" ID Tygon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 800 Test1.jpg (232.7 KB, 104 views)

Old 11-12-09, 11:06 AM
The Guvnor

The fan in the front bay will need to be able to draw in air from the outside or it will not work, with the rad fans pushing air out of the case you will not need this anyways. The HDD fan is 140mm aswell. Dont put the pump down there or you will block the very little air that makes it inside.

Just a quick blurt while I drink my tea

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Old 11-12-09, 01:41 PM

i was thinking it did not need to draw from the outside just give the air coming up a bit of a push toward the back just above the graphics card? Or should i just reverse the fan in the back and add a filter?

Any suggestions to alternate placement of pump? looks wise i was pretty much set for the place i had it.
Old 11-12-09, 02:07 PM
OC3D Elite

awsome choice on fans IMO cant beat noctua
Old 13-01-10, 01:49 PM

I was wondering... Will this setup handle chipset and mosfet blocks aswell or will i then have to go for a separate loop for that?
Old 14-01-10, 11:06 AM

Yeah, should handle it fine mate I think, stick fans in Push pull to further reduce temps a bit... A Res-top for that Laing would tidy things up, free up drive bays and reduce tubing a bit
Old 15-01-10, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='biscuitboy'
Yeah, should handle it fine mate I think, stick fans in Push pull to further reduce temps a bit... A Res-top for that Laing would tidy things up, free up drive bays and reduce tubing a bit
Ah, that makes better sense!

Nothing like teamwork!

Still far from ideal-for a big chassis,the pump position as not to obstruct airflow coming up from the bottom chamber seems to have limited options-any ideas?

Old 18-01-10, 08:16 PM

Thax for getting back to me on this. Apreciate it!. Hemicuda how is the vibration noise from that D5 pump mounted as it is in the picture?
Old 18-01-10, 09:05 PM
OC3D Elite

is there no way of puting the pump in the lower part were the PSU is?,i think thats were Woppu put his
Old 18-01-10, 10:47 PM

Actually used some double-sided sticky foam pad for holding it in place at present-not permanent- but vibration ok (so far)

The build is actually for a friend so we used the hottest setup we could find (680i SLI) and have been trying out different arrangements of fans in push/pull as well as re-jigging the setup with my air cooled GTX280 and an old 7950GX2 - used the GPU waterblocks just to see how the extra tubing would affect air flow. The only options we've come up with so far are its present location with 120mm fans in push/pull from the bottom chamber (as airflow from the 140 would be blocked or cause crossflow), or a mounting adapter and vibration damping pads to mount the pump vertically next/near to the motherboard so we can use 140mm (Noctua) fans to draw the air up. I've seen mounting adapters for the D5 but none available in this technologically backward country.

Found that mounting the fan in the bottom section of the chassis severly limits airflow into the upper chamber and the final build calls for the install of a Swiftech MicroRes rather than a bay mounted res so wanted to keep the vent area as uncluttered as possible.

EDIT:

If anyone would like to know temps with the different cooling setups I can start a thread or add to this post (whichever is best).

Using CoreTemp for CPU temps, EVGA Precision for reporting GPU and card PCB temps, and a very unscientific front bay fan controller with four diodes for measuring temps on northbridge, mosfets, one perched on RAM slot latch and one hung in harddrive cage. Ambient room temp measured using the a digital meat thermometer (I'm a chef, shoot me).- We're not talking M.I.T. here-just temps to the closest degree at a totally arbitrary 20-30 from startup running games and Prime95

Will be resuming testing next week as the chassis side panel and some acrylic is at the local engineering shop being water cut/CNC'ed for some stylised Celtic knotwork window treatment ( Irish ancestry).